Rock Krawler LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockkrawler

where is my buisness plug???

rockkrawler said:
As per the people with the GEN I did they Break the RK parts or the welds on there axle!!! I Know that anyone who had problems was warranty for free!!! Even if it was the installers fault.

Gen II bad boy Lifetime warranty!! I think this says enough

Scott Creasey

*Edit by Mod - Please become a registered vendor and help support the board before you plug your business*

Can you find the business plug??? Is there anything about a business in here>>>

Scott Creasey

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
To keep this thread on track...

I want to see some pictures of Gen 1 and Gen 2 kits. What are the differences? What problems were resolved? Can we get some numbers, materials, etc...? I want to see why the newer kits will survive and how they learned their lesson.

This could make for a very great thread if we had more technical facts and less opinions.

Creasey - Feel free to add your input! Just please don't plug your business without helping to support the board. :)

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Herzog said:
To keep this thread on track...

I want to see some pictures of Gen 1 and Gen 2 kits. What are the differences? What problems were resolved? Can we get some numbers, materials, etc...? I want to see why the newer kits will survive and how they learned their lesson.

This could make for a very great thread if we had more technical facts and less opinions.

Creasey - Feel free to add your input! Just please don't plug your business without helping to support the board. :)

Shane - I think the difference so far is the Gen 1 used a double radious on the driver and none on the passenger side. the new kit has 3 equal in length long arms 2 on the driver and 1 on the passenger.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
Badcop said:
Jeremy - umm, yah, let it go man, I need pics since its an incomplete kit.... -_-
LET WHAT GO?

I believe (and hope I'm not putting words in Jeremy's mouth) that Jeremy's comment was alluding to the drama that ALWAYS ensues about RK lifts. I'm not sure he has had specific experience with the lifts themselves, but we've ALL had enough of the drama associated with the RK lift discussions. {seems to come up annually, or bi-annually}

I'd love to see a tech thread explaining (maybe this thread) the differences in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 kits. As long as we can keep the 'pimping' of the vendor (that's not registered here as a vendor) to a minimum and keep it somewhat technical, I don't think there's a problem with discussing the changes in design and why they did what. If it stays where Herzog has tried to direct it to, the discussion would be welcome and well within the board's rules.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
mbryson said:
I believe (and hope I'm not putting words in Jeremy's mouth) that Jeremy's comment was alluding to the drama that ALWAYS ensues about RK lifts. I'm not sure he has had specific experience with the lifts themselves, but we've ALL had enough of the drama associated with the RK lift discussions. {seems to come up annually, or bi-annually}

I'd love to see a tech thread explaining (maybe this thread) the differences in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 kits. As long as we can keep the 'pimping' of the vendor (that's not registered here as a vendor) to a minimum and keep it somewhat technical, I don't think there's a problem with discussing the changes in design and why they did what. If it stays where Herzog has tried to direct it to, the discussion would be welcome and well within the board's rules.

I was just giving Jeremy a hard time, but fine I wont have fun on this baord anymore...... :(

mbryson

Supporting Member
Badcop said:
I was just giving Jeremy a hard time, but fine I wont have fun on this baord anymore...... :(

No fun for you.......... :D (I didn't know why you pointed out Jeremy other than the other RK thread.).......... The RK threads seem to always get a little out of hand. I feel like sh!t and don't want to spend much time on the interweb this weekend moderating a RK thread. Maybe I'm overreacting? Maybe not?

As I stated above, if the discussion can remain technical in nature and not turn into an advertisement (which wouldn't be fair to our paying vendors), the discussion would be good tech and would be welcome. I'd like to know the actual differences between the two (your comments point out some differences) 'generations'. Maybe a few pics.

rockkrawler

Did The Post Go Off Topic.

mbryson said:
No fun for you.......... :D (I didn't know why you pointed out Jeremy other than the other RK thread.).......... The RK threads seem to always get a little out of hand. I feel like sh!t and don't want to spend much time on the interweb this weekend moderating a RK thread. Maybe I'm overreacting? Maybe not?

