Revised Stock Class OSRC Frame Rules

Craig S

Commando
Hi Teams,

Brian Cannon and I have discussed what the teams have stated regarding the stock class and the frame rules. We would like your comments regarding the following revision for the stock class rules (changes are in red on the attached PDF View attachment Stock Class Revisions.pdf) :

1. Street Stock Class (license and registration required)

1.1 Tires - Maximum tire size is 37", based on manufactures sidewall stamp. Three bonus points (-3) issued for each inch below 37" to a minimum of 33".

1.2 Steering - Street Stock class is limited to hydraulic assist of stock type components (hydraulic rams OK). Rear steer or full hydraulic steering is not allowed. Cross over steering acceptable.

1.3 Frame
1.3a Frames must be OEM or direct OEM design aftermarket replacement (box type rectangular or square tubing only). Frame reinforcement allowed.
1.3b Frame rail modifications are not allowed as follows: cutting holes in the frame rails for custom brackets as allowed in 1.7 below, notches in frames for suspension as allowed in 1.7 below, bolt on or weld on custom brackets, and frame adjustments to maintain stock wheel base +- 3” are permitted.
1.3c Frames cannot be drilled or punched to lighten them.
1.4 Body
1.4a Bodies must be full width of OEM. Bodywork must extend a minimum of 24” past the center of the rear axle. Full recognizable 4x4 bodies i.e. Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet, I.H. etc., are required. Some trimming of body allowed such as fenders and corner panels. Fenders may be trimmed under the area that would be covered by a factory or aftermarket fender flair or a maximum of 3”.
1.4b Front fender wells may be omitted. All flooring and fire walls must be fully intact with the exception of the following:
1.4b1 The hump area directly over the transmission and transfer case may be modified to accommodate aftermarket products or lifting of stock components.
1.4b2 The floorboard may be cut or modified for clearance of rear shocks, fuel tanks and routing of fuel lines.
1.4c Flat beds allowed on trucks with a +20 point penalty assessed.

1.5 Radiator - Radiators must be in factory position and covered by the hood.

1.6 Seating - Vehicles must have two (2) seats side by side.
1.7 Suspension
1.7a Stock configuration suspension designs required. Example: leaf from factory, leaf for competition, coil/leaf from factory, coil/leaf for competition, etc... Double shackle, air shocks or coil over systems are allowed with a 10 point penalty (+10).
1.7b No limitation on suspension attachment point measurements, but overall wheelbase MUST remain +- 3 inches of stock for the vehicle body.
1.7c Manual or automatically controlled suspension systems that compensate ride height are not allowed. Front bumper mounted winches may be used as an adjustable limiting strap for the front axle. Rear axle winches are also allowed as an adjustable limiting strap.
1.7d Shackle reversal approved for leaf springs. Shackle hangers may use holes cut in the frame for leaf spring shackle bushings. Rear leaf springs mounted inside the frame are allowed (frenched).
1.7e Portal Axles are not allowed.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
So does that allow a factory frame from another make/model vehicle to be used?
Example, my 46 cj2a has a 85 toyota frame. As long as wheelbase is within +/-3 of the cj2a, then it is legal for the stock class?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So does that allow a factory frame from another make/model vehicle to be used?
Example, my 46 cj2a has a 85 toyota frame. As long as wheelbase is within +/-3 of the cj2a, then it is legal for the stock class?

I'm thinking your scenario is exactly why they are thinking of the rule change. It was brought up that a simple frame swap at least to another OEM available frame doesn't really give any clear advantage as long it still maintains the same wheelbase as the body of the vehicle being driven.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
A Toyota frame was never an OEM Jeep option though. A swap to a TJ frame would offer several advantages over the stock CJ2A setup, etc etc.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
A Toyota frame was never an OEM Jeep option though. A swap to a TJ frame would offer several advantages over the stock CJ2A setup, etc etc.

