Registering your Off Road only Crawler

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
While out looking for the Constrictor trail, we were busted buy the Man. Who has their rig tagged as an OHV? How much did it cost? Did you need a VIN inspection? Are there requirements for the placement of the stickers?

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
I did it you have to get a new vin # from the dmv then have a cop look at it and sign a paper that states you have put the new vin# on then you need 4 photos to give to the dmv i costs around fifty bucks but it is cheaper to register every year the down side is if you get cought on the road the fine is $200+ it matters what county you are issued the citation i live in weber county and this may be different in your county

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
redrockcrawler said:
I did it you have to get a new vin # from the dmv then have a cop look at it and sign a paper that states you have put the new vin# on
Is yours a buggy? was it previously registered on the street?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I was gong to post the same question. I know Carl has do it, and maybe the RockMonkey...

ps,

I pick up my new spring tomara... :cool:

utahxjer

I was just coming to post this right now :rofl:

Anyways, I was at the DMV today registering my tow rig and asked the lady there about an OHV vehicle only. She said you have to bring in a picture of the vehicle and the cost is based on how much the vehicle is worth? So should I bring in a photo of the jeep before it was lifted and such?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I got about halfway through the process before I stopped. It's not hard, bring a pic down to the DMV, they'll issue you a new vin and give you a vin sticker thing that you have to rivet onto the rig. Then bring it down there, they will take a look at it, make sure your new vin is there, and give you your sticker. It's not terribly expensive, or difficult. Before you do it make sure you really want to, cuz you can never go back. :eek: That's why I stopped. I figured it really wouldn't be that difficult to make mine pass, and be registered as street legal, and I may want to do that some day.

utahxjer

how much was that ticket anyways? I've been out there about 7 times and never seen the BLM. One time someone said they were there but we never ran into them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Mine was easier than most, since it's so old. (1948) No new VIN issued, no new title issued, just the green OHV stickers. IIRC, it was $18 or so, and that included an extra year of registration since I didn't register it the year before.

Fullsizexj

I just had my wife go to the DMV to change the reg to ORV also today, I only use it on trails anyway and Trailer it everywhere I go so no big deal to me anyhow. $30.00 a year and for insurance it will be like $100.00 a year verses the $68.00 a year for tags and the $698.00 a year for insurance and having to pass smog every other year. This is in California though

marvin

ZINGER
utahxjer said:
how much was that ticket anyways? I've been out there about 7 times and never seen the BLM. One time someone said they were there but we never ran into them.
we did not get tickets, but we could have. we were all putting our rigs on trailers when they showed up

utahxjer

Fullsizexj said:
I just had my wife go to the DMV to change the reg to ORV also today, I only use it on trails anyway and Trailer it everywhere I go so no big deal to me anyhow. $30.00 a year and for insurance it will be like $100.00 a year verses the $68.00 a year for tags and the $698.00 a year for insurance and having to pass smog every other year. This is in California though
we have to pass emissions every year here, unless you have a brand new vehicle

Fullsizexj

Here in California it is every other year for smog test and for brand new , it is like 3 or 5 years before that starts but not positive since I don't buy brand new

Fullsizexj

It is ORV insurance for liability only. I like to attend the Cal4wheel events and they require liability but it protects me from the greenies also