RME coverage of XRRA @ Area BFE

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Today was a first for me, I attended a Rockracing event and I have to say, it's incredible to see what's possible with a 4x4! The XRRA, Area BFE and all the competitors teamed up to put on one hell of a show. The season opener was held at Area BFE, no better place for Rockracing. Located in Moab, on a private course that's setup by professionals, Area BFE has everything to offer. It was one amazing event. There was more air time than any rockcrawling competition. I really enjoyed how 2 rigs started out side-by-side at the start line & ran the course at the same time.

100_0895-1+_Medium_.JPG

For those unfamiliar with Rockracing with the XRRA, they have 2 courses. Each vehicle runs both courses one way, the they turn the rigs around & run each rig the opposite direction. The winner is based on best overall time.

Here's a little description from the XRRA web site-

XRRA Rock Racing has been described as Baja, Stock Car Racing, and Rock Crawling all rolled into one. A competitor has to stay within the confines of the course and the only judge is the stopwatch. Just straight forward timed runs. The action is fast paced and the atmosphere is all sportsmanship. Though it is a race against time, the challenge is to finish. At the end of the day, seconds make the difference. It amounts to the difference between the shift of the clutch or the finesse of the throttle. A driver's ability to make a split second decision determines the outcome. Racers/Drivers must rely on skill and picking the right line rather than simply throttling through. Drive to aggressively and you may end up cage down. The wide-open action is as much fun for the spectators as it is for the Drivers.

http://www.rockrace.com

I have a ton of pics to sort thru, but to satisfy your hunger here's a link to the XRRA event gallery, from RME.-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/gallery/v/XRRA/

Tips on using the Gallery: Select 'View Slideshow' on the left side of the page, then increase the 'Max Size' and change the 'Time Delay' to load the pics faster

Official Results

1st - Shannon Campbell 9:04:74 $4,000

2nd - Nate Williams 9:48:06 $2,200

3rd - Weston Blackie 10:00:37 $1,200

4th - Bryce Rogers 10:05:85 $500

5th - Jason Berger 10:37:18 $250

The winner of the Jump Off was Robert Lucero in the Mini Cooper buggy. On the landing he destroyed the front end. :eek:

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Here's some of my favorite pics-

The new RME banner, right at the entrance to Area BFE!

100_0954+_Medium_.JPG

The White Knight, seconds before breaking the left knuckle! :eek:

100_0919+_Medium_.JPG

The guys from Mt Logan Offroad, tearing up the course.

100_0926+_Medium_.JPG

Craig Stump, running that turbo 4 Cyl at the rev limiter.

100_0948+_Medium_.JPG

Driving out of a roll.

100_0960+_Medium_.JPG

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Greg said:
The winner of the Jump Off was Robert Lucero in the Tube Shark buggy. On the landing he destroyed the front end. :eek: [/B]

I think you're right about Robert Lucero, but he was driving the blue Mini Cooper buggy, not the Tubeshark one. He broke a Crane knuckle. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg

Admin
Ohh, that's right. They both were getting way too much air on the jump. Crane knuckles break?? I guess when you're getting 6-7 feet of air... :eek::eek: :freak:

Last edited:

Parker

Wow, great write up/pictures... I don't think I know how to jump like that, fear of heights.

Nice collection of pics you have there Mr. Milner.

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Parker said:
Wow, great write up/pictures... I don't think I know how to jump like that, fear of heights.

Nice collection of pics you have there Mr. Milner.

Damm you are alive....where the hell have you been!!
Give me a call sometime....BTW I have a ton of shoots of you from UROC if you want them.

V-DAWG

someday
Does anyone have a list of the results past 5th place? I took off early to check out Potato Salad Hill. I guess I missed the jump off also :mad:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
V-DAWG said:
Does anyone have a list of the results past 5th place? I took off early to check out Potato Salad Hill. I guess I missed the jump off also :mad:

There's a complete "scorecard" on the Off-road.com coverage. I think Creighton and I finished 18th. My fault, each time I drove we ended up on our side. :rolleyes:

jtcustoms

pics

Greg
JT Taylor here form team TubeShark. Thanks for posting that jump pic!!! Great shot, it is my new screen saver and I sent it out to my sponsors!! Great write up too!!! I hope to see you Utah boys at the springs race. Im having a pre party on the Thursday before the race at my place and you guys are definatly invited!!
JT

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hey, check out the video at Jimmys4x4.com It has a shot of Creighton's awesome roll-save!

Greg

Admin
jtcustoms said:
Greg
JT Taylor here form team TubeShark. Thanks for posting that jump pic!!! Great shot, it is my new screen saver and I sent it out to my sponsors!! Great write up too!!! I hope to see you Utah boys at the springs race. Im having a pre party on the Thursday before the race at my place and you guys are definatly invited!!
JT

You did all the work! :greg:

If you want a full resolution pic, PM me with your email address. Those shots look way sharper. :cool:

I want to make it to the Springs event, I'll have to see if my work schedule allows it.