Rock lights, cb mount ideas.

Omgbecki

Looking into rock lights who is running what and where would I mount them.

Also I got given a cb by my dad but I can't think of where or how to mount it or an antenna. Ideas appreciated.

jentzschman

I have 4 rock light on each side, well I did. 3 on driver and I think only 2 on pass... I will have to get some pics of them. ( I might have some floating around on my comp)

I mounted my antenna to a bed bar I built with a small tab for the mounting stud. Also, I will get some pics up.

i've got the visionx LED kit for rock lights. a well worth great kit.

as for CB in a TJ on top the dash in that little tray seems common but i don't own a TJ so i won't be much help, but you can mount your antenna anywhere you wand just depends on how much you want to spend on a bracket or if you want to make one. or how you feel like running the coax.

Omgbecki

I have 4 rock light on each side, well I did. 3 on driver and I think only 2 on pass... I will have to get some pics of them. ( I might have some floating around on my comp)

I mounted my antenna to a bed bar I built with a small tab for the mounting stud. Also, I will get some pics up.

You are running mineral basin tomorrow correct? I can check out your lights there.

Omgbecki

Yeah. That's looking like my only option jmaxj. I just don't really want to have the cb on top if the defrost.

tool

Mopar
I have always used the cheap harbor freight fog lights for rock lights. I had bought a bunch years ago at $7 a pair (with wiring). I think they are on sale sometimes now for 10 or 12 bucks. I never found a reason to have expensive lights underneath, because even an $80 light will break if smashed on a rock.

I have an 86 Ram and mounted 4 under, 1 pointed near each tire and it works well. I just drilled a hole on a metal body tab that hung down (one that allowed me to aim the beam where desired).

As far as Cb antennas, are you looking to mount one on the TJ in your sig? If so you'll probably want to have it toward the rear as far as you can (they tend to be a bit loud on the highway). Most people mount them at the pass rear. There are all kinds of kits out there, or build your own bracket. If you dont want any added holes in your rig, you could mount one on the spare tire carrier, assuming that you still have one.

Josh

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
You can check mine out tonight as well. I have my cb mounted the same way I had it in my TJ. And the rock lights I got are small and easy to mount anywhere.

Omgbecki

You can check mine out tonight as well. I have my cb mounted the same way I had it in my TJ. And the rock lights I got are small and easy to mount anywhere.

Are you still going tonight? I'll definitely give a look at it to get ideas.

sixstringsteve

tool brings up a good point. The harbor freight lights are 10 times brighter and cheaper than the LEDs. However, they also stick out more, and they draw a lot more power. They get pretty hot too. But bang for the buck, they're hard to beat. Once you go night wheeling, you'll ask yourself why you haven't done it sooner. It makes easy trails a bit more challenging and fun.

Also, with the CB, you don't have to mount it permamnetly. I've seen a lot of guys wire it to a cig adapter and just set their CB up when they go wheeling and remove it when they don't. I really like the magnetic mount antennas, they do a great job, although my latest one was kind of a pain to tune up. Make sure your CB is tuned and within spec before using it, or you could fry it. I have a tuner if you'd like to borrow it. You could swing by early tonight around 5 and we can tune your CB. Flying J has the k30 magnetic mount antennas that I like.

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

Mine isnt a jeep and im not sure how your rear view mirror is mounted but in my sidekick I couldnt figure out where I wanted and then came across a site called damngoodidea.net and found a tray that bolts up using the rear view mirror and then mounted my cb to that.

image.jpg

430338_10151383847940193_1984364509_n.jpg

http://damngoodidea.net/store/product.php?productid=4&cat=4&page=1

Omgbecki

Thanks steve and airman for your ideas. My cb is a full size cobra that had been tweaked up a bit. My dad is a truck drive and they don't do "little" radios lol. Steve I'm not sure about that tuning stuff I'm actually about to go check out antennas right now.

Omgbecki

My dad decided (with some smooth talking my me) that he is just going to send me an antenna and coax and power cord. The cb has a 100 watt kicker installed amongst some other stuff. Anyone know of any cb shops in northern utah?

I like that bracket airman but my mirror is glued to the window. I saw you selling these a while back but sold them all before I could get one. I'm sure you know how big a full sized cb is, would one fit on this?

airmanwilliams

I like that bracket airman but my mirror is glued to the window. I saw you selling these a while back but sold them all before I could get one. I'm sure you know how big a full sized cb is, would one fit on this?

Dude I had them for forever. Im sure we could get ILean to take mine for a template and make a few if you and some others would like to try them. I am not well versed in cbs so I am unsure if a full size one will fit or how heavy it might be but if you want to take a look im sure we could meet up sometime and you can see mine in person.

Omgbecki

I think I noticed a great solution for myself. I have kc lights mounted on my window bracket and I noticed coming back down mineral basin at night that when I turned these lights on even with them pointing forward they actually light up the ground a bit so the next time I'm out I'm going to point them down and see how that works out.