Recruiter Chit Chat

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
I had my first chat with a recruiter yesterday. Army, active duty. I know some of you are current, ex, and overseas so I am hoping to get a little feed-back.

I presented my future plans to my wife last night and it went over.... ok. I think she realizes my love for this country and is willing to move forward with the idea.

My questions are two fold:
1. I have done a few searches and come up with good questions for the recruiter (aka, promises in writing with their signature). What are some REAL questions I should be asking?
2. I have two children. What should I be expecting in regards to family? Would they be on base, etc?

Question 2 is the biggest point as I want her to be comfortable with all of this. And as always, thank you to all of you in (and previously in) the armed forces. You have the respect of everyone I know.

CJ Matt

I can only speak from the Air Force side but I would:

1. Not expect anything in writing.
2. Most bases have housing but it can depend on availability on whether you are on base or not. If you are off base you get extra pay to cover the cost. With the Army you could be spending very long periods away from your family. You need to aware and prepared for that. Some rotations are a year to the desert with only a couple weeks home in the middle. The pay is not great either.

rdneckride

Ok lets see where to begin.... The choice is yours but having been in the Army and having realatives, and friends in other branches I would STRONGLY suggest you go Air Force or Coast Guard if you must enter the service.

My time int he army was great but it is not a palce where many marriages last and the families suffer greatly.

Army deplaoys for a year and then for the next 12-24 months after the deployment they spends getting ready for the next deployment where in that time you spend almost half of it in the field training and away from the family. The Amry posts I have been on and their housing would compate to some of the most neglected parts of Salt Lake city.

Navy deployments can be from six months to two years. They are the ones most often unavailable and away. You are also in cramped quarters and have no where to really escape.

Marines.. well who really wants to the be the first ones anyplace except to get some bacon. Well i want to be around to get the bacon and prefer to have my dignity and personality intact.

Coast Guard.. They are at sea and often in risky palces and situations but rarely are you away from your family very long. every state has a coast guard base as far as I can see and leaves many possabilities for continental US station.

The Air Force... Of all the typical military installations they are the cleanest and have the least number of major law infractions by their members. They deploy for six month tours and often you do not deploy again for 18 months unless you volunteer. Your advancement is based on your knowledge and performance not how long you have been like the Army and others. The jobs typically are steady hours and often involve a trade that is marketable and usable in the real world.

I spent three years in the army where I was stationed by navy and air force bases. I can honestly say that the Air force had the higher number of happily married couples the best housing and best overall conditions.

Feel free to pm me if you would like more information ect on these.
This is all from my personal experiance and I am sure individuals who serverd in other branches can and likely will share their opinions on who is the best ect.

CJ Matt

"Ok lets see where to begin.... The choice is yours but having been in the Army and having realatives, and friends in other branches I would STRONGLY suggest you go Air Force or Coast Guard if you must enter the service."

I agree but being in the Air Force for the last 19 years I did not want to come out and say it first and seem biased. The Air Force does treat its people the best. It is still tough on the families though.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Take a look at the Navy Seabees. We are a small and tightknit community we have a hell of a lot of camaradie. Deployments are 6 months with 12-14 at homeport. Your first duty station will be in a deployable battalion. The Seabees are well worth a look.
The Air Force Redhorse Unit is comparable to what we do. I worked with them and they were good to go also.
My 2 cents.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Thank you.
I do understand and appreciate your input on the different branches of the military. Thank you; I will be joining the Army.

My wifes brother-in-law is an officer XO (not sure exact rank). I also understand the stresses of marriage and military. My sister-in-law has 6 kids I think but her husband is always home every night so it makes it easier for them. Of course my situation could be completely different and my wife and I have discussed that.

Is military housing for families a close enough community that my wife would easily get into play groups for the kids, outings with the girls, etc? My sister-in-law is 10 years older than my wife and she made quite a few friends on base quickly (her history is that of not making friends very fast; ironically usually right before they move from someplace). So, that makes me a little more confident.

rondo

rondo
Have you considered Army ROTC then? I've spent 3 yrs in Utah as an ROTC instructor and i can say its a great way to go. Not too difficult to get a full ride scholarship, with stipend, books, etc. That way you can still go in the army. I'd say over half the cadets are married with kids too.
If you go active duty right away the army will take care of your family with housing. health care is great and the benefits are unmatched.
if you want to talk to me about anything with the army, blast me a pm.
thx for choosing to serve your country. i personally can think of no higher calling.