Ride Report; Wet, muddy Moab

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Well... we're here!

I would just like to preface the story of our adventure by stating this... Never before today have I been on a motorcycle looking like I just climbed out of a swimming pool with my gear on. Holy mother of monsoon rainfall! :eek:

More to come...

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Okay, okay. I'll get off my sore, ruined butt and try to put into words something that can't really be described in words. I'll be borrowing heavily from Greg's photos, as I only managed to snap 7 photos on my BlackBerry.

Day 1:

We arrived at Canyonlands Campground at 12:10PM and were greeted by dark, low clouds and a steady drizzle of rain. Moab was wet and sunless, and according to the camp hostess it had been raining all day. We reserved our tent site, which looked more like someplace to keep barnyard animals than a place to camp. But, the awning almost covered my whole tent and gave us enough space to park our rigs and keep the picnic table out of the rain.

We opted to hit the trail as soon as we could, as the rain showed no signs of letting up. After donning as much water-repellent riding gear as we could, we headed south down Kane Creek Road toward Lockhart Basin. The rain was coming down lightly, just enough to keep your gear moist, but there were a TON of puddles and a lot of mud bits that started to build up on our jackets and goggles. At the stream crossing near Cliffhanger (Amasa Back for you bikers!), there was a Subaru stopped at the edge of the water, considering the risks of driving through the rushing water. When Greg came up on it he didn't even hesitate, blasting through the water with gusto and disappearing for a moment in a torrent of splashing redrock-colored spray. I can only imagine what the guys in the Sube were thinking! I wish I had a photo!

1062297701_mENth-L.jpg

As we continued on the rain began to increase quickly. Right before our eyes puddles quickly became running spillways, carrying red dirt and white foam down stream. Our gear couldn't repel the water anymore and we started getting soaked through quickly! However, it really wasn't that cold and the wind wasn't enough to make us too uncomfortable so we decided to keep pressing on. Our logic was that riding while soaked was still funner than sitting at camp and watching the downpour.

1062297867_wCa3y-L.jpg

1062298325_eRcP6-L.jpg

Eventually, the ground really started to soften up and while the bikes had been wandering a little on the soft terrain before, it began to get down right difficult to maintain control once we started hitting mud at speed. After several close calls for both of us, Greg finally went down on the 650 at about 35MPH. Luckily his rear tire washed out sideways and he shed a lot of speed before he went over. No injuries, but a little damage was done to the rear cargo rack and hand guard.

IMG00028-20101022-1523.jpg

At this point, we decided it was time to play it safe and go set up camp. Oddly enough, we still pushed it pretty hard on the way back and made excellent time. I never did get really cold, though it felt absolutely wonderful to shed those soaking wet clothes back at camp and take a nice, warm shower! Greg had his RTT up in a jiffy, and even thought to bring a nice 10x10' canopy, which proved to be invaluable due to the inclement weather. Thanks man!

1062299379_ALBpK-L.jpg

Roasting soaked, leather boots on an open fire...

IMG00030-20101022-2215.jpg

After a dinner at the new Mexican restaurant at the south end of town, we BS'ed around the campfire for a few hours and headed off to bed - praying for sunnier skies when we awoke the next day.

Last edited:

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Day 2:

Fortunately, our prayers were answered and we got up Saturday morning to much fairer weather. Everything was still wet from the relentless rains from yesterday, but the skies had partially cleared and the rain was no longer falling. Today was going to be our big, full day on the bikes and I was elated to see such an improvement in the weather! The campground had a laundromat which we put to good use and all our riding gear, while still very dirty, was dry and ready for more action.

On Greg's recommendation, we decided to go run a section of the White Rim Trail inside Canyonlands National Park. There was about 25 miles of pavement to cover, so we dressed warm and got underway. Greg set a brisk pace on the pavement and we hit 90MPH on some of the more remote straight sections of road. While my bike could keep up those speeds for short sections, it was running basically at the rev limiter while his cruised along at much more comfortable RPM's. His 650 was clearly the better bike for fast pavement riding!

Soon enough, we hit dirt and I was surprised to see that Greg didn't really slow down! Keeping up was a daunting task at first, as this was really my first dirt bike ride of this type. But, I quickly got in my groove and found that the speeds were within the bikes capabilities, and even started having a lot of fun pushing the 400 harder and harder.

