replacement leaf springs

JPaul

I need to repair/replace the rear leaf springs on my Hummer H3, the bushings are shot and I noticed the top leaf on both springs are starting to bend down at the back:

AEYXAkI.jpg

I can just buy new OEM springs for about a couple hundred each shipped, but I'm going to be running a constant load of a fridge, drawers, and recovery/emergency gear in the cargo area (fridge is about 65lbs empty, drawers will probably end up being about 50 pounds or so, and I haven't weighed my gear but I'd easily say it'll be around 100+ pounds, so about a 225-250 pound constant load).

I've heard I can also have the existing springs re-arched and an additional leaf put in, but I have no idea what shops in the Salt Lake area would be best for that. Does anyone have any suggestions of local shops that do quality work for a good price? This is my daily driver so I'd rather put in a set of springs that are going to last and be relatively comfortable over the crappy state 4100 S is in (I've given up hope that they will ever actually repave that dang road, all they do is keep cutting more holes in it and poorly patching them back over...)

Also, would completely new custom springs be an affordable option? I don't want to spend a grand on springs for this, but I'd be ok with a couple hundred more over stock if they are really nice, so say up to about $600 for the pair. I'd be replacing the springs myself, so labor is not a factor here.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I believe you can get a set of Alcans with a Military Wrap for right around $600 a pair. They'll custom make them based on the weight of your vehicle, too.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Load your truck up as you'd normally be running it, and take it into AAA Spring on 9th west. They'll make exactly what you need, and they're relatively inexpensive as well.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd say that replacement springs should be your only option. Re-arched springs won't last very long, and it sounds like you need a heavier rate anyways. The extra leaf would help a re-arched pack, but I think a full pack built to your spec will be much better.

BC's advice to go to AAA spring is good. Alcans would be neat too.

JPaul

I have the stock springs sitting on the side of my house. Only have 35k miles on them before they were taken off. $80 for the pair if you want them.

I'll take them. I don't really have the cash to do custom springs right now, and I'd rather not put anything on a credit card if I don't have to. This will get me by until I can take the time to get new custom packs made. Plus I won't have my drawers finished for probably another few weeks, and I really don't want to end up with a broken spring or something stupid.

Will you be up near Millcreek tomorrow? If possible I'd like to get them before I leave for camping tomorrow afternoon to have with me in case something goes wrong. If not that's cool, I can get them from you next week. I still need to pick up those seats as well from you.

rholbrook

Load your truck up as you'd normally be running it, and take it into AAA Spring on 9th west. They'll make exactly what you need, and they're relatively inexpensive as well.
What he said. They may also be able to re-arch them too. I had them redo one side of an Explorer for me

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I'll take them. I don't really have the cash to do custom springs right now, and I'd rather not put anything on a credit card if I don't have to. This will get me by until I can take the time to get new custom packs made. Plus I won't have my drawers finished for probably another few weeks, and I really don't want to end up with a broken spring or something stupid.

Will you be up near Millcreek tomorrow? If possible I'd like to get them before I leave for camping tomorrow afternoon to have with me in case something goes wrong. If not that's cool, I can get them from you next week. I still need to pick up those seats as well from you.

I'm not 100% sure exactly where I'll be tomorrow, I've kinda been all over the place lately. But I'm sure we could make something work.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If you're looking for a cheap fix to prevent them from bending like that again, cut the eyes off the main spring and add it into the new pack.

thenag

If you're looking for a cheap fix to prevent them from bending like that again, cut the eyes off the main spring and add it into the new pack.

You beat me to that comment. On the Bronco's we used to make leaf packs just like that. Take a spring cut the eye off put it in the second spring place. It seems to help limit axle wrap too.

Remember to buy new u-bolts when putting together a leaf pack. any spring shop can make you u-bolts for cheap.

Nathan

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
You beat me to that comment. On the Bronco's we used to make leaf packs just like that. Take a spring cut the eye off put it in the second spring place. It seems to help limit axle wrap too.

Remember to buy new u-bolts when putting together a leaf pack. any spring shop can make you u-bolts for cheap.

Nathan

New u-bolts is good advice any time they're removed. I'd also replace the spring center pins if you take the packs apart.

thenag

New u-bolts is good advice any time they're removed. I'd also replace the spring center pins if you take the packs apart.

I also remembered that I live Salt Lake now... After my bronco lived in Salt Lake for a year or two the nuts on the u-bolts were so rusted on, the best thing to do was cut the old u-bolts off.

So not only is new u-bolts the correct and safe thing to do, it will save you a bunch of time and hassle to just cut the old ones off, IME

Nathan

JPaul

Well AAA has been a complete waste of my time so far, I had them bend me some U-bolts on Friday so that I could swap the springs out today. Got one side undone just to find out that they didn't measure correctly and the U-bolts they bent me are too narrow by about a quarter inch. And of course none of the shops open today have the right size either, so I have to wait until Monday to get new ones bent. Otherwise I have to order some online and wait a week or more to get them. I should have known to question it when he was simply using a ruler to measure instead of calipers. The U-bolts would fit if it was just on the axle tube itself, but the H3's rear axle has additional pads welded on that the U-bolts sit on.

Guess I should have measured them myself. Now I have to have my wife drive me to the shop Monday morning and then to work and then pick me back up at the end of the day.

The bolts all came off super easy though, so that was nice.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Try smacking them on the concrete, at the bottom of the 'U'... that'll open them up a little bit and they might just slip into place.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
What Greg said, or just use a couple of jack handles as cheater bars to spread them. I don't think I've ever bought a new set of U bolts and had them drop right in, they always need some tweaking.

Rather than do all that running around crap, if you can't get the new ones on I'd stick the old ones back on temporarily.

JPaul

Yeah, no. That's not going to open up the bend 1/4, just the tips. It's 1/4 too narrow at the diameter of the bend. If I were somehow able to bend it open enough to fit on the axle, there'd be no way for me to get it to fit through the bottom clamp plate.

Hx6Fni9.jpg

JPaul

I also have to cut off the front spring bolt, apparently that is completely rusted into the inner sleeve of the bushing and does NOT want to budge. So I'm done for the evening. I'm not wasting my time trying to re-bend U-bolts that should have been bent the right dimensions in the first place. To make the radius large enough would splay the ends out so dang far that I'd then have to somehow press them back together (doable, but a complete waste of my time) so that they'll fit through the bottom plate. Not my idea of a good time.

So I'm just going to take them back to AAA along with the old U-bolt and have them re-bend them or bend me some new ones, then pick up a set of longer metal saw blades (I tried to cut the bolt tonight but don't have enough clearance and reach with the blade I currently have) and spend Monday night trying to get this all done.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've installed worse fitting U bolts. Spread them so they drop on, them use a clamp to narrow them to fit the axle plate.