Remodel & Handyman business - anyone do it?

Pike2350

I have been thinking about starting a handyman (although I feel this has a slight negative, low skilled meaning)/remodeling business on the side, and can't help think/dream of turning it into a full time gig in the future.

I am pretty handy/good at interior remodeling, although I tend to be a bit more OCD/perfectionist then is practical much of the time. I can do most things, but actually enjoy learning new things. I have remodeled multiple spaces, from my own personal rentals, my own house, past rentals, etc. Most people say I do really good work...but I am also scared sh!tless about screwing up, being too slow, not charging enough, etc. If I did this, I would do the courses to get licensed for R101 (small interior construction under $50,000) so I would be licensed, and would want to do it right with insurance and all that stuff (what is a bond anyway...no clue, just see "licensed and bonded")

I have watched a few youtubers that have handyman businesses, and it all makes sense, the bigger concern is what to charge. I see some people that charge $50-75/hour, but I believe those are usually guys that are billing each employee at that rate. I think job rate makes much more sense, so I am not wasting anyone's time. Some guys online think a "billable hour" should be $150+...so it's kind of all over the board.

Does anyone here do it? Any advice?

As a side note, I am an accounting manager(controller) as my full time job. I make pretty good money, so it is hard to jump ship for the unknown. However, I seem to prefer to work with my hands, and like problem solving. I like my job overall, but also get a little tired seeing some of the things I would consider bad business...so this isn't a I hate my job and need to get out....it's more just looking for something a bit more enjoyable, along with hopefully having a bit more freedom day to day.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
That’s going to be a hard business to scale, will be hard to bid on jobs with an unknown number of unknowns, and you will get to deal with all the nagging customers to boot.

I say do it, but charge time and materials. $150/hr for a top level guy doing handyman level jobs isn’t unreasonable, with a 2-3hr minimum, plus mark up materials 20%. If you do great work, you’ll get all sorts of business.

shortstraw8

I had one after the crash late 08-10' ish. I charged $75 for the first hr and dropped to $30 after that + cost of materials. That was all suggestions from others in the field and my boss that had to lay off all non journeyman's at the time.

I got pretty lucky though and was able to work a few Bigger jobs that carried me through most of that time.
The small jobs were never really worth it, and got real sick of chasing money, bounced checks and fees were a pain to try and collect on and why I stopped accepting them. I only ever had 1 helper on 1 job and charged %50 more than the agreed wage to the client, but this is not the way at all. Was my cheap ass workmans comp that would have never been alright had anything happened, even though he is a good friend and promised not to get hurt:)

I only ever posted up on KSL and CL and was pretty busy with small jobs. Dog doors were always quick money same with lighting and faucet swaps. People are annoying with all their changes to already agreed upon work, so plan for that with the way you setup pricing/contract
I ended up getting a real job for insurance purposes (thanks obama).

I never got licensed as I didn't care to, and was never insured/bonded but only did jobs I knew I could do. Bonded basically means you won't screw up or do a crappy job backed up by a company that charges you, and if your client files a claim that bond will cover a company to come fix/finish it. Cities will require this for most work tying in their to infrastructure so if you eff up they can get their money.

I always did bid the job for materials and time before agreeing to anything.
Cash only seems like it may be more rare these days, but at least there are apps to accept payment and not get a call from the bank that a check bounced.
I have thought about starting back up, but I like my personal time way too much and my moms bathroom was enough of a reminder that remodels suck.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I did it for a number of years (15?). I still go out occasionally, and charge $75 an hour. I advertise myself as a rental property quality repair man. I get in and out quickly, and do a job good enough for any landlord to be happy.

I would occasionally do better quality properties, and work… But it ended up taking longer overall, which wasn’t a problem for them.

I was getting too busy with other work to continue to run the handyman business. The issue I would often run into was the immediate need for a handyman, such as a leaky pipe or clogged drain. I didn’t have the ability to jump and run for those like I used to.

I couldn’t find anyone to work for me, so I let it go.

If you answer your phone and show up on time, you will have all the business you can handle. Whether you do a good job or not.

Worked handyman as a second job through college, mainly because my landlord/friend always needed help and I had the skills. Basically I had to work an exit plan with him. It could have been a career and taken over my life. There is definitely demand for decent quality work!

DAA

I think, from what I hear, from friends and family, that if you answer your phone, show up on time, speak good English, do what you'll say you'll do when you say you'll do it, there are a lot of people happy to pay a much higher than average rate for those things. And even get in line and wait to pay more.

- DAA

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
A friend started a handy man business several years ago. He advertises on Angie’s list. He typically has more inquiries than he could ever keep up with, which allows him to be a bit picky on which jobs he accepts. DAA has a solid point is seems. My buddy says basically the same thing. Just answer someone back, show up on time, and do what you say you’ll do = profit. 😎

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Luckily, you have a good job now so you can try out the handyman thing and see if it is something you want to turn into a full time thing. I say give it a try and see. Every job is better when you don't HAVE to do it.

If you do become a full time handy man you may end up doing accounting work on the side :rofl: