reminder to practice safety

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Don Brandin Shaw

Brandin Shaw, 26, of Pleasant Grove, died Saturday, February 10, 2007, from a tragic accident, while working on his jeep. Brandin was born September 16, 1980, in Provo, Utah, to Don L. and Mary "Cookie" Shaw.
Brandin grew up in Orem and Pleasant Grove. He graduated from Orem High School. He was an avid sportsman and hunter. He loved camping and rock climbing in his jeep. He was a proud active member of the Independent Order of ODD FELLOWS and was their youngest president of Provo Chapter 14. He gave generously to the ODD FELLOWS and their Christmas Charities. They are dedicating this next year (2008) to his memory.
He is survived by his father, Don Shaw, partner, Vanessa Sullivan, siblings, Bret James Shaw and Billy Jo Larrobee, grandparents, Verdon and Maurine Shaw, grandmother, Ruth Hassenfritz, 3 aunts, 9 cousins and many close friends. He was preceded in death by his mother, Cookie and grandfather, Wilson Charles Hassenfritz.
In lieu of flowers the family would like donations made to the ODD FELLOWS in Brandin's name to be used for future charitable activities. Donations can be sent to the Utah Community Credit Union.
Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. Friday, February 16, 2007, in the Walker Sanderson Funeral Home, 646 East 800 North, Orem. Family and friends may call Thursday evening from 6-8 p.m. at the Walker Sanderson Funeral Home and from 11:45-12:45 p.m. prior to the services. Interment will be held at the Orem City Cemetery.

Brandin worked with my sister. He was working on his jeep and it fell off the jack stands and crushed him. His girlfriend found him a few hours later. Just wanted to remind everyone to be as safe as possible, it's horrible he had to go this way. :(

Devin

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I was curious if he was on the board or if anyone knew him, my father in law was the officer that was called to the scene. My condolences to the family

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
<shop teacher on>

That is a sad way to go for sure. Don't skimp on the jackstands and don't stack crap on or under jackstands to make them taller...we have all done it but just spend the extra money and get those tall stands from Harbor Freight and be safe people.

I always set the rig on jackstands and then give it a good shake equivalent to the worst jolt I think I could put on it while working to make sure it is stable....and always be mindful of redistribution of weight. We tend to take axles off and tires off and change the weight distribution while working on our rigs, constantly make sure your stands are secure and planned for your operations.

<shop teacher off>

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
sorry to hear.........my prayers go to his family.

I try to remember to shake my rig as well before I climb under it....

be safe kids.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That's horrible... my thoughts go out to the family.

I always have that in the back of my mind when I'm working under a vehicle. It's a scary thought and incidents like this make it a reality.

:(

zukgod1

Senior crawler
This is one of my WORST fears, I'm continuously asking/telling my wife to come check on me every hour or so to make sure I'm not squished.

I really feel for the family and I'm sorry to hear it was his passion that did him in.
We should ALL stop when we are about to crawl under our rigs and think about Brandin.

dan

ALF

SURE!?
For anyone who works for Kennecott or has done work for them would be familiar with TRACK I catch myself remembering it more often than not and keeping it in the back of your mind can help avoid such accidents.

TRACK stands
for Think through the Task(s);
Recognize the Hazards; Assess
the Risks; Control the Hazards;

My heart goes out to his family; hopefully we can all learn from this situation!
Keep Safety First in all Tasks.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
For anyone who works for Kennecott or has done work for them would be familiar with TRACK I catch myself remembering it more often than not and keeping it in the back of your mind can help avoid such accidents.

TRACK stands
for Think through the Task(s);
Recognize the Hazards; Assess
the Risks; Control the Hazards;

My heart goes out to his family; hopefully we can all learn from this situation!
Keep Safety First in all Tasks.

Anyone who has ever worked for Kennecott would also know that there is a big P infront of that TRACK, or what ever the latest saefty word is, it stands for Production and it always comes first.

ALF

SURE!?
Anyone who has ever worked for Kennecott would also know that there is a big P infront of that TRACK, or what ever the latest saefty word is, it stands for Production and it always comes first.

Safety incentive bonuses far out weight production bonuses ask anyone that worked on the Smelter shutdown that missed out on their bonus because individuals came to work unprepared and got hurt. Most smelters average 2-3 deaths a year Kennecott has had 1 in the last 2. I've never worked for a company with a better safety program and I work for two different mines.