Report: Little Sahara Sand Dunes

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

chicken77

throttle jockey
I had a great time with the kids, they really enjoyed watching the rigs play in the sand. I was very happy with how well my Toyota did, and will be looking forward to hitting the dunes again!!!!

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
My new truck is AMAZING in the sand! Even with stock tires this thing was walking around pretty easily. My only complaint was the traction control kept reducing RPMs to stop wheel spin. No matter how many traction control configurations I tried it didn't stop it. Anyone know how to turn that completely off?

I don't know what you're driving, but a few modern truck models can have the traction control system fuse pulled. If you want to get fancy, run a switch to hot side of that fuse. In my 2012 F150, pulling the fuse also disables the t-case shift motor, so a switch is pretty handy.

Jared

JPaul

Aside from getting stuck three times, the only issue I ran into was the Hummer not wanting to start about halfway through the trip. I'd just get a click of the solenoid. After several tries it would eventually start. Wasn't sure what it was exactly, could've been the starter, the battery, or the terminals (the stock ones are notorious for being problematic).

Took a look at it today and determined the battery is going out. It has enough power to run the electronics and everything, but starting is a different matter. I was able to get it to start OK today, but it definitely struggled to turn the motor over. I'm going to pick up a new battery tomorrow. Possibly an X2Power from Batteries plus.

I've felt the battery was starting to get weak with this last winter, and I think bouncing around yesterday finally pushed it over the edge.

Tonkaman

I don't know what you're driving, but a few modern truck models can have the traction control system fuse pulled. If you want to get fancy, run a switch to hot side of that fuse. In my 2012 F150, pulling the fuse also disables the t-case shift motor, so a switch is pretty handy.

Jared

Hey now that's not a bad idea!

It's a 2016 Tacoma off-road. Because of that it has the crazy multi-terrain plus your typical traction control systems.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Aside from getting stuck three times, the only issue I ran into was the Hummer not wanting to start about halfway through the trip. I'd just get a click of the solenoid. After several tries it would eventually start. Wasn't sure what it was exactly, could've been the starter, the battery, or the terminals (the stock ones are notorious for being problematic).

Took a look at it today and determined the battery is going out. It has enough power to run the electronics and everything, but starting is a different matter. I was able to get it to start OK today, but it definitely struggled to turn the motor over. I'm going to pick up a new battery tomorrow. Possibly an X2Power from Batteries plus.

I've felt the battery was starting to get weak with this last winter, and I think bouncing around yesterday finally pushed it over the edge.

Might as well replace the terminals/cables at the same time if there is even a question about them...

Looks like a fun trip! I wish I could have made it.:)

JPaul

I replaced the terminals last night with some brass ones I had laying around. Left a 1 amp charger on it overnight and it started up OK this morning. We'll see what happens when I go to leave from work this evening...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
put it in park and hold down the TC button for like 15 seconds until a couple of amber lights turn on. You will have to redo this procedure everytime you restart the car.

I've been back there plenty of times in trucks so I was more than happy to lead everyone around.

My new truck is AMAZING in the sand! Even with stock tires this thing was walking around pretty easily. My only complaint was the traction control kept reducing RPMs to stop wheel spin. No matter how many traction control configurations I tried it didn't stop it. Anyone know how to turn that completely off?

Tonkaman

put it in park and hold down the TC button for like 15 seconds until a couple of amber lights turn on. You will have to redo this procedure everytime you restart the car.

I tried that and didn't notice any lights come on or any change at all. I'll give it another shot next time I'm out

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yes and and next time we could do a "group use fee" that is a flat $65 (up to 40 people) and that way we don't have to pay $18 each vehicle.
Just an idea;;;;
Couldn't you you just bypass the left going into lil Sahara rec area and go straight along that road to get into the tip of the dunes there (kinda above white sands) like going to cherry creek and avoid the fee's.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
Well I spend too much time on Google maps. $18 is outrageous though. Knolls would be cheaper.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I don't have issues with paying access fees. That fee goes towards improved bathrooms and campgrounds, maintained roads, and other ways to keep our areas clean, and open.

$18 is high, but if you plan on going more, get a season pass.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't have issues with paying access fees. That fee goes towards improved bathrooms and campgrounds, maintained roads, and other ways to keep our areas clean, and open.

x2

The money isn't an issue, knowing that the funds go towards supporting a popular OHV area is FINE by me.

Caleb

Agreed. We shouldn't discuss circumventing the fees. It's not something we condone. Figuring out you can do a group pass is a good find though.