Road Rules: Doors off for Summer?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
What's the word on going door-less for Summer? I'd like to shed the doors on the '84 but would like to stay legal.

Are tube doors legal? If so, what constitutes tube-doors?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
just take the doors off... have never been stopped for having the doors off..
BUT now they can see your not wearing a seatbelt so you will have to have it one for sure all the time...

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I had HP try to ticket me for not having doors. But the only thing he could find to write me up for was not having a drivers side mirror (it was on the door). There is no statute stating that you have to have doors. But if the vehicle is newer than the 60's you do have to have a drivers side mirror.

Johnny4X4

The very best way for you guys to do this is to remove the hinge and drill out the center pivot pin and replace it with a bolt.

that way if you do get "bothered" or finds he some way to give you a fix it ticket, you can always quickly install the door back on with one bolt.

and if done right, an aftermarket mirror will bolt thru the same pivot hole so you dont have to drill your windsheild post.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've been told by UHP(got stopped ALL the time in the '85 with the SSR's) that the doors can only be legally removed on vehicles that intended them to come off from the factory, resulting in a 'lip' at the door jamb to keep crap from rolling out. Sounds plausible, but could be one of those interpretations of the guidelines... I never did get ticketed for no doors in the Samurai, or the 4runner. I did however get harrassed that my d-side mirror was too small(i used a 2" stick-on blind spot mirror, sticking out from my tube doors). The UHP said that the mirror has to be no smaller than 4"s in diameter.

Anyways, that's all i know about it... I say run with no doors, or better yet take some time to make some good looking half doors.. way cooler than tube doors IMO.

-Jason

Caleb

I've been told by UHP(got stopped ALL the time in the '85 with the SSR's) that the doors can only be legally removed on vehicles that intended them to come off from the factory, resulting in a 'lip' at the door jamb to keep crap from rolling out. Sounds plausible, but could be one of those interpretations of the guidelines... I never did get ticketed for no doors in the Samurai, or the 4runner. I did however get harrassed that my d-side mirror was too small(i used a 2" stick-on blind spot mirror, sticking out from my tube doors). The UHP said that the mirror has to be no smaller than 4"s in diameter.

Anyways, that's all i know about it... I say run with no doors, or better yet take some time to make some good looking half doors.. way cooler than tube doors IMO.

-Jason
This is what I've always been told. I have gotten a ticket for no mirrors in my YJ with the doors off. The no mirrors will get you pulled over so make sure you have some type of mirrors and I doubt you'll get harassed too much. (Unless you spend much time in West Valley, they'll hassle you for anything and everything.)

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
doors off

Ive gotten stopped for no doors on my 72 blazer. I was told by the uhp that
the doors on most vehicles are part of the sub structure and need to be in
place. I didnt get a ticket but was told that if he saw me again that he would wright me up. That was in Davis county;). those guys are the only ones that harrass me with my sub on 40's. 2 yrs ago going to the Chache Valley cruise in logan i got tickets going and coming through Davis county. It just depends on the cop.

Dwayne

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
It is much easier to run with out doors on a Jeep YJ or TJ because they have always been driven that way (since WWII) so everyone expects it. Like it has been said above, you must have a drivers side mirror if the vehicle originally came with one. My sister in-law is a Davis County Sherrif and she said it is the mirror or lack of mud flaps that will trigger getting pulled over. I use take off / stock Harley mirrors. They fit in the door hinge (Jeep) or hinge pin hole (most others) and you can usually get them free from some with a Harley, they almost always up grade the mirrors or buy them for $15 from the dealer.

Last edited:

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I got pulled over but it was because I had no diriver side mirror. I relocated my mirror and have had no problem since then. But it was on a Jeep and you see tons around with no doors on.

crazyyo

there is some dumb law about a lip it should be up four inchs from your floor like in a jeep so make some half doors throw a mirror on them and you will be set

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
It is much easier to run with out doors on a Jeep YJ or TJ because they have always been driven that way (since WWII) so everyone expects it.

Because people expect it? Wrong... It's because Jeeps come from the factory to have doors removed.

there is some dumb law about a lip it should be up four inchs from your floor like in a jeep so make some half doors throw a mirror on them and you will be set

Exactly. When a cop was looking over my Samurai with no doors, he commented on the lip that the Samurai had. Also when I was pulled over in my 4runner w/ no doors, they'd commented on the lack of a lip, but gave me a verbal warning..

Last edited:

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
I don't know about up there, but I ran my comanche with no doors all of last summer and fall. If you have a drivers side mirror, you should be fine. I drove by cops all the time and never once got pulled over.