Registering Jeep at UT DMV

andrew

I bought a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport from a friend and we put the purchase price at $400. I called the DMV and they said registration costs in SL County are $100 plus 6.8% of purchase price. My question is... will they go off of the $400 I put as the purchase price or do they go by book value?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I bought a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport from a friend and we put the purchase price at $400. I called the DMV and they said registration costs in SL County are $100 plus 6.8% of purchase price. My question is... will they go off of the $400 I put as the purchase price or do they go by book value?

they should go off of what you paid.. $400

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
haha, i now remember that my title had a small scribble over one number.. that's why she wanted a bill of sale.. state law requires a bill of sale if the title document has any mess ups on it, cause they have to verify it's correct.. hahaha

-Jason

skybob

I think the only time they use book value is if you put "gift" I have heard of people writing trade and then having a bill of sale saying the vehicle was traded for parts and they didn't have to pay any tax. Cheap bastards

Meat_

Banned
good point, proof of purchase is key.. they'll send you packin without a bill of sale

lady made me get a bill of sale... so i forged it ;)

Read the title, says right on it in plain English that you do not need a bill of sale.

If the sale section on the title has been filled out and then altered you will need a bill of sale from the seller that explains why the title was altered.

They HAVE TO go by the sale amount, just because something is worth X doesn't mean you can't sell/buy it for x