RME Weight loss Challenge

Kramnden

That's what I want to do as soon as lose 10-15lbs. However, I go back and forth all the time, so I never know what I am doing. I think I have enough (or little) fat that if I get a bit more muscle, I won't look too bad. Plus it's winter so no real reason to be super slim.

I've love to be ~220 and maybe 10% BF or so.

If you mix cardio in with weight training you'll get your desired build. Its easier to convert fat into muscle than to lose 10-15 and then try to build it back. That's the problem I have now. After losing my weight I am now trying to build muscle out of nothing.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I just picked up some Nitrean.. I'll report back in about a week ;)

Been drinking the Nitrean now for abpout a week - good stuff! I bought the 'small' vanilla and I've been mixing it with whole milk. I've found that if I take it in the afternoon (3-4), I have trouble sleeping at night. I believe it's the Nitrean causing it.. Because if I drink it in the morning after getting up, I have no problems at night. Good stuff. Next order I'll get one of each of the larger ones and use that 10% discount they give for your second order.:D

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
If you mix cardio in with weight training you'll get your desired build. Its easier to convert fat into muscle than to lose 10-15 and then try to build it back. That's the problem I have now. After losing my weight I am now trying to build muscle out of nothing.

This statement is factually incorrect and is the biggest load of dog **** spewed in the industry. You can not convert fat into muscle. Its like asking a slice of cheesecake to turn into a T-Bone if you use Splenda instead of sugar.:rofl:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt2.htm

Alright... go ahead... laugh it up. I'll laugh right along with you. For those of you who may not have realized it yet, it is 100% impossible to turn fat into muscle. Actually, the idea of turning fat into muscle is so idiotic that it is very likely to cause people to laugh right in your face if you ask them about it. You shouldn't feel too bad about it though, because like I said earlier, I was just like you. Really... I was.

The anabolic diet needs to be high in calories. Here is two quick answers as to how muscles grow:

The process of muscle growth is not known for sure, but most theories are based on the idea that lifting breaks down the muscle, and growth results from over-compensating to protect the body from future stress. The human body breaks down and rebuilds all of the muscles every 15 to 30 days. Lifting speeds up the process due to an increased need for fuel. Rebuilding peaks 24 to 36 hours after training and continues at increased rates for as much as 72 hours.

The muscle hypoxia theory is that weight training decreases muscle oxygen content, and that triggers protein synthesis. It came from the fact that lifting loads over 60% of maximum temporarily cuts off blood flow. Restricting blood flow with a tourniquet does not result in muscle growth, and pearl divers are not overly muscular, so the muscle hypoxia theory can be thrown out. Another theory is that training increases blood flow and the increased nutrient supply is responsible for growth.

Muscle growth comes about because of hypertrophy or hyperplasia.

Hypertrophy is an increase in the size of the muscle due to an increase in the size of the muscle fibers (size of cells), while hyperplasia is an increase in the number of muscle fibers (cell division).

Hypertrophy comes in two forms, sarcomere hypertrophy, an increase in the size of the contractile portion of the muscle; and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, an increase in the non-contractile portion of the muscle.

Sarcomere hypertrophy involves a smaller increase in the diameter of the muscle, but muscle density increases. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy shows an increase in muscle diameter and a decrease in density. All hypertrophy will involve both processes; the ratio is dependent on training intensity and frequency.

Heavy training on a regular basis will make you feel solid whereas someone who trains for the pump with light weights will feel soft. If you are interested in improving performance, than strive for sarcomere hypertrophy. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is only beneficial if an increase in body weight is more important than an improvement in performance.

More here:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa7.htm

People, please look at this like you do your Rock Crawling habit. You cant convert your D30 into a Dynatrac Pro Rock Dana 60 by simpley changing the quality of lube you put in to it. If someone told you this, wouldnt you look into it further? The information is out there and if you are serious about weight loss or gaining lean mass I challenge you to look for it. However keep in mind you can not "Build lean mass" and "Lose significant fat" by going on a diet.

(Not pointing the finger at you Kramnden, I am just saying this as a whole).

Last edited:

Kramnden

This statement is factually incorrect and is the biggest load of dog **** spewed in the industry. You can not convert fat into muscle. Its like asking a slice of cheesecake to turn into a T-Bone if you use Splenda instead of sugar.:rofl:

People, please look at this like you do your Rock Crawling habit. You cant convert your D30 into a Dynatrac Pro Rock Dana 60 by simpley changing the quality of lube you put in to it. If someone told you this, wouldnt you look into it further? The information is out there and if you are serious about weight loss or gaining lean mass I challenge you to look for it. However keep in mind you can not "Build lean mass" and "Lose significant fat" by going on a diet.

(Not pointing the finger at you Kramnden, I am just saying this as a whole).

Point made. After reading the article you posted and relentlessly trying to prove the myth I presented, I found that I was sadly misguided. I was presented with the "Fat to Muscle" myth by a personal trainer and took it as gospel. My bad Beerman.

