RIP Carroll Shelby

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Forget your hyper masculine Cobra 427's (everyone knows the 260 was the best handling of the Cobras) and GT500's, this was the greatest Shelby car ever:

86GLHS.jpg

Saw one of these the other day and drooled all the way home. ;)

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sad day, but (of course) inevitable. :(

We really should spell his name right, though. Carroll Shelby.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Sad indeed. While best known for the Cobra and Shelby Mustangs, I have wanted Shelby Dodges for years. The Shelby Charger of 1983 was a watershed car. And the Omni GLH and GLH Turbo lead the econobox muscle era. GLH stood for "Goes Like Hell", and then followed by the GLHS "Goes Like Hell, Some More" with more horsepower, and intercooler, then returning tomthe Charger platform. I once had a 88 Dodge Daytona Shelby. But have always wanted a Shelby CSX. The Dodge years revisited Lee Iacocca and Shelby's relationship with the legendary Shelby Mustangs, and in many ways, the both GLHS cars and the CSX cars were better. Of course not all. The Turbo Dodge cars are quite easy to make more power in. But are often overlooked because ofmtheir Omn and K car roots.

RIP Mr. Shelby. Thanks for everything!

CJ Matt

I've always loved the Cobra and many of his other cars. He is a true legend and if I ever win the lottery I will own a Shelby.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Carroll Shelby's inspiration lives on! Saw this GT cruisin up 215 today. If I had a Shelby created/inspired vehicle in my possession I'd be parading it around today too.

6576394b.jpg

Forget your hyper masculine Cobra 427's (everyone knows the 260 was the best handling of the Cobras) and GT500's, this was the greatest Shelby car ever:

86GLHS.jpg

Saw one of these the other day and drooled all the way home. ;)

There's a reason only 500 were made. Some cars suck. To be a valued collectible both rarity and desirability must be present. Just knocking.

Carroll Shelby's inspiration lives on! Saw this GT cruisin up 215 today. If I had a Shelby created/inspired vehicle in my possession I'd be parading it around today too.

6576394b.jpg

The Shelby Racing team drove the GT40's but they were built and engined by Holman-Moody of North Carolina.

Check out this photo album from my visit to HM last year:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.334637946550708.98854.199635330050971&type=3&l=25f119c265

Carroll was a self-marketing genius, great racer and a decent auto builder. He definitely left a significant impact on the American auto indus-tree. Rest in peace old man.