Registering TJ as street legal OHV?

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can learn about registering my Jeep as a street legal OHV? Mainly considering it so I don’t need to deal with mudflaps, or flares. It gets driven around town sometimes, and trailered everywhere else.

I’m open to opinions whether it’s too much of a hassle, etc.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can learn about registering my Jeep as a street legal OHV? Mainly considering it so I don’t need to deal with mudflaps, or flares. It gets driven around town sometimes, and trailered everywhere else.

I’m open to opinions whether it’s too much of a hassle, etc.

>>Here<<

RockChucker

I've thought about this many times, but I have not yet pulled the trigger on it. I still need to research what implications there are for insurance (at least with my current provider). I don't know if this would disqualify it from a standard policy. The other limitation is what roads you can drive it on. Freeways are out for sure and I think many highways. That is the biggest reason I haven't converted mine over yet.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I still need to research what implications there are for insurance (at least with my current provider). I don't know if this would disqualify it from a standard policy.

I've wondered this exact thing. Like if you get in or especially cause a crash in your "fullsize ATV" I bet your insurance company drops you like a rock.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've wondered this exact thing. Like if you get in or especially cause a crash in your "fullsize ATV" I bet your insurance company drops you like a rock.

Pretty sure you are right about that. I told them it's not a sxs but it's a Utah registered fullsize ATV and they didn't pry at all. They were confused about my VIN (custom build) but they put it in their system and it's insured... no idea how they would handle an incident though.

I really just carry the insurance on the buggy in case I get pulled over. The only time it ever sees road is when I'm heading to a trail or to a gas station so the risk is extremely minimal.

1993yj

I have mine registered as OHV, and have yet to be able to find anyone to insure it. Seems like it would be simple as there are plenty of SxSs registered as street legal OHVs, but for some reason the insurance companies I have asked can't wrap their heads around doing a Jeep the same way.

N-Smooth

Pretty sure you are right about that. I told them it's not a sxs but it's a Utah registered fullsize ATV and they didn't pry at all. They were confused about my VIN (custom build) but they put it in their system and it's insured... no idea how they would handle an incident though.

I really just carry the insurance on the buggy in case I get pulled over. The only time it ever sees road is when I'm heading to a trail or to a gas station so the risk is extremely minimal.

I even imagine a scenario where the other person in the accident would try to have their insurance company fight harder since "it was a damn buggy that hit me. It doesn't even belong on the road." It's sad but unfortunately could happen.

I have mine registered as OHV, and have yet to be able to find anyone to insure it. Seems like it would be simple as there are plenty of SxSs registered as street legal OHVs, but for some reason the insurance companies I have asked can't wrap their heads around doing a Jeep the same way.

Same.

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

This is the reason I keep a plate on mine. I put them in storage except for when I take them out which 5-10 times a year,

Its works but not perfect.

If your biggest worries are mudflaps, I think you are doing pretty good. I forget that since safety inspections went away the cops can pull you over for things like this...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This is the reason I keep a plate on mine. I put them in storage except for when I take them out which 5-10 times a year,

Its works but not perfect.

If your biggest worries are mudflaps, I think you are doing pretty good. I forget that since safety inspections went away the cops can pull you over for things like this...

I'm in the same boat. Mine MAY see light of day once/twice per year now. Moved it to the front of the garage and have a wheel cylinder leaking and transfer case issues.

1993yj

I would definitely keep it the way it is if at all possible. Once you go OHV you can never go back.
That all depends on who you get at the DMV. They seem to do so few of these types of registration changes that I have never seen 2 go the same. When I registered mine OHV (back when there were still safety inspections required and my full hydro steering necessitated that) I got to keep my VIN which supposedly was supposed to get taken off. I still have the original and regular title. My brother bought a rig that was originally registered OHV and had the VIN still installed and the DMV let him swap back to regular street legal registration. I wouldn't plan on that being the case though. If I could have stayed with the regular registration I would have.

N-Smooth

That all depends on who you get at the DMV. They seem to do so few of these types of registration changes that I have never seen 2 go the same. When I registered mine OHV (back when there were still safety inspections required and my full hydro steering necessitated that) I got to keep my VIN which supposedly was supposed to get taken off. I still have the original and regular title. My brother bought a rig that was originally registered OHV and had the VIN still installed and the DMV let him swap back to regular street legal registration. I wouldn't plan on that being the case though. If I could have stayed with the regular registration I would have.

Yup when I registered mine as OHV they made me do a new vin and title. Now I can't find a company to insure it.
My buddy went in a few days after me and didn't have to do a new vin or title. I don't get it.

Bart

Both vehicles I was involved with changed VINs and they took the old ones. I actually had to go home and grab a title and vin plate before they would complete the registration.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm actually looking forward to getting my CJ5 registered as a Street Legal OHV. I won't be driving it on the streets very much, but an occasional 6 mile commute to work would be awesome. I already do that in my SXS.