As for building lean mass and losing significant fat by dieting, you're wrong. Dieting is most often key to both. A diet doesn't simply mean you starve yourself. A diet is the food you consume. To build muscle mass and lose fat at the same time is, more or less, impossible. This is why bodybuilders go through a bulking phase and a cutting phase. Your eating habits will affect your success no matter what your goal.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Point made. After reading the article you posted and relentlessly trying to prove the myth I presented, I found that I was sadly misguided. I was presented with the "Fat to Muscle" myth by a personal trainer and took it as gospel. My bad Beerman.

As for building lean mass and losing significant fat by dieting, you're wrong. Dieting is most often key to both. A diet doesn't simply mean you starve yourself. A diet is the food you consume. To build muscle mass and lose fat at the same time is, more or less, impossible. This is why bodybuilders go through a bulking phase and a cutting phase. Your eating habits will affect your success no matter what your goal.

First thing, its all good. The belief that fat converts into muscle is a selling point on the boxes of food all across America and on magazines, and in the gym. Lots of people believe it, even though it isnt true. Just like doing "situps targets fat loss in your tummy". You cant at all target fat loss and this has been proven over and over again but some trainers still tell people this.

Secondly: I think you read me wrong. I NEVER said you can build lean mass and lose significant fat at the same time. I said the exact opposite. In fact I said "Anabolic diets are high in calories". The links I posted should have also advised eating above your caloric maintenance in order to achieve lean mass gains. You may have misunderstood me. Here is another article in case the others werent clear:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean14.htm

As far as "starving yourself to lose weight", again I NEVER said this. Check my blog, check all of my posts, and check my clients and friends who I have helped lose weight. I have NEVER advised starving yourself.

So please, I am not starting drama I just said that you can not turn fat into muscle and if you got embarrassed because I said you were factually wrong then I apologize but you were and I had to point that out so that misinformation doesnt keep spreading like cancer.

Last edited:

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Drama, please exit the thread using the door on the left........

I dont think there is drama. He did say in his first reply that he was misinformed. He was, and many people like him are. I squashed that myth and that should be behind us.

The second thing he said though worries me. I hope he re-reads his reply and edits it or comes back with something from somewhere that stated i made those claims. I re-read my post and I honestly cant see anywhere that could confuse anyone about growing lean mass, etc. The links were all good for me too. Everything I posted has a reference or a back up from a reliable source. If someone can prove what I say is wrong then I will gladly change my opinion. Until then read the links and keep on learning. No one has all the answers and staying on top of your health should be a life long goal!

Kramnden

Secondly: I think you read me wrong. I NEVER said you can build lean mass and lose significant fat at the same time. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean14.htm

As far as "starving yourself to lose weight", again I NEVER said this. Check my blog, check all of my posts, and check my clients and friends who I have helped lose weight. I have NEVER advised starving yourself.

So please, I am not starting drama I just said that you can not turn fat into muscle and if you got embarrassed because I said you were factually wrong then I apologize but you were and I had to point that out so that misinformation doesnt keep spreading like cancer.[/quote]

Look man, I never said you said you can gain lean mass and lose significant weight at the same time. What you said was: "However keep in mind you can not "Build lean mass" and "Lose significant fat" by going on a diet." All I did from here was present the argument that dieting can play a significant role in both bulking and cutting. I further assumed that you thought when I used the word "diet", you thought I meant starving yourself and so I clarified.

You have nothing to apologize for. I was wrong and you corrected me. This is the point of the thread, to throw out ideas on how to lose weight, or in my case gain it. The fact that you contradicted my post is nothing for me to get embarrassed over, but to research it and learn from it.

I agree with Brett. Lets cut the drama and move on with what this thread was originally intended for. If you have any more concerns with what I've posted PM me and I'll do my best to clarify further.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think the point both of you are arguing from opposite sides is that dieting and exercise must both be present to achieve results.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I think we fundamentally agree on the subjects but there is loss of meaning in text over the www.

I did use the term "Diet" lightly when I should have elaborated what I meant by "Diet". I often refer to dieting as a caloric restriction, and you can not sufficiently bulk lean mass on a caloric deficit. When I am talking about gaining lean mass I often refer to it as "Bulking". In order to properly gain lean mass you (more than likely) have to eat above your caloric maintenance in order to stimulate hypertrophy and provide macro-nutrient bioavailability for repair and growth through cell division, etc. Or in other words: If you overeat without the need your body will typically store the excess calories as fat. If your body is in a constant state of repair (Typically from lifting heavy weight at the gym) or in a state of anabolism (Creation of lean mass) then it takes most of the excess calories and uses them for repair, growth, amino acid displacement and glycogen replenishment. There is more to it but that is the cliffs notes version.

(Now I say "most of the time" because some people are gifted genetically or have a mesomorphic body comp that enables them to gain lean mass eating top ramen! I hate those people and their perfect bodies who get to eat and drink what they want without fear of being a fat ass)

ALWAYS keep i mind that this may be the science of it, but the human body is complex and whats works for 10000000 may not work for 50. You have to pay attention to your body in both a cut or a bulk and give or take the proper foods/nutrients accordingly.

Back to your regularly scheduled episode.

Last edited:

EROK81?