As I stated above, if the discussion can remain technical in nature and not turn into an advertisement (which wouldn't be fair to our paying vendors), the discussion would be good tech and would be welcome. I'd like to know the actual differences between the two (your comments point out some differences) 'generations'. Maybe a few pics.

As per the people with the GEN I did they Break the RK parts or the welds on there axle!!! I Know that anyone who had problems was warranty for free!!! Even if it was the installers fault.

Scott Creasey

if this is pimping I am guilty!!!

Scott Creasey

mbryson

Supporting Member
rockkrawler said:

Scott Creasey

if this is pimping I am guilty!!!

Scott Creasey

There is a place to 'pimp'. It's called the Vendors Forum. If you'd like to be a vendor, contact Greg and feel free to pimp there.

You are guilty. Mellow out just a little. I sense you are passionate about your company (and I can't blame you for that), but tone it down just a little and give me a little tech. All the exclamation points are not necessary. I'd hoped you'd discuss the changes made between the Gen 1 and Gen II kits. You don't need to mention any warranty crap or whatever. Just discuss what changes you made and why. Pictures would be nice.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If people want RK thats cool. I don't like it and I think it's amusing how RK fans will talk about their design superiority---which is obvious since they are on like generation 6 x factor version 2.7 or whatever. if it's so great why so many differnet design changes?

I think they may have it right this time though since you don't hear about joints, welds, and brackets falling apart on the freeway or when dust gets near them ;)

Cody <stirring the pot lol

Alright boys(and girls) a little tech for your reading pleasure...

I don't know much about the GEN 2 or X or whatever...But I know a bit about GEN 1. And since it was/is on my rig....I feel I can share with you the goods and bads I experienced...

First off, the front end. Springs are good, nice ride on and off road. Track bar itself isn't too bad, mounting is. Using stock lower location and a drop bracket up top on 7+inches just doesn't cut it. The drop bracket on mine broke...not the weld, the bracket itself, which is 1/4-3/8" thick...A better design would put the TB on top of the axle...much better! The first GEN radius arm was terrible! Welding an extra bracket on the spring bucket, bad idea, then having a very short arm, bad idea. My entire spring bucket and LCA bracket tore off the axle while on the freeway...NOT FUN! Many of you probably saw my axle afterwards at RL...I know Cody did. RL re-did the front arms, using the stock UCA for the radius arm, much better. Also put new beefy LCA brackets on the axle...I think the new kits come with these :confused:
The mounts the the "frame" aren't all that bad, like everyone thinks they are. If they're bolted on and welded right....They hold up well.
Now the rear. The LCA's are fine, the stock brackets could use some beefing up, but other than that they're good. The UCA are a different story...The wishbone wasn't a bad idea, but having short uppers with long lowers isn't good. Especially using stock mounts up top...with washers as "spacers" :ugh:
The single threaded heim didn't fair too well either, the joint never failed, but the threads did....It pulled out numerous times on me....ended up having to weld the sh!t out of it...which lost the ability to adjust... Pics I've seen of newer designs look like they fixed some of these problems by using 2 UCA instead of the wishbone, and the X Factor does them long. Next up, the cradle. Not a bad idea...For a show truck :p My diff leaked constantly, even with the U-bolts on both sides and what not....A better design would be a truss...Even with the Aluminum 44....weld it to the tubes, not the housing. Then do a double triangulated 4-link :greg:

Over all the kit's not bad. It flexes like mad, and once I fixed all the bugs...It did rather well. I do think it would be nice to do a full belly skid design kit....With all the mounts solid on the skid, who cares if it makes it harder to access the tranny & T-case and what not...it would be very nice...Rockcontrol(while he was in business) had a very nice design on this...I'll try and dig up some pics...