It wasn't all blazing-fast straightaways however... there were lots of puddles and fresh wash-outs to avoid, which can be quite a challenge at 50+ MPH! We came across this Deusy by the salt evaporation ponds on the south side of the potash plant. It was about 100 yards long and very slick on the bottom!

1062300333_8tcAp-L.jpg

Greg valiantly offered to traverse the muck first, and then get photos of my attempt once on the other end. I think secretly he wanted to see me spill it!

1062300599_Yx43f-L.jpg

We continued on and soon passed through the park boundary. There was a sign that posted the park-wide speed limit was 15 MPH. I'm sure that is just for cars and trucks, because I know we hit 5 times that limit on dozens of occasions! Before long we came to the intersection to turn up the Shaffer Switchbacks. We had planned to head to the visitors' center and purchase permits to run the White Rim Trail, but we found the road up the switchbacks was closed. We could no longer get the permits! Looking the other direction, we found a sign saying the White Rim Trail was also closed due to rain damage and washouts. We knew this was the case beforehand, and decided to chance it and run it without permits. We figured we'd have a good excuse for not buying them in advance, since the only route to the visitors' was closed.

1062301656_5nFjn-L.jpg

We got moving again and started putting some long distances behind us, and fast! It's incredible the amount of trail you can cover on a good dirt bike... 4x4's don't even begin to compare to the speed and mobility of a motorcycle! Before long at all, we were coming across amazing views and breathtaking vistas of some of the best scenery nature has to offer. Cameras do this area no justice!

1062300766_UqY2X-L.jpg

1062303541_TB82P-L.jpg

IMG00035-20101023-1559.jpg

1062302049_Mc6Ut-L.jpg

IMG00031-20101023-1147.jpg

The temperature quickly rose as the sun burned away some of the less stubborn clouds. We began to shed our outer layers of gear and enjoy the nice, fall weather. Again, puddles would be the major obstacle of the day and there were hundreds of them! Some were crossed cautiously, some were swerved around, and some were powered through on just the rear wheel. My boots were never dry due to the almost constant splashing.

1062303130_s8ds2-L.jpg

One particular puddle didn't look like much so I just drove into it slowly to cross. But, this monster turned out to be 30" deep in the middle and it almost swallowed me whole! Greg showed real support in my perilous moment by having a hearty belly laugh at my near misfortune. Thanks to me, he knew the puddle was deep on the left, so he decided to try the other side. It didn't treat him much better, as it was deeply rutted and it almost spilled him on his side!

IMG00033-20101023-1213.jpg

Greg had his daily problem about then, which turned out to be a flat front tire. It was not a new puncture, but a plug from a previous ride that was failing due to the constant pounding we were giving it on the trail today. In only minutes, he had a new plug securely holding air and we were again on our way.

IMG00032-20101023-1148.jpg

Further up the trail we encountered a Park Ranger's vehicle and decided to take a breather and face the music for not having permits to run the trail. I was pretty jealous of her work truck... a brand new Rubicon Unlimited!

1062304649_GykeS-L.jpg

To our surprise, she didn't end up asking us about the permits and just smiled and waved to us. We did feel compelled, however, to observe the posted speed limit for the next couple of miles while we were still in her view. No need to tempt fate! It was actually kind of a nice break, and my backside was starting to get tender.

We took a lunch break at this spot at about mile 75 of our trip. It had a great view! After downing cold cans of Spaghetti-O's and peaches served with a Leatherman knife blade, we donned our gear and turned around for camp. We were both getting tired or sore and still had to do every mile over again on the way out.

1062306792_UTAex-L.jpg

1062306295_bQjFJ-L.jpg

While I felt we had pushed our speed hard on the way in, we really turned up the heat on the way out! I was really zipping across the roadway and having the time of my life on the DR-Z. It felt like racing the Baja 1000, running almost 100% speed for about 45 minutes straight. We took almost no breaks until we reached Musselman's Arch and decided to go walk across and get some photos. I had never been there before and it was quite a treat to walk across it!

1062307166_SUpzi-L.jpg

The remainder of the ride back to camp was somewhat uneventful, but the riding was no less enjoyable and the scenery was no less dazzling. We kept up the furious pace all the way to the highway. Greg may say that keeping up with me was a lot of work, but it was just as hard for me to keep up when he was leading. He can work that 650 like it's half the size of bike it is!