Sell out
ALWAYS keep i mind that this may be the science of it, but the human body is complex and whats works for 10000000 may not work for 50. You have to pay attention to your body in both a cut or a bulk and give or take the proper foods/nutrients accordingly.

If anyone is going to get anything out of this, it should be that paragraph right there. Listen to your own body and react accordingly. This applies to both fat loss and muscle gain.

I spent the last year and a half doing other people's routines, other people's diet and made some progress, but not much. Granted it was a good way to learn the basics, so I guess that was a plus.

Now that I've made my own routine based on exercises I like and ones that seem to make the most improvements, I've seen more of a change over the last few months than the last year and a half.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Now as far as bulking is concerned. From what I read and hear from professional body builders is this:

You have to eat enough to stimulate growth.

You have to lift maximum weight to maximum reps using proper form and technique.

You have to rest and let your body repair.

Repeat.

This is Ronnie Coleman's advise. Many others are the same with the exception of a few micro details.

A "Clean bulk" means using whole foods to provide the abundance of calories. Lots of lean animal flesh, clean carbs like brown rice, sweet potatos, and whole grain breads, etc. Lots of water, and only clean supplements like protein shakes, and creatine. Some body builders drink milk but many do not.

A "Common Bulk" or "Dirty Bulk" is the type of bodybuilder that just eats anything and everything as long as it has protein and carbs. For them the importance is the amount of calories they consume not necesarily how "clean" they are.

There are lots of people that go to the gym, lift heavy ass weights, then drink a weight gainer shake to wash down 4 Whoppers. Imagine doing this everyday and only gaining 2 pounds a month. I would gain 2 pounds a day if I ate like that!

Either choice is fine as long you pay attention to your body. If I was doing a dirty bulk i would have my blood tested more often to check for cholesterol and other signs before it becomes a problem.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
If anyone is going to get anything out of this, it should be that paragraph right there. Listen to your own body and react accordingly. This applies to both fat loss and muscle gain.

I spent the last year and a half doing other people's routines, other people's diet and made some progress, but not much. Granted it was a good way to learn the basics, so I guess that was a plus.

Now that I've made my own routine based on exercises I like and ones that seem to make the most improvements, I've seen more of a change over the last few months than the last year and a half.

BINGO! I am the same way. I dont practice everything I preach because it would be ignorant to assume that what worked for me is going to work well for everyone. I simply give guidelines and fundamentals and you take what works.

One example that always comes to mind is the bench press. That and the bicep curl are the two most common types of strength training exercises. I NEVER do the bench press because I dont think it works for me. I prefer to do DB presses because I feel that it uses more small fibers to balance two separate apparatuses while moving from your chest to extension than it does to push a single bar. I cant lift the same amount of weight doing this, but in the long run I think my chest and triceps will have better growth, but again that is just my opinion and I feel it works for me.

I am glad you pointed that out because if anyone ever remembers any advise I ever post I would want them to remember that. Thank you!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
you know whats funny. I ate one of those healthy choice steamer things that are pretty low cal, and then some tuna. Then I snacked on a handful of chips and felt guilty. The chips were probably 75 calories at best. THEN, I went and had 4-5 beers and didn't think anything about it lol.

I bet I would cut 3000-5000 colories per week if beer wasn't so good. that has to be worth a couple pounds a month.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Well....it depends on who you talk to.

Here is the "numbers" behind it. Take it for what it is worth.

A pound of fat has 3500 calories in it.

Beer has no fat

In order for the beer you are drinking to be stored as fat there has to be an overabundance of carbs (sugar) that the body stores as fat since it wasnt burned off as fuel.

In order to gain a pound of fat from drinking beer alone you would have to have roughly 875 grams of carbs above and beyond your daily carb and caloric needs. 875 carbs is a shitload! At 200 calories a beer, thats 17.5 beers! So if you drank a case of beer on top of eating your daily caloric needs you would gain 2 pounds of fat a week. (Give or take)

1 carb = 4 calories
3500/4= 875

That being said it isnt the beer that makes most people gain weight....its the family nacho with all the works, the 3 Carne Asada Burritos, the cheetos, and all the other foods that people indulge in when they drink.:rofl:

What I did leave out is that 1 gram of alcohol is 7 calories. I have no idea how many grams are in a pitcher of Guinness but you get the idea.

Like I said though take it for what its worth! Its all numbers......

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Whew I made it. All it took was a couple of days in Moab running around spotting people. I'm at 176.5 now.

I'm in for the push-up challenge:) I can do 75 now and I only do them once or twice a week.

that's what you get from stacking rocks for all the XJ'ers :rofl:

I'm up 4-5 pounds in 1 months time. Same body fat %
prepping for and playing in Moab threw me off so I haven't been to the gym for a week :( and I miss it.
haven't had any soda, french fries and only maybe 3 burgers, and no caffeinated drinks... (even sobe's :()

I tried some tater tots with my chicken wrap yesterday and they tasted super greasy so I threw them out... I guess eating good changes your tastes?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I tried some tater tots with my chicken wrap yesterday and they tasted super greasy so I threw them out... I guess eating good changes your tastes?

oh absolutely! whenever I eat fried foods--french fries, tater tots, etc etc my skin just feels oily and my stomach doesn't feel right.