RME Winter trip to the San Rafael Swell

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
You can do quite a lot with that kind of truck in the Swell. The very end of this trip is about the only part you would want to avoid (it was a narrow shelf road).

If you have a free day, drive down to I-70 and take the Temple Mtn Road exit (134?) and drive north on Buckhorn Wash Rd to Huntington. That's a great introduction to the Swell, and it does not get any easier.

Thanks for the direction. I can do reasonably difficult stuff in the truck - for example we did Klondike Bluffs all the way into the park last fall including the nasty tight drop into the sandy valley at the end. I was not comfortable doing it, and scraped the skidplates a bunch of times. So, a little easier than that would be good. The big weakness is the breakover angle due to the wheelbase, and the turning radius. 130"+ wheelbase on stock height is a challenge for sure. My concern is, I'm likely to get bored if the trails are too easy. Driving some challenging obstacles is a big part of the fun for me, but it's also not a truck I can scrape up either.

Is the width of the shelf road the real challenge? Full size width and long wheelbase isn't ideal for narrow trails with sharp turns.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is the width of the shelf road the real challenge? Full size width and long wheelbase isn't ideal for narrow trails with sharp turns.

In my video above, you can see how close to the edge I had to get in my Jeep. I definitely wouldn't want to take anything wider through that portion. That specific portion was the Eagle Canyon trail. It begins at Swaysey Cabin. You could make it to the cabin without any problems though.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Any idea on when this trip might be? I've never been to the swell. If a crew cab/short bed 2012 F150 can make it (rear locker, BFG AT's) can make it without damage, I get free gas.

Jared

I was wanting to make another trip after a big snow storm... but I think our chance of that happening this Winter is very slim.

Like Jeremy said, if you haven't been before you owe it to yourself to go explore the area and check it out.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I wondered if anyone could tell me what the expected run time would be for eagle canyon in spring/summer. Essentially this route.
We came in from the Swaysey cabin side on this trip, but turned back once we reached the bridges. That's the only part of the trail I've seen.

I would estimate less than an hour from the cabin to the bridges, including stopping at the Arch for pictures.

Udink

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I wondered if anyone could tell me what the expected run time would be for eagle canyon in spring/summer. Essentially this route.
I just did that route on Friday in my WJ. Took under 1.5 hours driving time from Swasey's Cabin, through Eagle Canyon, and back to I-70 near the UDOT shed at Secret Mesa. No major issues on the trail. The most difficult part is the 1.5-mile climb out of Eagle Canyon to Secret Mesa, it has a few ledges and off-camber parts, but was no big deal for the WJ. I ran the entire rest of the route in 2-high.

IMG_20170421_161109_563.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Did you do any other trials right in that area? What are names of other trails right there? I think there is one that starts at the cabin but heads towards the dirty devil.

DAA

Once you get up to Secret Mesa, you can take Eva Conover from there to south fork Coal Wash, very scenic - very! Great route to get headed home from Swaseys.

- DAA