Remote image hosting (Imagestation)

Jeromy

As asked:

To help ease the bandwith usage post your pics by remote linking them to RME instead of attaching them.

Using Imagestation to remote host your Photos is easy.

Here is the address: Imagestation

You will need to create a account if you do not have one already.

After you sign up you will need to upload your pictures on to the imagestations server and put them into an album. Pretty simple.

Posting the pictures in a thread:

Go to the picture you want to post. Right click It and go to properties. Highlight the Whole address-url. Then right click an that and copy.

Then go back to the Thread you want to put a picture in. Click the img button. A box should pop up. Right click in the box and then paste. Make sure that you take off the .orig.jpg of of the end of the address if it is there. Otherwise you will end up with a red X.

Here is a sample pic...
fca15b85.jpg

If you need any help just ask....

Hope this helps. (sorry if none of this makes sense)
Jeromy

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
ok hosting with an ISP is a bit more complicated but not much.

most if not all ISPs give you free web space for hosting a website. it is a courtesy that they usually provide but don't count on you using because web publishing takes time and is somewhat complicated and most of you will never learn how to post your own web page so it is a gimmick of sorts.

anyway if you have free web space (check your ISP website to see if you do) all you have to do is upload your pictures to your website and link them over here. uploaded them can be difficult because you need an FTP program like cuteftp or some such thing to enable you to upload them to your site.

I don't have any page material on my site right now, it is totally dedicated to hosting pictures for this board and the others I visit so lets break it down into simple easy steps.

contact your ISP to see if the give you free web space.

learn how to upload to that web space through a browser based system usually contained in the ISP website, or get a FTP (file transfer protocol) program and learn how to upload, it is usually as easy as drag and drop.

type in your webpage address and the name of the file in the IMG option you see when you post a new post and it will automatically toss in the HTML to make the image appear in a post. it is easy and smacks the ISP for thinking you are too stupid to use your free web space.

ATT broadband gives you 10 megs of space on average
if you are lucky and go through Xmission, you have 25 megs on average.

10-25 megs is good for about 50-75 mid sized pictures.

if none of this makes sense to you, figure it out. all the steps are there and it is your responsibility to figure out how the world around you functions. if you can rebuild a transmission and you cant figure out how to make image linking work, just throw yourself off the nearest 4 or more story building ASAP, there is no hope for you....

That is all :)

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
FYI,
allwest.net (for those of us on the eastern side of the wasatch) also gives 10 meg of space.

Although I haven't posted my pages yet, it really isn't terribly difficult. I just have been lazy in building them (just what the ISP expects!!)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
It is very interesting talking to sysops at ISPs that I run into on occasion. when I bring up the personal webspace topic, they laugh because they know it is true.

imgbuttonisyourfriend.jpg

THIS IMAGE POSTED FROM MY PERSONAL WEBSPACE

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
a little more FYI

I bootleg most of my software for FTP, picture editing, and wep page editing. if you need resources to obtain these programs without paying talk to me back channel and I will aid you on the road to hell :)

You can even use Internet Explorer as a FTP program, so it becomes like moving a file in windows. You can even right-click on a file in windows and select "copy" and then right click in the IE FTP window and click "paste" and it will copy the file right over.

First step is to log into the FTP server. Go into IE and type "ftp://your_username@your_ISPs_FTP_Site.com"
If you did that right you should be prompted to log in

login.JPG

Copy picture from Explorer

paste2.JPG

Paste into FTP window

paste.JPG

*One side note I noticed while uploading the pics for this post, if you get the pictures uploaded and you still cannot access them from a browser you may have to change the permissions on this file. Every file on a server has certain "permissions" that specifiy who can view the file. That way you can have files that only you can view or edit or files that anyone can view or edit. If you can't view your files from the web you should right-click on the file in the FTP window and select "Properties". You will get a window like this:

access.JPG

Make sure the Read permission is checked for All Users

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
there....we even have pictures!! now the only excuse you have not to remotely link your pictures is your own laziness!!

ledhead, that is a class act write up there, thank you for your expertise. :D