RME Newb from Texas

Machine

What's up guys and gals?

Found your lil corner of the internet the other day. I've been looking for a wheeling forum in Utah for a couple of months now. I'm partial to Jeeps...but multiple 4x4's is ok too ;)

Right now I'm in Dallas, Texas but by the end of May I'll be in Springville, UT. Here in Dallas, there are several 1 man shops to get custom work done and several larger, many man shops (including 3 Four Wheel Parts stores <puke>). Being new to Utah, I won't know where anything is....soooo are there any 4x4 shops, parts stores, and custom shops near Springville/Provo, or do I need to drive up to Salt Lake? Also, any good fabricating tools/other tools stores in the area?

My ride is a 97 Wrangler sport.

short list of mods so far...

1 inch body lift
1 inch motor lift
3 inch suspension lift
soft locker in front axle

very short I know :D

It's got about 95,000 miles on it and has never been "In the shop" for anything (with the exception of removing the tranny for a rebuild). I've done all the work myself or with the help of fellow Jeepers. List includes clutch replacement, water pump replacement, oil pump replacement, rear main seal replacement, oil pan gasket replacement, rear axle replacement, motor lift, body lift, suspension lift, locker install, radiator replacement, and a few other things.

Right now I've got a Ford 9" from a 79 F150 and a front Dana 44 from a 78 bronco in my garage. I'll be bringing them with me to Utah and installing them sometime soon. Some fellow Texans plan on going to Moab in July, so I need to be ready by then. I'll be needing a RE rear axle bracket kit for the 9" and since the bronco axle uses radius arms and not control arms, I'll be fabbing up a way to mount them to the frame. The most obvious way would be some angle iron on the frame to accept the threaded ends of the radius arm, but I'm thinking about finding some old aftermarket control arms and cutting the ends off, then attaching those ends to the end of the radius arms and then attaching the control arm ends to the frame. Wow, what a run on, hehe. Using control arm ends on the ends of the radius arms would allow for greater flexablity (allowing the arms to move up and down, since the stock way to set them up calls for inserting the threaded end through a hole with a nut on the other side...not very flexible)

Anyway...here's a pic of it
17063909.jpg

Any info on places for parts (other than 4 wheel parts) would be great!

Thanks!

Trent

Caleb

welcome and there is an awesome shop down in the Provo/Orem area called Rocky Mountain High...also there is six states down there that is always on the good list...up in SLC area I would either get with SukaB(Brandon) form this board, he runs Anarchy Offroad or ILean(Carl) or Vonski form this board, they run Rocklogic4x4 ( www.rocklogic4x4.com ) they are both honest shops and wont lead you astray:D...

BTW what brings you to Utah...is it work?? If so, what do you do???

It looks like you know how to have some fun in your Jeep;)

Machine

Originally posted by brian
.....damn........aimt afraid to launch that thing huh.!!!!!!!:D

I'm not skeered...hehe ...I did it twice

actually it was an accident, lol

I was only going about 15-20 mph when I hit it the 1st time, to my surprise...I went airborne!

I gave my camera to a friend and told him I was gonna do it again. 2nd time I hit it around 25mph or so, I was still going up when that pic was taken! Zero carnage from the 2 jumps...with the exception of a tweaked D30 axle tube...now there's a slight camber problem, hehe... just gotta get that D44 on there now.

Machine

Originally posted by supergper
welcome and there is an awesome shop down in the Provo/Orem area called Rocky Mountain High...also there is six states down there that is always on the good list...up in SLC area I would either get with SukaB(Brandon) form this board, he runs Anarchy Offroad or ILean(Carl) or Vonski form this board, they run Rocklogic4x4 ( www.rocklogic4x4.com ) they are both honest shops and wont lead you astray:D...

BTW what brings you to Utah...is it work?? If so, what do you do???

It looks like you know how to have some fun in your Jeep;)

Thanks for the info!

Well long story.... My grandmother lives in Springville alone. I live in Dallas alone. My father passed away about a year ago and my mother asked me if her and my sister could move in with me as she wanted to sell their house and decide what to do. I said yes and so they live here with me at the moment. My mother suggested one day that she and my sister would move to Utah and live with my grandmother. I work as a restaurant manager for a popular, high volume steak house. The job calls for 50-60 hour work weeks, longgggg days. It's not allowing me to enjoy wheeling and other hobbies. Sooooo, for the past couple of months I've been thinking about leaving them, after working there for 6 years. My mother suggested that I go with them to Utah. At first I was like...noooo way! but the thought of no rent, no mortgage payment, no utility bills, etc changed my mind. Now I've got a property management group lined up to lease out my house and let someone else pay it off :D So now I guess I'll be living at my grandmothers for a little while until I decide otherwise. Since I won't have as many bills it means a lot more $$$ to go into the Jeep and I think I'm gonna go back to school too. Anyways...thats about it...sorry it's so long, lol

PS...anyone hiring? hehe

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Originally posted by Machine

At first I was like...noooo way! but the thought of no rent, no mortgage payment, no utility bills, etc changed my mind.

not to mention you are several hours closer to Moab ;)

Hey, it don't matter if your mods are a little on the skimpy side, I drive a near stock zuk right now, but anybody who gets all four off the ground is ok in my book.

Machine

Originally posted by Wanker Delux

not to mention you are several hours closer to Moab ;)

oh yeah! that too was a deciding factor in moving! :D
my Texas jeepers will all be jealous :D :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Cool, welcome to RME! Keep us up to date when you do move up and we'll get you broken in to the Utah Wheelin scene!

BTW, nice AIR! :eek:

sukaB

Banned
I'm slow
Welcome playa, you'll fit in just fine around here..........
That thing just needs bigger bump stops or coilovers...
heheheheh way nice

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by Machine
PS...anyone hiring? hehe

Nope, but when you move here you can hook up with some other guys on the board and start a RME unemployement club.;) ;)

sukaB

Banned
No kidin
Screw monster or those other sites employers should look here: half the typers are unemployed....:D