Retread Tires

I have ran re-treads on my Dually rears for 3 years now. I usually get about 50-60K miles out of the rear. DOT wont let me run Re-treads up front, but the tires lasted about the same under heavy loads for a 19.5" tire.

Never had one seperate on me as of yet, and Im on my 3rd set for each of my trucks.

outlaw_offroad

XJ Pride!!!
Retread are only as good as the casing that is being retreaded. Treadwright is a pretty good retreader and have good inspection standards for their casing. They also have a good, modern facility in Edgemont, SD. I have been to their facility and was impressed (my Dad used to be in the retread game in MN). I have run their retreads on daily drivers and off-road trucks without issue. I even drove my old XJ from Rapid City, SD to Moab, wheeled 10 days, and drove back all without issue (from the tires atleast).

Bulges in the tread face like the picture above are the result of poor casing inspection or preperation. Casings with patches or punctures should NEVER be retreaded (I imagine this casing had a puncture that was not noted). Also, when they retread a casing, they actually grind the old tread off. Grinding creates heat that can cause the casing to expand. This expansion will cause the casing to be overground to the point it will fail when capped.

Treadwright will retread your casing and ensure they are returned to you. I would suggest if you have good core tires, have them retread those. Then you know what you are getting back for a carcass.

J20 project

I'm on my 3rd set.
first set, had a bubble develop after 2yrs. Had them on two diff trucks, paid no attention to rotation direction...

2nd set, last year, 3 out of 4 came apart. They were the tread pattern just before the MTR tread. Company made good and sent me my
3rd set. Mtr as shown in 285/17. So far they are holding up well. The others came apart right away so, I kinda think they got these glued/bonded better.

Partly, I think it is due to the fact I am running them on a diesel. I won't tow with them, only hunting tires.
I don't think you would have a problem w/ a lighter vehicle at all.
2nd and 3rd set were all on BFG KO carcasses.
J20 project

xjjeeper

I have run three set of treadwright tires. I absolutely love them. They are great and they wear great. The only problem now is they quit making anything bigger that 33". If you are looking for tires don't hesitate to buy from treadwright. I am going to order a set of 265/75/16 for my ZJ in the next week or so.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
well i guess they must be better than the semi truck ones so i was wrong from what everyone has said, but have all of these people used the retreads as DD?

I was in the trucking buisiness for a number of years and didnt have much luck with recaps, but I believe it is due to the combo of high speed and wieght why a lot of semi truck recaps come apart, driving at 75 mph for ten hrs straight wieghing in at 80,000 lbs they heat up and seperate, ive seen many local semi's, dump trucks and garbage trucks running recaps without issue because they never get hot. I going to try a set on my DD grand cherokke that never has much of a load on it.

jevyguy

My Bro-in -Law has the mtr's on a DD 4-runner and totally loves them.
Apon request he even got the goodyear MTR sidewalls to match.