Ridgid (Home Depot) X4 18V Lith Io system?

DAA

Anyone with experience using the Ridgid X4 Lith-Io 18V cordless battery system care to share an opion on it?

I need a new cordless drill. My old one is a Dewalt 18V, so I already have a couple of those batteries and a charger. But the batteries are getting tired. So I'm thinking of going all new and the price combined with warranty (liftetime on batteries!) on the Ridgid battery system stuff is VERY tempting.

Specifically, I'd be getting this combo:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...with-Radio-R9601/203810442?N=c2ecZ18gZ1z140i3

Then later, I'd like to add this impact:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-R86010B/203930523?N=c28cZ18g#specifications

Anyone use this stuff? Whatcha think?

- DAA

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
my father-in-law bought the same drill and batteries. it didn't even last a year. the batteries are totally dead.

if you want a great combo get the Milwaukee stuff. I have an impact driver. I've had it for over two years and use it all the time, especially on cars. its great. came with two batteries, that usually last me a week in hard use.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Ha...rs/Milwaukee/Cordless/N-5yc1vZc7jjZzvZ1z140i3

sixstringsteve

I'm really impressed with my milwaukee stuff too. It's more powerful than my old makita 18v. They also have built-in battery charge indicators on each battery. I like mine a lot.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Milwaukee if you are willing to spend the money. I have been very happy and impressed with my Craftsman 19.2v stuff.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
x3 for Milwaukee. Not to derail you if you like Rigid, but I have LOVED all of my Milwaukee tools. They stand up VERY well to abuse and use. I have used my impact, hammer drill, and hackzal the most, with not issues at all. 2.5 years in, my batteries are still going strong.

I am not an everyday user mind you, and I use my stuff more in the winter when I am relegated to skiing or working in my garage, but I have been very impressed with the tools. I have both 12 v tools, and 18 v tools. They are all awesome in my book.

I would even be willing to let you use / borrow them for a week if you wanted to see how they work for you. PM me if interested.

DAA

Milwaukee sounds nice! A lot more expensive than the Ridgid, which is what had me looking there in the first place. But if it's going to die in a year, even with the lifetime warranty, having to go through the hassle of stuff croaking and getting it replaced that often doesn't sound so good...

- DAA

Kssting

I have had the same Ridgid 18v set for over a year and I use the crap out of it and everything still works great. I used to have all Dewalt tools but they are slowly being replaced with the Ridgids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAA

Oh, sure, make it hard to decide why don't ya! :D

Seriously though, the price on the Ridgid, combined with the warranty, is what had me leaning that way in the first place and it is still hard to ignore.

- DAA

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
There was a thread on this about 6 months ago with great feedback. Plus you live right down the street from the folks who can build you new battery packs.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Milwaukee or blue Mikita but......
Lifetime on the batteries would be nice for some one that is not an everyday user.
Most tools I have tossed have been due to the cost of batteries. I did trash a set of gears in a Milwaukee drill once.

DAA

So... The price just dropped on this Milwaukee kit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...it-2-Tool-2691-22/100650378?N=c2ecZzvZ1z140i3

It's the same price, for the same two tools (18V Li-Io 1/2" & 1/4" driver) as the Ridgid kit I linked in my first post. Doesn't come with a radio, but I didn't want the radio anyway. Warranty not as good, but I think you guys have convinced me to go with the Milwaukee. Will only cost about $30 to add a 1/2" impact gun down the road, too.

- DAA

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have had my milwaukee set for almost 7 years, the batteries are finally starting to last only an hour or so. But that's all about I use them for anyways.

Rock Taco

I have had my Ridgid set for 6 years and one of the batteries died late last year. If I could get both for the same price I would go the MW route.

Will only cost about $30 to add a 1/2" impact gun down the road, too.

- DAA

30 bucks is a great deal. How did you figure that out. I dont see anything like that on their site.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
alot of the electrical supply shops (ews, platt) have a program where you can get $100 off on trading in your old stuff... but it ended yesterday.

I have the ridgid drill and impact and I use them on a daily basis and have not had problems with the equipment however the batteries are terrible. don't get the small ones get the bigger ones...

I started getting MW tools and seem to like them.

lime chev

That's a great kit. I really have enjoyed mine its been going strong for more that two years now. One thing that I would suggest is to pick up some "impact" bits for the driver I have shattered a few of mine but they do seem to last longer than regular tooling.

EB101

Add the Milwaukee high torque 1/2 inch impact and It'll be a long time before you stop grinning. They are amazing.