Recommendations on a worthwhile alignment shop?

hoxviii

Ford-natic
Executive Summary:

So I'm just looking for an honest place that won't try to hand me a line of BS and just align my truck, preferably someone that knows the intricacies of Ford TIB/TTB. I don't care about spending money so long as they're up front with me. I tried the Les Schwab in Draper to no avail. I had it aligned there a month ago and I brought it in due to a little bit of funny tire wear.

Back story:

So I brought the truck back for a slight feather on the inside edge of the passengers front tire.

He told me even if they aligned it again that the only way to stop the excessive tire wear would be to replace both front tires (they're a month old and the wear is a only a slight feather). first whiff of it. . .

I was then told I have a pull under braking and it is a brake issue, probably a stuck caliper. First, i don't have a pull under braking. Secondly, I firmly stated the truck has brand new calipers, MC, pads, wheel bearings, and turned rotors on it within the last 5 weeks. Thirdly, why would that be causing wear indicative of poor camber or toe? Second whiff. . .

He then informed me that a bad proportioning valve could be sending too much/not enough pressure to one side of the truck, at which point I pointed out that proportioning valves are front/rear biased, not side to side; to which his response was "Oh, well it's side to side on alot of newer vehicles" Three strikes, you're out. . .

At this point I asked if the out of spec cross camber could possibly be causing this pull under braking (on their re-check it shows it out of spec). Got an immediate "No, cross camber won't do that, you have a bigger issue that we need to look into."

"Even on a twin i-beam truck?"

"No."

At which point I explained to him the peculiarity of TIB with how if cross camber is out under braking, it will cause one of the tires to further go out of camber, which will put a pull on the steering link and lead to a pull under braking.

Then I was told if I wanted them to touch it again it would be a minimum of $200, to which I told him I wasn't going to spend another nickle there as I don't appreciate being lied to and then asked how many customers just buy whatever line they're handed and sign the check without knowing the difference.

I then commented that shouldn't their price sheet say "set toe, everything else additional" instead of "align everything that's factory adjustable".

I got a blank stare which I walked out to.

This is why the only thing I go to a shop for is tires and alignments, can't imagine if I had to go through this everytime I ever had to have something done.

Justin

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Executive Summary:

So I'm just looking for an honest place that won't try to hand me a line of BS and just align my truck, preferably someone that knows the intricacies of Ford TIB/TTB. I don't care about spending money so long as they're up front with me. I tried the Les Schwab in Draper to no avail. I had it aligned there a month ago and I brought it in due to a little bit of funny tire wear.

Back story:

So I brought the truck back for a slight feather on the inside edge of the passengers front tire.

He told me even if they aligned it again that the only way to stop the excessive tire wear would be to replace both front tires (they're a month old and the wear is a only a slight feather). first whiff of it. . .

I was then told I have a pull under braking and it is a brake issue, probably a stuck caliper. First, i don't have a pull under braking. Secondly, I firmly stated the truck has brand new calipers, MC, pads, wheel bearings, and turned rotors on it within the last 5 weeks. Thirdly, why would that be causing wear indicative of poor camber or toe? Second whiff. . .

He then informed me that a bad proportioning valve could be sending too much/not enough pressure to one side of the truck, at which point I pointed out that proportioning valves are front/rear biased, not side to side; to which his response was "Oh, well it's side to side on alot of newer vehicles" Three strikes, you're out. . .

At this point I asked if the out of spec cross camber could possibly be causing this pull under braking (on their re-check it shows it out of spec). Got an immediate "No, cross camber won't do that, you have a bigger issue that we need to look into."

"Even on a twin i-beam truck?"

"No."

At which point I explained to him the peculiarity of TIB with how if cross camber is out under braking, it will cause one of the tires to further go out of camber, which will put a pull on the steering link and lead to a pull under braking.

Then I was told if I wanted them to touch it again it would be a minimum of $200, to which I told him I wasn't going to spend another nickle there as I don't appreciate being lied to and then asked how many customers just buy whatever line they're handed and sign the check without knowing the difference.

I then commented that shouldn't their price sheet say "set toe, everything else additional" instead of "align everything that's factory adjustable".

I got a blank stare which I walked out to.

This is why the only thing I go to a shop for is tires and alignments, can't imagine if I had to go through this everytime I ever had to have something done.

Justin

Hmmmm.... sounds kinda like the Les Schwab up here in Bountiful. I've not gone through the alignment BS with them, but have had enough sketchy conversations with them I'll not go back nor recommend them to anyone. The Big O on 5th West is pretty good though. They seem to know what an 'advise' is and use it rather than try to upsell you out of your house.

(not a fan of TTB {or other IFS} just for the reason you describe) :D

hoxviii

Ford-natic
I'll call up russ alignment and sids tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I'm going to pass on the idea of teraflex for now as they say they specialize in late model Jeep service. While there may or may not be someone there that knows TTB, I'm looking for someone that does a good deal of older Ford's.

If nothing else, making soem calls will get me pointed towards someone that knows WTF is going on.

Justin

Jeromy

Spikes A&D (Alignment and Diagnostics) just south of wallmart off of 7800 and bangeter. Awesome guy! He does miracles on the race car.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I'm going to pass on the idea of teraflex for now as they say they specialize in late model Jeep service. While there may or may not be someone there that knows TTB, I'm looking for someone that does a good deal of older Ford's.

Don't let that jeep crap scare you off;) The shop at T+ is what used to be known as All Terrain Auto. Dennis knows what he is doing and will get you aligned....

That being said Russ's (formerly of Russ+Vals) is known for being able to get TTB's right....Well as right as they can be....

I finally found a permanent fixed for my TTB woes:D