relocating shock mounts

crzyxj

The cheaper the better!
Tell me what you guys think, Will it be ok? Has anyone done any thing similar? I dont see any problems with the weld on mounts I purchased. they will bolt directly to the new mounts with the metal sleeves that came with the shocks when I bought them. I will get some extra clearance and not have to buy longer shocks since I installed the Alcan8". Let me know, Thanks
shockmods.jpg

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Perfectly okay, people do it all the time. Companies even make bars that span the inside of the frame rails with various holes drilled so you can mount the shocks at different angles so you can run what best suits you.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I do that all the time with 8.8 swaps in XJ/YJ's. Granted, I don't have the stock shock mount, so I am making my own and they kinda look like a TJ shock mount for the most part.

crzyxj

The cheaper the better!
What I did was found some shock mount studs like the ones that bolted to the frame on older chevys and Drilled and tapped the axle tubes. I then screwed the studs into the tube until it bottomed out. (had to cut a 1/4" off of the stud so it would not rub the inner shaft) and torqued to 60 ftlbs. I then welded around the stud to the axle tube so I wouldn't have oil leaks. For the test I put the floor jack under the stud and it held! I am happy and have all that GC added. At least till I upgrade to 8.8. Is an 8.8 a c-clip axle? I bought one w/discs and havent tore it down yet, So I dont know?

crzyxj

The cheaper the better!
That would help. I looked at some C-clip elim. and they were not recomended for use w/disc brakes? I dont know much about ford stuff though!