Central Utah Rental for Utah Backcountry discovery routes

Michael86

Hi everybody,

my name is Michael. I'm from Austria and actually planning a trip to Utah in Spring 2014. I really do like the backcoountry, and I would love to do the Utah backcountry discovery route (http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR).

I would like to do it with a 4x4 vehicle - and thats the problem! As i'm not posessing a suitable vehicle (of course, being from the other side of the world surley doesn't make things easier) I would like to rent a vehicle. I read a lot of different forums and they all told me it would be quite difficult to do this, as the big rental agencies would not allow to drive such routes, and the small ones, like those in moab told me, the wouldn't rent their vehicles outside of the surrounding counties.

My main intention is not, to do the most difficult 4x4 trails, I'm more into enjoying the lonesomeness of the backcountry.
Do you know any possibilities for foreigners to do kind of long distance 4x4 driving in Utah? Are there any special rental agency I simply missed so far?

thanks for your help,

and merry Christmas from Austria,

Michael

I dont know of any rental agency that would rent a suitable 4x4 so I'm no help there.

What I would do is get with a group doing it and rent a seat. You can see more as a passenger than driver in my opinion. I have a friend from Austria that comes once every few yrs and rents a friends rig from him, so that may be possible as well. (Renting a fellow backcountry explorers rig)

Good luck.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good to have you here Michael! Hopefully we can help with your trip...

It sounds like have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into, Spring time in Utah can be challenging for a route like the UTBDR. There may still be snow drifts left from Winter, the high elevations may bring crazy weather, etc. Being prepared for possible detours due to snow (quality maps), possibly getting stuck (recovery gear), etc... would be a wise.

As far as a rental vehicle, I would imagine that your best bet would be a stock Jeep Wrangler. I would think you could rent one for a couple weeks somewhere in SLC without issue. If you're not taking it to Moab to 'rock crawl' I don't think there would be an issue. I would simply tell them you want to "Tour around Utah", no need to tell them much more IMO. Just did some searching and came up with Rugged Rental, they do rent out JK Wranglers! - http://reservations.ruggedrental.com/vehicles/special-suv-hard-top/

Have you seen SixstringSteve's report from his 4x4 UTBDR trip? Might help give you a better idea of what to expect. http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...tah-Backcountry-Discovery-Route-October-17-22

I know Cruiser Outfitters in Sandy, Utah does rent out gear for trips like this. One thing that my be handy could be a Freezer/Fridge! - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/rental_gear.html

sixstringsteve

if you skip the lockhart basin part, any old 4x4/awd should work. I think even a subaru would make it through most of the trail.

Tonkaman

There is a company out of Colorado that rents fully setup expedition vehicles. I know Colorado wasn't in the plans but it wouldn't be hard to start in Colorado instead of Utah. Check them out at Tontotrails.com

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Looks like Greg has already recommended Rugged Rentals. Before I bought a JK I talked to them about just renting the rig for a few days. They were not concerned with what I did with it, just that I got it back on time.

Michael86

Thank you very much for all your hints so far! I will contact Rugged Rental, using a stock Wrangler could be a great option for doing this way. And of course thank you for the Link to "tontotrail". I would really love to do it this way, although the rates make me weep ;). I allready wrote them a little mail, and hopefully they have capacities!

One more question about snow. We actually targetet to be there at the beginning of may. Do you think many roads wont be passable? Would it be better to head more in the south, towards arizona?

sixstringsteve

The northern areas of Utah (Uintas, Bear Lake Area, etc) will most likely still be snowed in. The La Sals may still have snow as well.

Michael86

Thank you all for your hints! We talked with John of Tonto Trails, and everything worked out fine. So we will do our little adventure with his rigs! I was very surprised how fast and friendly i was helped here! great work guys!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thank you all for your hints! We talked with John of Tonto Trails, and everything worked out fine. So we will do our little adventure with his rigs! I was very surprised how fast and friendly i was helped here! great work guys!

We try to be a pretty decent group, glad you got the help you were looking for!