Road Trip Camp Recommendations

Gawynz

My wife and I need to go to Pilot Hill CA in a couple weeks to pick something up, I figured this would be a great excuse to use the truck bed camper for the first time. Below is what I'm thinking; day 1 get to Reno, day 2 go to Pilot Hill and then to Elko, day 3 and shorter drive back home. Does anyone have any recommendations on spots to camp near (within 50mi) these points? Prefer not to be too far off our route and free is good but not required (not including Walmart parking lots). Thanks all.

1711380105865.png

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've gone north from Pilot around Lake Almanor, but not south. I'm sure there are a LOT of cool places in that area to camp. Maybe just jump on google earth and start poking around?
South of Elko you have the Ruby mountains which are cool. North you have Bishop Springs warm springs. Not pristine camping nearby, but we've camped right at the springs before and it's pretty nice.

Corban_White

Consider taking Highway 50 coming back. It is a slower road, but it’s far more interesting and easier to find great camp sites.
This. Hwy 50 is awesome. I'd love to spend a couple of days traveling it. It's amazing to drive all the way across Nevada and only see a handful of cars on the road. We went over an hour sometimes without seeing another car.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
This. Hwy 50 is awesome. I'd love to spend a couple of days traveling it. It's amazing to drive all the way across Nevada and only see a handful of cars on the road. We went over an hour sometimes without seeing another car.
When I traveled Hwy 50 in June of ‘21 I stopped to take a photo at the Utah border where the sign said Loneliest highway. I think 50 cars drove by.

I opted instead to get on the dirt roads and took over 2 weeks to cross the state.

That said, I agree that Highway 50 is a beautiful drive and you will easily find camping spots along there. I think much easier than I-80.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Something to see, if you have time on your way back on 50.
I'd definitely stop here if you can. The cave tour is cool and the Wheeler Peak scenic drive gives some amazing views.