RMZ 450 - possibly overheating??

Moabxjeeper

Howdy folks!

I've got a 2007 RMZ-450 and just had some carb work done on it (carb cleaned, replaced/adjusted a couple jets). When I took it home from the shop, I let it run for a couple minutes to make sure everything was okay. It started right up and idled just fine, but seemed like it was running a little warmer than normal.

I shut it off to look at something and realized there was coolant spilling out of the overflow. This hasn't ever happened on my bike, or at least I've never noticed it before. Also, the header was glowing red hot, which is something else I've never seen my bike do.

I inspected my bike a little further and realized there was an electrical connector just above the kickstart that the shop hadn't put back together so I got that taken care of. Also, the plastic radiator guard was never put back into place by the shop, not that I think that's part of the issue, just kind of annoying..

Now, I haven't actually been out riding since I got it back because of the weather. I guess my question is, is there an actual problem here or am I just overreacting? I know 450's run super hot anyway but I'm just getting back into riding after a loooot of years and all this is brand new to me.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Glowing headers are quite common. It is caused by the jetting being too lean and it's usually the pilot circuit. It is possible the shop did not re-adjust your fuel screw when they reassembled the carb. The fuel screw is a needle jet that sits vertically in the front/center/bottom area of the carb that meters the fuel from the pilot jet. Try turning this screw in (clockwise) all the way counting the turns. Note: It is only efficient between 1 to 3 turns out (in= leaner out=richer). Depending on how many turns out it is right now you may be able to richen the jetting a bit and hopefully solve the issue.

Lean jetting will also cause overheating. My money is on either the fuel screw not being adjusted properly, someone changed the pilot jet for whatever reason or the carb isn't cleaned out completely.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If I let my 450 idle for a few minutes the head pipe gets extremely hot too. The puking coolant is a little odd. They may have put too lean jets in it if it's running that hot. It's also possible that some debris didn't get cleaned out all the way and is not blocking off a jet. I'd pull the carb and check all the jets. Its not fun but it's better than a toasted motor.

Too Slow on the response. Rotbox beat me to it.

Moabxjeeper

Thanks for the quick responses.

I was afraid of something like that. I've never dug into a carb myself before which is why I took it to the shop in the first place. Makes sense, but I'm kind of mad that I had to pay $105 to just have to get back into it again.

Live and learn..

rholbrook

A hot pipe while idling isn't that uncommon. One thing to remember is the colder temperature will make it run leaner which will make it run hotter when you are idling. You can increase your pilot jet or probably get away with adjusting your air screw.

Moabxjeeper

Good info, I hadn't thought about how temperature may be affecting it. I picked it up from the shop on Friday when it was around 40 degrees and I'm normally riding it in 80-90+ degree weather. I do track only when I ride so I won't really be riding until the spring when it warms up again. Maybe it's fine??

Tonkaman

I would actually hit some dirt and see how it does. These bikes really don't like to sit still and idle without over heating. Just be sure to ride close to the truck until you know its safe

Moabxjeeper

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'm thinking my bike is probably alright. I hadn't thought about that but 40-50 degrees definitely makes a ton of difference on your jetting.

I'm not going to worry about it until late spring when the temperature/weather are optimal for riding again, and hopefully that takes care of it. Like you said Tonkaman, getting on the dirt again is going to be the only true way to test it out. I'll be sure to not stray too far for the first few rides.

Moabxjeeper

Update: The weather was awesome yesterday so me and the old man decided to get out and hit the track for probably the last time this year. Glad we went, too! It turned out to be probably the best day for riding this whole year. Weather was awesome, tracks were in great shape, what more can you ask for?

As far as the bike goes, it couldn't have run better. That's the most power I've ever felt out of my bike since I bought it. It had plenty of power before, but I don't remember ever pulling wheelies in 4th gear like I was able to yesterday. Also, there was no glowing red pipe or coolant spilling out. As far as I can tell, she's good to go!

Thanks everyone for your input!

20131130_144604_3_bestshot-1.jpg

Attachments

• swag.jpg
    swag.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 8

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
4 stroke 450's get hot if you idle them very long, and the suzukis seem to run hotter anyway. if all your carb settings are good, id imagine your good.