Reverse Cut axles...

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Got a question.

I read this somewhere, but I don't know if I believe it.

I know that Reverse Cut High Pinion axles are a lot better, especially for the front. I always figured it was the same way for the rear...

They have the pinion up higher so it's out of the way of danger from rocks, etc. But I heard that they are only good for front end applications. and that it is better to not have a RCHP axle in the rear because of the direction that the ring gear spins...

Is this true? Or would it be better to have RCHP axles front and rear.

I know my Dana 30 RCHP is a lot stronger than a normal Dana 30, but is my Dana 44 non RCHP any stronger than a similar Dana 44 but with RCHP? I'm not talking about any aftermarket stuff added either, because I know my Dana 44 is off the hook (moser shafts and an ARB.) :D

Thanks!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Reverse cut gears are stronger in front applications. Standard cut gears are stronger in rear applications.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
RockMonkey said:
Reverse cut gears are stronger in front applications. Standard cut gears are stronger in rear applications.

Oh, so it's just the ring gear that's stronger in the rear with a standard, but the RCHP just has the added security of a high pinion out of the way of rocks!... Thanks!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The pinion is higher in a reverse cut axle because of the cut of the gears. It also has the advantage of being up out of the rocks. When you get to beefy axles like 60s you can run a reverse cut axle in the rear because the gears are strong enough to handle being run on the coast side of the gear.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
A reverse cut runs on the coast side of the gear in the rear, Standard cut on the drive side in the rear.

Reverse in the frt runs on the drive side, Standard runs on the coast side.

Because of the helical cut of the gears, running on the coast side is said to be 20-30% weaker.

This does not apply the same with the flipped standard cut axles in reversed drivetrain buggys.....