True but a Toyota to a TJ frame swap wouldn't keep the same suspension type. Link type suspension frame to a link type frame and a leaf type frame to a leaf type frame would still keep the same type of suspension as what the body says it should be but offer no other serious advantage. Only advantage would be the ease of drivetrain swaps. This is all just my opinion of course.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
what if the stock body does not do this? I have yet to see a stock body that doesn't meet this, but if you have someting that changes my opinion, we'll address that at tech.

would a bench seat count? since it has room for 2 people, with each person have separate seat belts. Yes. a bench seat is fine, you just have to sit two people side by side.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it comming!

minisrus

I would like the option of running up to 39-40 inch tires like the JK class even if it had a huge point penalty..... I would like to come down and run the stock lines.... with my wheel base and huge axles... I hang up on everything with 37's... Or let me play with the JK boys as my wheel base is about 8 " longer than theirs LOL! Sand Hollow 4-26-2012 001.jpg

Team1k

i have a few questions, not sure if this is the right place to ask. First one is the rule stating you can modify the floorboards. What about boatsides? I still have a floor and all but i did have to cut some of it out to fit the angled steel.

Second question is on this statement " 1.7a Stock configuration suspension designs required. Example: leaf from factory, leaf for competition, coil/leaf from factory, coil/leaf for competition, etc... Double shackle, air shocks or coil over systems are allowed with a 10 point penalty (+10)."

When i first read it i thought "ok so my yj has leafs up front but coilovers in the rear so that means ill take a 10 point penalty for having the coils. Now though im starting to think it means i have to have leaf springs front and rear and can only have made modifications to what was there (revolvers, double shackle, etc...) and not a complete switch to another system.

Or am i reading this wrong?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You have 3 options here, and plenty of time to decide:

Option 1: Borrow a set of tires to get you into the stock class.

Option 2: Run as is, in the Legends Class.

Option 3: Buy a JK between now and then.

I would like the option of running up to 39-40 inch tires like the JK class even if it had a huge point penalty..... I would like to come down and run the stock lines.... with my wheel base and huge axles... I hang up on everything with 37's... Or let me play with the JK boys as my wheel base is about 8 " longer than theirs LOL! View attachment 78870

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Me E-tech opinion would be:

i have a few questions, not sure if this is the right place to ask. First one is the rule stating you can modify the floorboards. What about boatsides? I still have a floor and all but i did have to cut some of it out to fit the angled steel. I would have to look at it to make a decision here, I'm not sure what "some of it" means.

Second question is on this statement " 1.7a Stock configuration suspension designs required. Example: leaf from factory, leaf for competition, coil/leaf from factory, coil/leaf for competition, etc... Double shackle, air shocks or coil over systems are allowed with a 10 point penalty (+10)." You did a suspension "type" swap (think SAS) on one axle, so the 10 point penalty would apply.

When i first read it i thought "ok so my yj has leafs up front but coilovers in the rear so that means ill take a 10 point penalty for having the coils. Now though im starting to think it means i have to have leaf springs front and rear and can only have made modifications to what was there (revolvers, double shackle, etc...) and not a complete switch to another system.

Or am i reading this wrong?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
So far in this conversation, I haven’t seen a compelling reason to not allow the two vehicles in question to compete in the stock class. So for now, assuming they meet the rest of the stock criteria (wheelbase has to match the body, same suspension rules, ect), that’s the direction I’m heading.If there is anyone planning on running the stock class and feels this is an issue, PM me your concerns and I’ll address them.

Also, for those of you planning on competing for your first time. Know what your vehicle is going to need to get through the tech inspection, and make sure you comply to all the rules. Given the new two day format, if you fail tech you won't have the time to make any needed changes and get back through tech. If you have any doubts, I'm in the salt lake valley and would be happy to pre-tech it so to speak, and let you know if you're lacking anything. I'd really hate to turn anyone away after driving all the way to Delta. Haven't had to yet, I'd like to keep it that way.

Team1k

Ive been meaning to take a picture of my floor so you can see how much is gone for the boatsides. Ill most likely be contacting you once i get my ram assist steering on to have you pre tech it. Id definitely want to know what class i would be in.

So far in this conversation, I haven’t seen a compelling reason to not allow the two vehicles in question to compete in the stock class. So for now, assuming they meet the rest of the stock criteria (wheelbase has to match the body, same suspension rules, ect), that’s the direction I’m heading.If there is anyone planning on running the stock class and feels this is an issue, PM me your concerns and I’ll address them.

Also, for those of you planning on competing for your first time. Know what your vehicle is going to need to get through the tech inspection, and make sure you comply to all the rules. Given the new two day format, if you fail tech you won't have the time to make any needed changes and get back through tech. If you have any doubts, I'm in the salt lake valley and would be happy to pre-tech it so to speak, and let you know if you're lacking anything. I'd really hate to turn anyone away after driving all the way to Delta. Haven't had to yet, I'd like to keep it that way.