Rick's Back Flip off Rock Pile

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
When I see videos like this it makes me so glad I have a longer wheelbase. Awesome video though!!

You really going to take your Grand up the Rock Pile? I wanna see the video. ;)

FYI... Rock Pile does not discriminate, wheelbase means nothing. I'm pretty sure this 4Runner has much more wheelbase than a Grand Cherokee.

[YOUTUBE]tiNV8V4O2qA[/YOUTUBE]

redtoy

FYI... Rock Pile does not discriminate, wheelbase means nothing. I'm pretty sure this 4Runner has much more wheelbase than a Grand Cherokee.

That was me was not a fun ride. Looks like the sami took it better though

redtoy

replace a pillars on cage. alternator and bracket for the 4.3. New front fenders and hood and alot of work with a porta power putting the roof kinda were it belonged. Still wheel this rig but did bob the rear because I think that was one reson I could not save it. The avatar pic was from the day before when she was still a straight rig.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

Just saying there have been situations where my 106in wheelbase was quite advantageous compared to others in the group.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I dont think I have ever seen a full backflip in a runner, HOLY CRAP!
makes me want to make sure that my stinger is tall enough!!

Greg

Admin
That was an amazing feat, pretty neat how he ended back on his wheels. Glad to hear he wasn't injured, that was quite the ride!

I have a question, how did Rick feel the next day? What was he wearing as far as a seat belt and what kind of seats is he running? This would be a huge argument for 4 or 5 point harnesses and quality suspension seats.

Greg

Admin
That was me was not a fun ride. Looks like the sami took it better though

Yeah, I've watched your video many, many times. Glad you made it out alright!

I'm surprised how that happened the way it did.... did you start in 1st gear, then try 2nd when the roll happened? What are your thoughts on what caused you to go over backwards, other than hanging up on the rear body? I would have thought that much overhang in the rear would have acted to keep you from going over, guess not! :eek:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
That was an amazing feat, pretty neat how he ended back on his wheels. Glad to hear he wasn't injured, that was quite the ride!

I have a question, how did Rick feel the next day? What was he wearing as far as a seat belt and what kind of seats is he running? This would be a huge argument for 4 or 5 point harnesses and quality suspension seats.

Rick said he was a little sore the next day, but not bad. By Monday, he felt fine, and was back out on Moab Rim and Hell's Revenge. He is using stock-type Toyota seats and the stock seat belt / shoulder strap.

He did evrything right when he started to go over. He held on to the steering wheel and braced himself. He's lucky he wasn't hurt, and I agree that good suspension seats and a harness are important safety items.

I had reinforced his cage just a few weeks ago, adding a cross tube at the windshield, diagonal and cross tubes behind the cab, additional overhead tubes, and other bracing / gussets. It held up remarkably well.

Greg

Admin
Rick said he was a little sore the next day, but not bad. By Monday, he felt fine, and was back out on Moab Rim and Hell's Revenge. He is using stock-type Toyota seats and the stock seat belt / shoulder strap.

He did evrything right when he started to go over. He held on to the steering wheel and braced himself. He's lucky he wasn't hurt, and I agree that good suspension seats and a harness are important safety items.

I had reinforced his cage just a few weeks ago, adding a cross tube at the windshield, diagonal and cross tubes behind the cab, additional overhead tubes, and other bracing / gussets. It held up remarkably well.

Good to hear Jeff! Hope you didn't think I was knocking Rick's rig or how it was built, obviously it held up well and the cage did it's job. The fact that he stayed safe is more then enough proof that the safety aspect worked well.

:cool:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
...Hope you didn't think I was knocking Rick's rig or how it was built...

:cool:

No, not at all. Rick bought the rig already built. The guy that built it did a very nice job, but Rick and I both felt that the cage needed a lot more bracing. I'm glad we did it! Our next major modification to it will be tweaking the suspension a bit and pushing the rear axle back 6 or 8 inches. As it sits now, wheelbase is only about 97". Overall, the rig works great, but it is a bit short for some of the bigger verticals.

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
I just upgraded my seats and added harnesses for this reason, I can't stay off of Rockpile. I was next up after Rick and am so used to only having my waist belt that I forgot to use the harness!......NEXT TIME!
If you look on the video, you'll see it threw his hat off his head and out the door. I was really worried about whiplash or a head injury and you can see I was already off and running before the video stopped.
Rick's a tough guy and was in Mickey's hot tub on Monday.....CRAZY!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
replace a pillars on cage. alternator and bracket for the 4.3. New front fenders and hood and alot of work with a porta power putting the roof kinda were it belonged. Still wheel this rig but did bob the rear because I think that was one reson I could not save it. The avatar pic was from the day before when she was still a straight rig.

If you don't mind, I was wondering why your cage failed. Do you think it was just a super hard hit, or anything else that caused it? What was the design like? Tubing used? Weld quality? ect...