Registering your Off Road only Crawler

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
Fullsizexj said:
It is ORV insurance for liability only. I like to attend the Cal4wheel events and they require liability but it protects me from the greenies also

who do you use for your insurance carrier i have had a hard time fimding a reasonable price on ohv insurance

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
grinch said:
So how do you go about registering a built from scratch vehicle? One that has no title or VIN to switch over???

The DMV will issue you a VIN. Not sure on the process, but check with them. Then report back and let us know. :p :D

Caleb

redrockcrawler said:
who do you use for your insurance carrier i have had a hard time fimding a reasonable price on ohv insurance

my family has always used State Farm for all our OHVs adn I dont think we have ever paid more than $100-$200 a year...this includes Boats, Waverunners, motorcycles, fourwheelers, Jet skis, etc...most things...

Fullsizexj

redrockcrawler said:
State Farm, although I have an excellent driving record, get the old guy discount and multi vehicle discount and all that other "at a boy stuff " so it helps

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok,

So all I have to do is cruise down to the DMV with a pic and my title, go in and get a VIN #, come out and brake out the cordless drill and rivet gun, mount the VIN, go back in and get it taged.... Right??? :cool:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
Ok,

So all I have to do is cruise down to the DMV with a pic and my title, go in and get a VIN #, come out and brake out the cordless drill and rivet gun, mount the VIN, go back in and get it taged.... Right??? :cool:
Right.

tuck

spud crawler
Brent said:
I have an idaho address, you can get yourself a pretty red white and blue tag, then drive it on the street :)

What exactly are you saying? You just licensed it in Idaho where there are rarely (never except in Boise) inspections. Or are you using some special type of registration?

utahxjer

tuck said:
What exactly are you saying? You just licensed it in Idaho where there are rarely (never except in Boise) inspections. Or are you using some special type of registration?
I'm guessing he just registered his rig in Idaho and got a red/white/blue license plate

S

sukaB

Mike_Lib said:
Don't let the man bring you down :eek:

The Man sucks:::
That's typical you clean up the land then the man tries to bust you for runnin or cleanin it up...
Typical Tea baggers....

Poser Chumps...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Just a little update:

I went to the DMV today to get tags for my AVT, while I was there I asked about this conversion. They gave me a form called "Ownership Statement" to fill out,, looks like a request for a new title form. The lady said that you have to turn in your old title and they will issue you a new one. This new title is for Off Highway Use Only. Everything else was the same, take a pic and bring it in. One other thing she mentioned that I found kinda strange,,, she said the vehicle can't run with doors... :ugh:

There ya go. ;)

utahxjer

Shawn said:
Just a little update:

I went to the DMV today to get tags for my AVT, while I was there I asked about this conversion. They gave me a form called "Ownership Statement" to fill out,, looks like a request for a new title form. The lady said that you have to turn in your old title and they will issue you a new one. This new title is for Off Highway Use Only. Everything else was the same, take a pic and bring it in. One other thing she mentioned that I found kinda strange,,, she said the vehicle can't run with doors... :ugh:

There ya go. ;)
wth, can't run with doors? I thought the whole point of off road only was basically you can have your rig anyway you want it???

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Shawn said:
Just a little update:

One other thing she mentioned that I found kinda strange,,, she said the vehicle can't run with doors... :ugh:

There ya go. ;)

so it's illegal to have doors on an OHV??? that's interesting......

Caleb

Shawn said:
Just a little update:

There ya go. ;)

thats some good info, thanks

I wonder what would they do with a buggy like mine where I have no original title to turn in? And what do they consider doors? Since my sides dont come off:D

Caleb

Elder SAMI said:
well that'd be about the same as a sand rail or something..... right?

thats what I would think:confused:

I wonder if I could get it registered as a Model T (or whatever) thats been rebuilt:rofl:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Elder SAMI said:
so it's illegal to have doors on an OHV??? that's interesting......
The only thing I can think of, is that with doors you look as if you should be registered as On Highway...........????

Kinda weird.. I'll be running doors in the winter... ;)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
supergper said:
thats some good info, thanks

I wonder what would they do with a buggy like mine where I have no original title to turn in? And what do they consider doors? Since my sides dont come off:D

That is why you need a new VIN #, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Fullsizexj

I just registered mine for Off Road only and They did not say a word about needing to take off doors, Had to take it in and let them look at the Vin # because no where on the reg did it say it was 4x4 and they wanted to see that it really was. Was really mad about it too, had it all loaded on the trailer and was ready to head out for the weekend and they made me unload it before they would look at it and then had to wit in line for 2 hours.

utahxjer

Fullsizexj said:
I just registered mine for Off Road only and They did not say a word about needing to take off doors, Had to take it in and let them look at the Vin # because no where on the reg did it say it was 4x4 and they wanted to see that it really was. Was really mad about it too, had it all loaded on the trailer and was ready to head out for the weekend and they made me unload it before they would look at it and then had to wit in line for 2 hours.
holy crap! Does it matter if it is 4x4 or not? What about all those desert prerunners down there in cali that are 2wd?