We ate at the Moab Diner once we returned to town. I don't know that my burger was really all that great, but I was VERY worn out and it tasted like a slice of heaven that evening! After we were finished, I got an insatiable urge to go try the Slickrock Bike Trail on my DR-Z. The sun had just gone down, but I wanted to at least try the first part of the trail to see what my Suzuki could do on some more technical terrain.

By the time I got up there the light was beginning to fade quickly, so I wasted no time getting started and putting some distance behind me. The last few bikers were finishing the trail, and all of them seemed to be giving me confused or disgusted looks as I zipped along the trail. It was like they couldn't believe I was riding a motorcycle on THEIR mountain bike trail. It seemed ironic to me, since the trail was originally made in the late 60's as a motorcycle trail, so technically they were riding on MY trail!

I was having so much fun that I just kept on riding, thinking the end must be near. But the trail just kept going and the light was failing fast. I quickly realized that I still had my prescription sunglasses on... doh! My front light was a total joke and offered almost zero illumination, and to make matters worse the rain started to really come down. I was beginning to get pretty worried about my safety and ability to find my way back out. But, I had just barely enough light to keep seeing white paint marks and just kept pressing on. Finally, I stumbled across the Hell's Revenge trail, which I know by heart, and decided to follow it back to civilization.

By the time I got back to camp, I was completely soaked and it was pitch black outside. On the way back, I couldn't even see street signs with my weak headlight. I was glad to be safely back! I changed into fresh clothes and tossed my wet gear in the dryer again to be ready for the next day's ride. Greg and I then shot the bull around the campfire for hours and finally drifted off to our beds.

Last edited:

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
All in all, we'd done a 150 mile ride together and then I had done a 20 mile solo that day. It was probably triple the amount of miles I had ever logged in the dirt in a single day, and I was incredibly sore and tired. But, what a day! As I waited for sleep to come, I could not stop wondering what the next day would bring! Day 3 to come tomorrow!

Jared

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Great write-up Jared, you really nailed it! I enjoyed the details, makes me recall the finer points of the trip... bailing into that creek crossing, around the stopped Subaru was too much fun, I'd be curious to know what they thought of that. Did you notice that they parked in that turnout and never made it past the creek? :rofl: I got soaked with that stunt, went into the crossing with more speed than I thought... :greg: ... much like most of the trip. I'm looking forward to day 3's report, I wish I would have taken more pics!

We forgot to trade bikes on the last day! Guess we'll have to plan another trip and trade then... :D It was real fun to ride that hard, all 3 days. I'd say we were really pushing it, my throttle wrist is still sore from cracking that thing open!

I hope you don't mind, but I think I'm going to split this off and make it an official ride report.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Day 3:

Getting up on day three was the most difficult - not because of the weather or knowing it would require packing up our camp, but because we were so SORE! We needed to get an early start, because it would be our last day and we had to be back in time to break camp and drive home. It would be a 275 mile trip for me, so we opted to try to be packed up on the road by 2:00 PM. This gave us about 6 hours of riding time, more or less, and we intended to make the best use of it we could!

I ate a quick breakfast of lukewarm instant cream of wheat and a banana, figuring we would not be stopping for lunch until after our ride. After downing a healthy breakfast of a Snicker's bar and a Rockstar, Greg suggested we begin at Onion Creek, which is about 20 miles upriver from Moab, and head up into the La Sals via parts of the Kokopelli trail. It was a bit chilly in the morning and the highway would be in the shade and following the river, so I layered up in warm gear and we made our way out.

This was further up the river than I had been before, and was new country and scenery for me. The towering red rock cliffs began to open up to wide valleys and scattered green conifers. The colors seemed especially bold and vivid after the recent rains. I caught myself drifting on the bike a few times as I stared long at the beauty the area had to offer.

Before I knew it we had arrived at the Onion Creek trailhead. We took off at high speed, not stopping to take photos. At first it was just a dirt road, and I was beginning to question Greg's wisdom at choosing this trail. But, it quickly traveled into a narrow canyon with repeated stream crossings. There were dozens of camp sites early on, and all were filled to the brim with anxious deer hunters. I'm sure they were thrilled to have our noisy dirt bikes hauling past their campers! The landscape was starkly different than what we had left in Moab. The hills were dirt rather than rock, and the land had a yellow-green tint to it in many places. As we passed "stinky springs", I realized it was because of the high sulfur content in the area. It's amazing that I've been to Moab for years and have never seen any of this area. What a learning experience!

