Colorado RME 21 Road & Billings Canyon trip - Fall 2017

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There has been some talk about another RME 21 Road & Billings Canyon trip, after I lead one earlier this year. - https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?113034-RME-Trip-to-Colorado-21-Road-and-Billings-Canyon

Figured we'd get the ball rolling and talk about dates.... I'm thinking mid-September or early October. (NPLD is Sept 30th so that weekend is out for me and so is Labor Day weekend, Sept 4th). There's a higher chance of rain and colder weather in October, so mid-September may be the better option.

Both of these trails require a minimum of 35" tires, 2 lockers, plenty of body armor and a winch. Built and trail-proven rigs are a must! 37"+ tires will make it a little easier. There is also a good chance of body damage or breakage, so come prepared knowing it's possible. 21 Road usually takes all day, Billings Canyon can be done in a half-day, IF there are no major issues. I'd be happy to lead this trip, long as I have a seat! :D

So who wants to come to Western Colorado and play on our trails?

RockChucker

I really want to. I just need to see if I can make my schedule work out. It's looking more likely to be a spring trip for me at this point :( But I will see what I can make work.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
First of October/UEA could work out good for me and the family (2 rigs), hopefully it would work for Brian and Tim too.. :)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I just double checked and it looks late, 10/19-10/20, this year, its that too late weather wise? maybe the kids will skip a day or two earlier in the month.

Conference weekend 10/7-10/8 can work for me.

Greg

Admin
I just double checked and it looks late, 10/19-10/20, this year, its that too late weather wise? maybe the kids will skip a day or two earlier in the month.

Conference weekend 10/7-10/8 can work for me.

I don't think it's too late, my only concern is rain... and it's hard to predict what the rain is going to do! 21 Road is horrible when it's wet, so much sand & mud... certain parts of the lower half of the trail become bottomless sink holes!

According to the Farmers Almanac, September and October will be cooler than normal, with above-normal precipitation. Take that for what it's worth, I've found it to be pretty accurate.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
True that with rain. Changes everything.

Bummer it lists the same for both months.

Lets see when in october works for everyone else and make a decision.

As far as people count go. I will have me, my wife and 4 kids (7 and under but have pretty good trail manners).

Pile of parts

There's a good possibility. My schedule is fairly open so I'll just watch to see when others want to go and see if I can make it work. As long as Greg doesn't mind watching me get over all the big rocks again and hung up on all the small ones. :rofl:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I completely understand if September works better, but work/life schedule keeps me from playing in September.

Maybe spring next year? :D

Greg

Admin
... Maybe spring next year? :D

I'd be willing to host a couple RME 21 Road / Billings Canyon trips per year, Spring & Fall... there have been a lot of guys interested in coming out this way. It would be fun to get anyone down here that's interested.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hey... That's what you said last year. One of these days we're going to wheel together again!

Yea... this year of wheeling has been a bit of a bust. Winter 4x4 jamboree was fun but wet, Bronco Safari was awesome, but no rubicon, 21 road, or HITR this year.

Something to look forward to! :D