Rock-Trac help

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Afternoon all.

So I'm building a 01 TJ. Debating a Rock-Trac or a Rubibox.

Here is one of the dilemmas I have and I need your help with.

From what I can find 03-06 are the same (Rock-Trac) and I should be able to install in my TJ. However, what I'm hearing 07 and up are differant.

So are they?

I need a 23 spline input is all I have so far.

Cost wise the Rock-Trac is the better way to go as i can find them from $1000 up to $2000, the Rubi box is $1800ish and i'll still need a SYE on the 231.

Suggestions.

thenag

My father in law is selling a behemoth dana 300 setup. He had it in his tj but decided he didn't really want/need the complexity of it. We installed it, he put about 20 miles on it, it wasn't right, when I took it apart we realized that we forgot to put a bearing in it so the planetary shifted forward and back. There is no noticeable gear wear from the mistake.

Here is the thread from when we were putting it in. (there is a lot of info on my duffy np231/d300 on that thread too.)
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?107672-Custom-T-Case-shifter-setup(s)-and-Behemoth

His tj has a manual and the brown dog motor mounts that tilt the motor back, we have a drive shaft and a cable that was going to shift the behemoth. We have some mechanical shifters for the d300 that might give you an idea of what to do. If you have a manual transmission, it should bolt right in, you just need to figure out how to shift the boxes.

The behemoth shorty is basically this box, behemoth (Jacob) disappeared a while ago. There are people on RME that run his boxes with no issues.
http://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-EcoBox-i-Billet-Planetary-Doubler-Case-Dana-300-Specific_p_2666.html

PM me if interested.

As for your original question;
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or/
looks like 07 does not have a VSS on it, so there is at least that difference in the cases.

Nathan

RockChucker

Jk cases are 23 spline. In 2012, the input changed slightly. At least for the autos. The AW580 trans has a weird female input, so the 2012 plus auto tcases have a shorter input and a spud shaft adapting the female tcase to the female trans.

From what I understand, you can put a TJ 241or tail housing onto the jk case so you can install a speed sensor in it. But. Good luck finding the tone ring. I have searched and can't find one in any dealership nationally. I'll be making one at some point to get this case into my buddy's TJ.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
So before 2012 they are 23 spline then?
I don't need the speed sensor in the end.
42rh is a simple trans.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RockChucker

They are still 23 spline in 2012 if you take the spud shaft out. But the input is pretty short if I remember correctly. Might not have much to seal on

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Gotcha. Do you know if 09 is the same?
The link Nathan posted above doesn't specifically say.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk