Restoring headlight lenses

Stacey

The clear headlight lenses on a couple of our cars have been slowly degrading and turning yellowish, almost to the point you think one light must be out due to the deminished birghtness. I've noticed offers around town to restore the lenses from $79.00 to $125.00. My brother told me to use toothpaste with whitening on them. Just now gave it a try on my sons car, none of my own cars are around due to the other sons borrowing them. Gotta tell you guys, it worked amazingly. After wetting a rag and squeezing about an 1 1/2" of toothpaste on the rag then rubbed the lenses for about a minute each, rinsed with a hose and wow, the lenses look almost new. Don't know how long they will last this way but they sure look 1000 times better than they were. Now I just need to get my own cars back from the other boys to do my own lenses.

Of course, I'm probably the last one to know this little secret.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
When you do it you need to put a sealer back on the lens. What happens is the original sealer turns yellow due to the sun degrading it. When you polished it with the tooth paste or any product it removes it. You now no longer have that protective layer on them. If you ever use a store bought product that is the biggest part, look for one that has a sealer with it. You can use wax like you would use for the paint but it will never do as good of a job as the original and turns yellow again unless you keep up on it.

The good places that do it actually put a clear film over the lens to reseal them but again it will eventually turn yellow again but will usually last a good bit of time before happening.