Hope this is all good tech and I didn't offend anyone...Enjoy :D

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
Gen I, II, X Factor

I will try and stick to specs or changes from Gen I, Gen II, and X Factor lifts. Putting all the lifetime warranty (manufacture or dealer) and stuff aside, I do know a little about the Rock Krawler lifts. I do own one and have friends that run the lifts to. The differences between Gen I and Gen II is that the Gen I used a three link that used the radius arm off of the control arm on the drivers side. The Gen II uses a three link that are of equal length (or close to same length) in the front and both use a four link in the rear. The X factor changes the rear upper control arms on the four link making them the same length (or close to same length) and depending on the application it uses a different skid/belly pan. The X Factor system also uses there new joints that are better then the old ones. I believe that on all the lifts you had an option of how the rear upper control arms mounted to the rear axle ether with the diff cover bracket that is bolt on or a cradle that was welded to the axle. I know the Gen II has more flex than the Gen I and the X Factor is suppose to have more flex than the Gen II. This just what I know and is not set in stone. I like my lift system that is Gen II and I plan on getting the X factor system on one of my other Jeeps in the future. I don’t know of any people that use Rock Krawler that dislike it.

Everyone has different opinions on how jeeps should be built and so I don’t know why every time Rock Krawler is brought up it turns into a bashing session and people who stick up for Rock Krawler or stand up for there product get in trouble on this sight.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
1BadZJ said:
...Everyone has different opinions on how jeeps should be built and so I don’t know why every time Rock Krawler is brought up it turns into a bashing session and people who stick up for Rock Krawler or stand up for there product get in trouble on this sight.

Read the rules! :rolleyes:

Businesses who are not paying vendors are not allowed to advertise their products or services. The problem is that a certain Rock Krawler dealer doesn't understand that. Even though they have been warned repeatedly, they continue posting information in the form of advertising, That isn't fair to the other shops who do pay to advertise. The problem isn't this site, it's the dealer who doesn't understand how the site works. Got it?

Last edited:

Caleb

1BadZJ said:
Everyone has different opinions on how jeeps should be built and so I don’t know why every time Rock Krawler is brought up it turns into a bashing session and people who stick up for Rock Krawler or stand up for there product get in trouble on this sight.

I'd like you to reference ONE post where anyone that stuck up for RK that was NOT breaking the rules got in trouble? :confused:

The Mods and Admin on this site have absolutely no reason no go against RK, it would gain nothing for the board by flat out refusing any talk on the RK products. So please stick to the facts, if you don't know the facts then don't say anything.

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
Greg said:
Read the rules! :rolleyes:

Businesses who are not paying vendors are not allowed to advertise their products or services. The problem is that a certain Rock Krawler dealer doesn't understand that. Even though they have been warned repeatedly, they continue posting information in the form of advertising, That isn't fair to the other shops who do pay to advertise. The problem isn't this site, it's the dealer who doesn't understand how the site works. Got it?
Most of us know that know who this Rock Krawler dealer is and I agree some times he make take it to far when he is defending the product he sales and uses. But there are times he is just passionate about what he is talking about and not necessarily pushing his shop and his posts are deleted. I know rules are rules and we all need to follow them. I am not trying to start something; I just enjoy using the form now and then. I am not blaming the site it just seems that some people attack others more than some.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
1BadZJ said:
Most of us know that know who this Rock Krawler dealer is and I agree some times he make take it to far when he is defending the product he sales and uses. But there are times he is just passionate about what he is talking about and not necessarily pushing his shop and his posts are deleted. I know rules are rules and we all need to follow them. I am not trying to start something; I just enjoy using the form now and then. I am not blaming the site it just seems that some people attack others more than some.

Yes, and somewhere in there is a balance which we all need to find.

You say you're not trying to start something, but you really need to know all the details before you make accusations. We have done a lot in the way of informing everyone, as well as this specific dealer, of the proper use of the forum for vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.