Eastern Utah Red Mountain, Vernal 3/14/15

rockwell

I am planning a run out there this weekend. I have a fullsize Ford I'll take, and there are 2 to 3 Jeeps that should be coming so far. I'm not sure where to meet, but it will be in Vernal somewhere. I haven't run the trail before, so any seasoned wheelers of this trail are more than welcome to lead the pack. Hope a few of you can make it, sorry for the short notice. We will probably meet at 10:30A.M. (sorry, I work graves). Trip reports estimate 4-6 hours to run the trail. Good weather with 60 degrees is in the forecast.

amp713

Have you ran red before?? Have you read my trip report on red lately??? Its a tight trail and that full size will get scratched up and be in the trees alot. Id go with you if i wasnt on days on i live in rosy also, if you wanna swing over i can give you a run down on some of the areas.

amp713

Another forum member, Rwalk, was debating driving out here to run it also i was messaging him about it. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to maybe all get together and run it, last i saw it still looked pretty snowy up top. When we ran it we got a late start and got caught in a nasty snow storm and the dark, it was still fun but very slick and i about slid off a ledge onto my top. Id run docs beach or the playground (as we call it) out on bonanazza highway if you just wanna get out and arent dead set on red. Also if you run it next weekend id be down to go!

rwalk

Another forum member, Rwalk, was debating driving out here to run it also i was messaging him about it. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to maybe all get together and run it, last i saw it still looked pretty snowy up top. When we ran it we got a late start and got caught in a nasty snow storm and the dark, it was still fun but very slick and i about slid off a ledge onto my top. Id run docs beach or the playground (as we call it) out on bonanazza highway if you just wanna get out and arent dead set on red. Also if you run it next weekend id be down to go!

We were hoping to join this run in my friends LJ, just need to finalize some plans to make sure we can make it

amp713

Well i work every other weekend so if you wanna run it sometime this summer im totaly down!

rockwell

Have you ran red before?? Have you read my trip report on red lately??? Its a tight trail and that full size will get scratched up and be in the trees alot. Id go with you if i wasnt on days on i live in rosy also, if you wanna swing over i can give you a run down on some of the areas.

Thanks for the heads up. I did see that trip report, and my truck has plenty of pinstriping so I'm not worried. We may have to meet up tomorrow. What time are you free? I leave for work at 5:30 pm.

We were hoping to join this run in my friends LJ, just need to finalize some plans to make sure we can make it

Hope you can make it! Keep us posted.

Any good ideas for a meeting place? I'm still not familiar with Vernal...

amp713

I dont get home till about 530 sadly, the best place to meet depends which way you run it. Maeser 7/11 if you run it opposite of the way i did, anywhere along the highway headed out of town if you want to start on the lake side.

rockwell

I dont get home till about 530 sadly, the best place to meet depends which way you run it. Maeser 7/11 if you run it opposite of the way i did, anywhere along the highway headed out of town if you want to start on the lake side.

Which direction do you prefer?

ZUKEYPR

I've run it a couple of times. It's tight, moderately difficult. The only full size that was with us had a tree limb blow out his window. Surprisingly for just a moderate trail, only three of us got off of it unscathed (a TJ, LJ, and YJ, The YJ strangely enough grenades his rear locker at the last traffic light before hitting the KOA. Just a strange trip last time. All of that said I would really be surprised if it weren't impassable towards the top at this time of the year.

amp713

The front side (starting at the lake) is an easy trip up until commando corner which gives a lot of people fits, that section starting with CC to the cabin can leave guys broken or winching over. I know a large number of people that climb up the back side (starting at docs) and just come back down that side. I personally would rather climb up CC then drop down it but coming up the other side would be more entertaining. I will agree that it may be sketchy up on top with the recent snow fall but with the weather as warm as it has been it wouldnt be entirely impasable.

I should be home about 445 today if you wanna meet up and talk before tomorrow.

rockwell

Well this trip was a total bust. 4 rigs showed up: me, a tj, an xj, and a guy on a razor. After getting to the trailhead late the tj blew a radiator hose just after pulling off the trailer. That guy ran back to vernal for a new one only to come back and find that it had blown a seam on the radiator too. So they were done before we left, then 1/4 mile into the trail the xj broke a leaf spring allowing the axle to shift forward and back on one side. While my truck ran great, I wasn't about to run this trail with only a razor to pull me out if I got stuck. So we turned around and called it a day before anything worse happened. Better luck next time!

Tonkaman

That's too bad. Good thing you didn't get too anxious and kept your wits about you. I feel for the other guys that broke down, usually that's the category I land in...