Rock Sliders for XJ

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
I was wondering what the best way to secure rock sliders to the frame of an XJ would be. I know the Uni body isn't so great for welding to, but is a bolt on style any better? Thanks-

Mariocherokee

S

sukaB

Economos said:
Mine are welded on. They've taken quite a few hits with no ill effects.

Mario the way I do them is plate the unibody then wled the bar to that material than you can spread the wealth when welding for maximum strenght.
I hate bolting anything it just fades and becomes loose over time and you don't want that.

A ZJ Grand is getting the same treatment for some rear shocks tomorrow...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
sukaB said:
Mario the way I do them is plate the unibody then wled the bar to that material than you can spread the wealth when welding for maximum strenght.
I hate bolting anything it just fades and becomes loose over time and you don't want that.

Brandon's right... plate n' weld. It amazes me that so many aftermarket sliders for XJ's come with "self tapping" bolts intended to be threaded through one layer of cheesy unibody. :eek:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Vonski X said:
It amazes me that so many aftermarket sliders for XJ's come with "self tapping" bolts intended to be threaded through one layer of cheesy unibody. :eek:
That's what I did for my sliders :confused: ... wait a second... :ugh:

S

sukaB

Hickey said:
That's what I did for my sliders :confused: ... wait a second... :ugh:

But we would expect it from you Hickey..

Von I didnt like seeing your rig in Moab without you drivin it..

I don't want to sell mine but I think I'm going to have to, it would make life so much easier for next season..
Damn

Vonski

nothing to see here...
sukaB said:
But we would expect it from you Hickey..

Von I didnt like seeing your rig in Moab without you drivin it..

I don't want to sell mine but I think I'm going to have to, it would make life so much easier for next season..
Damn

Yeah, kinda sucked since I was wheelin' an open diff'd XJ on 33's last weekend in Moab. :eek:

It'll suck for you to part with your rig, but you're due for something new aren't ya? Gotta keep up or get left behind these days, huh? :cool:

S

sukaB

Vonski X said:
Yeah, kinda sucked since I was wheelin' an open diff'd XJ on 33's last weekend in Moab. :eek:

It'll suck for you to part with your rig, but you're due for something new aren't ya? Gotta keep up or get left behind these days, huh? :cool:

Amen
I should have enough money to get my new rig goin due to sponsors but the cash would be good.
Can I build a comp buggie at least with small seat for Swamp..

Sorry about the Hi-Jack I'm done

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Good luck with the new rig Brandon, my rig is gonna be on the backburner for a while until some other projects are out of the way. :(

OK, back on topic... I picked up a '97 XJ for a daily driver but plan on throwing on some sliders soon too.
I have seen where some have plated just the outside of the unibody rail, but it's not a bad idea to have it wrap around the bottom. Also, you can drill holes in the material and do some "rosette" welds for extra strength too.

Caleb

Vonski X said:
Good luck with the new rig Brandon, my rig is gonna be on the backburner for a while until some other projects are out of the way. :(

OK, back on topic... I picked up a '97 XJ for a daily driver but plan on throwing on some sliders soon too.
I have seen where some have plated just the outside of the unibody rail, but it's not a bad idea to have it wrap around the bottom. Also, you can drill holes in the material and do some "rosette" welds for extra strength too.

IMO the rosette welds are an ideal easy addition considering when you plate you still end up with the end of the plate putting a lot of strees on the chinsy sheet metal frame thing:D (does that make sense):confused:

S

sukaB

supergper said:
IMO the rosette welds are an ideal easy addition considering when you plate you still end up with the end of the plate putting a lot of strees on the chinsy sheet metal frame thing:D (does that make sense):confused:

I Actually make a wrap up bracket that fits exactly the right shape of the XJ which I use for our new long arm kit...
That would be sweet thanks for the idea..

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
sukaB said:

A ZJ Grand is getting the same treatment for some rear shocks tomorrow...

My name isn't mario...BTW, somebody nicknamed my car mario because it is red...kinda lame, but now you know. My name is Ryan. Just to clear things up, thanks for the advise though!

-Mariocherokee

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
supergper said:

THE ONLY way to weld to a car.........