Road trip!!!!

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Well I realize it is not a "Fourwheeling" trip... but I feel compelled to share my trip that I recently returned from with you all! I accompanied my brother on a road trip from here in Grand Junction, CO all the way to Klamath Falls, OR so he could interview with the hospital there for the Residency program since he has just graduated from medical school and is now a doctor!!! We decided this would be the perfect opportunity to take a road trip and see some sites, so I got so see parts of the country that I have only seen on TV!!!
Crater Lake National Park was absolutely beautiful!!!
101_1765.jpg
101_1758.jpg
101_1775.jpg
I was one of the only people there during the week, so I had an unimpeded view! There was about a foot of snow on the ground and it was about 33 degrees at the edge of the caldera! I must go back there in the summer time for some fishing! The rangers said there are rainbow trout and salmon and you can catch as many as you like!!!! Well worth the stop!

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
After leaving Klamath Falls, OR we headed down towards Crescent City, CA to the ocean and Redwoods National Park! I have never seen the ocean before, (except from 37,000 feet) so I was looking forward to that.
However... after driving in the pouring rain for 3 hours it was looking like it was going to be a dreary day. But as we came into California, the skies cleared and the Redwoods were magnificent!
101_1800.jpg101_1803.jpg101_1810.jpg
We stopped in the Amelia Earheart Memorial Grove... but they have these strange things called "turnouts" in California. Now being from Colorado I have never heard of a turnout and I assumed that any wide spot in the road that didn't say no stopping or parking, meant you could do just that... stop and park! Well... apearantly not! About 5 minutes later a local sheriff's deputy was stopped and running our license plate. This guy was straight up rude! He asked me why I stopped in the turnout, I told him that I was just taking some pictures. He asked me if I was "stupid or something?" I asked him what made him think that... he said, "don't you know what a turnout is???" I said, "No sir, we don't have them in Colorado."

Long story short... I didn't get a ticket... there was not posted sign that said no parking. We continued about our marry way to the ocean!

Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
101_1834.jpg101_1836.jpg101_1838.jpg
101_1851.jpg101_1852.jpg101_1853.jpg
FINALLY THE OCEAN!!!!! Let me tell you.. it was worth it! We stopped in Crescent City, CA at the lighthouse. This is one of the most western points in the contiguous United States! Very cool! The sun was out, there was a cool breeze, the tide was just coming in..... ahhhhhhhhh!!!!
I wish I could have stayed there much longer!!!

But, alas... we had to get going... our reservation for the night was 600 miles away in Reno, NV... and the slots were calling! So we booked it to Reno!
Next morning... breakfast buffet, hit the slots, one dollar, loser, next dollar I won $50!!!! I called it good!!! then 12 hours of driving later we were back in Grand Junction, CO again!

GREAT TRIP!!! Too short, but well worth it! Would I do it again... in a heart beat!!!!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have been all over the country and have never heard of turnouts. Sounds like you got the guy Rambo got hahahah

I'll get my fishing pole ready. :D

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
True that!! If he only knew the "arsenal" that I was carrying in my backpack at the time! HAHAH!!!:rofl:

I guess they use the turnouts instead of passing lanes. Must save space or something! But then again, that state does use traffic signals instead of flag people in construction zones!! LOL!!!