Rock Sliders

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
hay guys im making rock sliders for my 96 xj i need sum design ideas i have bushwacker cut outs so i dont know if that makes a difference on lengths any help would be great

Badger

I am the Brute squad
what ever you do make sure to have them attach to the pinch seam under the door.they are pretty easy.grab some 2x4 stock the length you want,some 2x2 stock for the returns to the frame,some 1/4 plate for the mount on the frame ,and some 1x1 or taller angle iron for the pinch seam.

you don't need to have the plate that long on the frame but the bigger they are the better
1rockers.jpg

here is a thread on NAXJA

building rockrails

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
XJDevil said:
what thickness of material should i use for the tubes

I used 1/8" (2x4 rectangular) and was fine. It did dent, but for the most part it got bashed on the corner and was totally fine. If/when it did dent, I felt it in my teeth (and probably throughout my uniframe). I tried to avoid hitting it that hard.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
XJDevil said:
how should i attatch the plate to the unirail

I used 4 1" pieces of angle iron that I welded to the rockrail and bolted (two per piece) to the unirail. If I did one again, I'd use a couple more or just run the angle the length of the unirail and bolt in at least 6 spots.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
You can always cut the existing rockers out and replace them with 1.5x3" stock. It comes out quite clean and gives the body alot more support than whats there. Cot back to the pinch seam, weld the stock to it the entire lenght and bolt or weld to the leftover metel under the door.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i welded :-\ (hickey welded) a piece of 2.5"angle to the uni-rail, from the control arm mount in the front to the leaf spring hanger in the rear, and welded my sliders to that. it really stiffened up the body too. i can now open all five doors when i am all twisted up. i am thinking about reinforcing the rest of the uni-frame in a similar way.