Rental Jeeps in Moab

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Ok, I know this subject has been covered, but maybe there are some with more recent experiences out there with the Moab Jeep rental companies (Cliffhanger and Farabee always comes to mind). Name a few others and your experiences with them.

Here's why I'm asking....I am in the process of trading my tow rig in on one of these.

and here's why
For EJS 2007, I spent $1200 on fuel alone to tow my rig to Moab (and back) for 3 days of trail riding, and two days of fun (arches nat park). I can rent a jeep for around $200 per day (looks like a minimum of 3 days). With about $400 in fuel costs to and from, I'm still in it for less than if I tow my own rig out there, and I don't have to worry about breaking something.

thoughts? comments?

edit 11/21/07
Here's some links that I found useful:
General Moab Info
Cliffhanger Jeep Rentals
Canyonlands Jeep Adventures
Farabee Jeep Rental

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I'd go for it. Mileage is something that I'm wanting and a XJ definately isn't delivering at all. You'd be saving yourself money, and still having an enjoyable trip. That and if you break it, it's a rental. ;)

Seth

These go to 11
We had a friend follow us up PSM in a rental. It was fun to watch him drag the bumpers all over the place. He kept telling us each time he did that the cost of insurance was worth the fun.

This was a few years ago and the stock rubi's they rent are a world beyond the stocker he had.

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
I've rented from both Cliffhanger and from Farabee's. Cliffhanger still has older Rubicon TJ's. Farabee's has new 2007 Rubicons.

They tell you not to take them on Pritchett, Poison spider, Golden Spike, Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim.

Neither company offers insurance other than 1 tire replacement and windshield replacement. If you roll or damage Jeep your insurance has to pay for it. They charge you to come and recover broken rentals on the trail.

I would go with Farabee's. I had fun trying out the new Rubi. $200 per day during Easter I believe.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For that matter, check into cheap flights and rental cars to get to Moab--might be cheaper than driving and using more time off work.....

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
For that matter, check into cheap flights and rental cars to get to Moab--might be cheaper than driving and using more time off work.....

I've thought about that as well. However, I'll likely take my mountain bike this year. With all the trips I took to Moab while I lived there, I never took my bike. Plus, I have to pick up my nephew about 12 hours away from Moab.

As far as time off work, it's paid vacation, and I have plenty of it, so no worries there.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Renting isn't a bad option. If you want a Rubi, your choices are Farabees (JKs) or Cliffhanger (TJs). Just be careful which trails you go on, I don't think they allow a 4 or higher.

Get your reservation in early!

Dominic

We rented two Rubi's from Cliffhanger awhile ago, they were just stock but we beat the piss out of them and didn't have any problems. I got the feeling that they kept up on them pretty well. The ones that have parked out front of Archway inn now have bigger tires and a some lift. I can't recall any trail limitations in the paperwork but if there was it didn't stop us :)

kkemp

A couple years ago I rented from Canyonlands Jeep Rental. Steve's a pretty good guy. His jeeps are mainly stock though with isn't so great. He had some that had a 3 in lift and no lockers. His prices were lower that most of the others. I think they were around $125 a day. If I was going to rent again I'd go to Farabees or Cliffhanger. The Rubicons at cliffhanger have a 3 inch lift I believe with 33x10.50 tires. They also have sway bar disconnects.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
a guy I know flew in and rented a TJ from "i think" cliffhanger. On the approach road up to 7 mile rim, before you even need 4wd, the factor LCA broke. Pretty bad break, you could tell it had been cracked for a while and the other one was cracked as well. We used a replacement that we had, about 2 hours of time getting the axle lined back up on the trail, and then limped it back.

Not only did he still have to pay for the jeep ,he had to pay for the broken arm. Pretty BS if you ask me that their poor upkeep cost an entire days wheelin and more money for him.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
thats why they give you an inspection sheet before you take it. when we rented from them, i listed every dent and scratch on the underside as well as the body. checked the tire sidewalls for cuts, checked the drivelines and u-joints. i checked everything i could get my hands on. they where still brand new when we did it, so there wasnt a lot of damage to list. i didnt want my insurance paying for something someone else did.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Thanks for the feedback. The pre-delivery inspection sounds like a very good suggestion. Looks like I'll have to make my reservations this week in order to insure a successful EJS!

By the way, here's my new car!
47b7cf01b3127cceb036778267ca00000026108AcNmLNszZtm

47b7cf01b3127cceb0378bbc47c600000026108AcNmLNszZtm

47b7cf01b3127cceb03784aa867f00000026108AcNmLNszZtm

Ok, I know this subject has been covered, but maybe there are some with more recent experiences out there with the Moab Jeep rental companies (Cliffhanger and Farabee always comes to mind). Name a few others and your experiences with them.

Here's why I'm asking....I am in the process of trading my tow rig in on one of these.

and here's why
For EJS 2007, I spent $1200 on fuel alone to tow my rig to Moab (and back) for 3 days of trail riding, and two days of fun (arches nat park). I can rent a jeep for around $200 per day (looks like a minimum of 3 days). With about $400 in fuel costs to and from, I'm still in it for less than if I tow my own rig out there, and I don't have to worry about breaking something.

thoughts? comments?

Rented a 4dr from Farabees last June for the White Rim trail. LOVED IT! Damn near came back and sold my tow rig, trailer, jeep, etc. It had the hard top (recommended) and 33x10.50 BFG AT's. Perfect!

We couldn't get a 4dr Rubicon, but didn't need it for that trail. It was a great experience and makes for a great weekend. We rented it from Friday night to Sunday night.

It also convinced me that I need to buy a JK when the tow rig is paid off.

Attachments

• 2007_White_Rim_283 small.jpg
    2007_White_Rim_283 small.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 7