The stream crossings were numerous and due to the recent heavy rain they were fairly washed out. Crossing them became fun, as I tried to get the hang of powering through them on the rear wheel to keep my boots and pants dry. I only made it about half the time, and paid for my lack of skill the rest of the day with moist feet. It was a fun road for high speed, aggressive riding, and Greg was really making the most of it. I'd really learned to enjoy riding with him and trying to keep up with the quick pace he'd set. Most folks I've ridden ATV's with get left in my dust, so it was nice to ride with someone with a similar riding style!

Greg did take the time to show me Rose Garden Hill. What a mess! I was feeling like a real pro after surviving Onion Creek at 50 MPH, so I boldly gave it a try. The hill quickly reminded me that I'm still a newbie, as I made it only about 1/10 of the way before being stopped by boulders half the size of my bike. Nothing like a slice of humble pie to keep you in check!

We continued on to Hideout Canyon, which quickly began to lead us to higher elevations. The pace slowed down just a little, as rocks, bumps, and sharp corners became commonplace. I wish we had stopped for a few photos, but we were trying to make good time. As we gained altitude the roadway smoothed out and became a perfect forest-lined race track. Sustained speeds were 60+ MPH and the trees became a beautiful blur of autumn color.

1062308312_5yDJp-L.jpg

At one point, we were on a road that was sculpted to prevent erosion by having raised bumps every 1/8 mile or so. Going 25 MPH or so, these would be very mild, but hitting them at 75 MPH one after another was a blast! It felt like screaming down a full-tilt motocross track and the DR-Z really soaked up the jumps and made for an awesome ride. By this time we had reached 9,000 altitude, I'd guess, and we were up in the aspens and conifers. It was getting pretty chilly, and I had shed my warmer layers while working my way back down Rose Garden Hill. The cold air still felt strange, as I had been enjoying summer weather only days before!

1062307818_CX57V-L.jpg

We stayed in high country for many more miles, riding endlessly toward the still-distant, snowy peaks of the La Sals. At this point, the condition of the road began to degrade, and what was once hardpack had turned to greasy, red mud. There were a few challenging spots, but our mud riding skill were quite polished by now and we made it through without trouble. Afterwards, we took a break to take in one of the stunning, autumn vistas from a high mountain draw. We could just make out the roads we had come in from in the distance. Looking at how far away they were and realizing that we had gone all the way around the mountain behind us really put the scale of the area in perspective. We had already covered a lot of ground!

1062308617_dWd3J-L.jpg

1062308855_9PANj-L.jpg

Too soon, we hit pavement again and started making our way toward Sand Flats Road to make our return to Moab. We had the majestic La Sal's in full view now and almost made it to the snow level! The fall colors in the wet landscape were striking - deep green conifers made sharp contrast to the almost fluorescent yellow of the dying aspen leaves, which were made all the more bold by the white, snowy background. The photos really do the scenery no justice at all!

1062309563_rkxa9-L.jpg

1062308978_txMvY-L.jpg

By this time, I was starting to get downright cold, so we stopped and got bundled up yet again. We were near 10,000 feet and the temps were well below the favorable weather found back in town. We quickly made our ride back to Sand Flats Road. I was grateful to be back in the dirt, having fun sliding it around the corners and goofing off. For those of you who have never driven the north end of Sand Flats, you really need to. It's a rare mix of Navajo Sandstone domes, and an evergreen forest all rolled into one scenic gem. That, and the curvy roadway made for a great time putting the bikes through their paces.

Before long, we were back into the familiar regions we all frequent - Porcupine Rim, Fins and Things, the Slickrock Bike trail, and Hell's Revenge. It really felt odd that we were back so quickly... I hadn't realized that a whole other world existed just minutes away. I didn't want it to be over yet!

After a quick lunch at Teriyaki Stix we made our way back to camp and hastily loaded up our things. The camp host had grudgingly agreed to give us a late check out and we were cutting our 2 PM deadline pretty close. We spent just a few minutes laughing about the good times we'd had and vowing to do it again before parting ways. I'm all in and can't wait for the next one! Thanks again, Greg!

Jared

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
went into the crossing with more speed than I thought... :greg: ... much like most of the trip.

That really sums up what I'll remember most about the trip... the speed of travel! I think you need to lay off the Rockstars for breakfast!

I'm already looking forward to a return trip in the spring, and possibly a trip to St. George sometime the new year.

Jared

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Great report guys. Looks like a killer time. I was actually passing through Moab at that time heading back to Arizona, the La Sals looks ominous with the snow.