Replacement Manual Tranny

P

pokeyYJ

What is a good replacement tranny for my 2.5L YJ? Mine is fine right now but I am thinking ahead. I think that I have the AX-5 tranny right now. Or is it the AX-15? either way, what would be a good replacement? Should I do like a NV 3550, like in the new 4.0L TJ's? Or is the one that I have now going to stand up to the MASSIVE amounts of torque from my squirrles? When the tranny that I have now goes out should I rebuild or replace?

Caleb

I woiuld replace it but its hsould be fine for now...you have the Ax-5 behind the 2.5L...There is a write-up of a guy swapping a 420 I believe behind his 2.5L...thats a real good tranny...let me see what I can find...

P

pokeyYJ

Cool, one other thing that I thought might be advantageous to swapping trannies was that I could get a better First gear (lower). That way my crawl ratio would be lower without having to regear or swap t-cases.

Caleb

I was wrong...totally wrong:D

It was Sillyneck on POR and he put a T-18 in place of his puegot and its not much of a write-up...here it is (even though it wont do youmuch good)
http://www.jeepsides.homestead.com/4speed.html

I would suggest searching on POR because this has been asked before over there...you are VERY limited as to what you can put behind you 2.5L...