Renix TPS question

metalry101

R/C addict
My '88 XJ likes to idle high. Usually it idles fine on start up but as it warms up it starts to idle around 1500 rpms or so, sometimes even higher, especially if I've been higher in the RPM range. My understanding is that this is most likely the throttle position sensor, but could also be the idle air motor. I'd just replace it, but I have the manual trans, and the sensor is north of 100 bones, whereas it's about 30 for the sensor for the auto. The two sensors are exactly the same except the auto has two leads where the manual only has one. I assume the second lead goes to the tranny's computer, which I obviously I don't need. My question is will the auto tranny sensor work on the manual? I know for a fact my wiring harness will plug into it, and I assume that they run the same ECU since the tranny computer is seperate from the engine management computer...at least to my understanding. Since they run the exact same connector, and connect to exactly the same computer, shouldn't it work fine? Maybe there's something I'm missing? Maybe it will read different voltages and cause problems with my ECU or something? I'd like to save the money if I'm just paying extra for what I'd assume is the more rare part because of the manual tranny option, but if I'm paying for the part that works versus the part that doesn't work, then I'm willing to spend the extra dough. I just hate to waste 100 bucks if the 30 dollar part will do exactly the same thing.

I guess I could find a Renix era XJ w/ a manual in the junkyard and rob the sensors and such, but I don't know that I want to trust junkyard electronics. Maybe that's the best solution though?

Last edited:

74highboy

im running the one for the manual still after i swapped the auto in and i have the same idle problem i have just been lazy and not wanting to swap out the harness to put the other one on

metalry101

R/C addict
You don't want to swap the harness or the sensor? My harness is the same as the auto one. My harness has the 4 prong connector just sitting there not connected to anything, while the 3 prong is plugged in. On the '89 w/ an auto that I used to own, the sensor had leads to plug into both the 3 prong and 4 prong connectors on the harness.

Last edited:

74highboy

maybe i over looked the extra plug but 6 months ago when i finished the swap and started driving it i didnt see the second plug their ill have to double check that in the morning