Recommended shop to install lockers / gears in SLC area??

luckys13

Hello. Newbie here..

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop in the SLC or Ogden area that can install lockers and gears. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

barnsbronco

I just had Six States install my front locker. I live in Utah county so I had the Orem store do it but I know they have a shop in Salt Lake too. I thought that the price was fair and I was way happy with the service.

TheJeepGuy

gears

I had 4wheel parts do my gears and lockers, I had a issue with the front R&P but they took care of it for me as for six states I dont know about the orem store but I would stay away from the SLC shop. I am not going to name names but I used to work with them on a weekly basis and that was enough for me to find out to not ever use them or recommend them. I know of countless jobs they messed and always taking longer than what they said. one example is they forgot to put oil in a new gear setup on a JK, the customer only made it a couple miles away and had to cancel his moab trip so they could fix it.:eek:

jdub

Scrambler
Ken and Kevin are rad! Orem Six States is the best! My friend rolled his amc20 axle tube on his cj and they fixed it for $100. I love a shop that will/loves to get their hands dirty with older junk too.

luckys13

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I also have not heard any positive feedback on Six States in SLC. But it sounds like there are a couple of good shops to help me out.

oxbronco

I have always had good luck with advanced. Randy has always been willing to help out with advise and tech questions. They also have had the best prices out of anywhere I have checked out.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I would stay away from 4wdparts... they screwed up my r&p install seems they don't think that new seals are needed when they change your r&p...

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
We still do gear and locker installs. I did a lot of research recently due to some defective gears we installed in a JK. Seems that Superior had some challenges with their JK ring and pinions (That was an expensive warrantee job that wasn't our fault). Anyway, I discovered that there are not many shops out there that really know everything there is to know about gear installs. For instance, when installing new gears or a locker, especially an ARB, you SHOULD use a case spreader on Dana axles. This is a $250 tool. As it turns out the only one that was using one was Advanced and now The Rad Jeeper. There could be more but not that I could find. You should have seen an ARB we pulled out that was installed by someone else not using a case spreader. It was all beat to hell. No ones perfect, however, we work very hard to do things the right way and then stand behind what we do.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
We still do gear and locker installs. I did a lot of research recently due to some defective gears we installed in a JK. Seems that Superior had some challenges with their JK ring and pinions (That was an expensive warrantee job that wasn't our fault). Anyway, I discovered that there are not many shops out there that really know everything there is to know about gear installs. For instance, when installing new gears or a locker, especially an ARB, you SHOULD use a case spreader on Dana axles. This is a $250 tool. As it turns out the only one that was using one was Advanced and now The Rad Jeeper. There could be more but not that I could find. You should have seen an ARB we pulled out that was installed by someone else not using a case spreader. It was all beat to hell. No ones perfect, however, we work very hard to do things the right way and then stand behind what we do.

Plenty of other local installers have the case spreaders ;) Any they often get made for much cheaper than $250. Now whether or not they use them or not is a different questions, something a potential customer should always ask when working on a vehicle that requires one (No Toyota's need them for example). However I can assure you many of the local long-time installers have them.