Rocker panel protection for a YJ

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Who has the best prices for rocker guards, what have you paid for rocker guards recently?

Should I build my own? I was thinking about getting a large piece of metal for the bottom part and getting a smaller part for the side below the door and weld them together. I would hook it into the body mounts like the popular rocker guards. Anyone done this before?

My rocker panels are starting to look like an accordian. I need to cover them up purty fast like.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
not really interested in the tube type. I would like to be sure it won't hang me up on the loop back to the frame. Just seems like it wouldn't be as good as the flat rock slider types.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
PierCed_3 said:
Should I build my own? I was thinking about getting a large piece of metal for the bottom part and getting a smaller part for the side below the door and weld them together. I would hook it into the body mounts like the popular rocker guards. Anyone done this before?

Build your own. Instead of welding two pieces together I took one big piece and put some bends in it. I started with 10" wide 3/16 flat bar that I think was hot rolled. (As a side note, I wouldn't recommend this material, its a little brittle and the surface is rather ruff. Instead use 3/16 cold roll sheet, cut to the needed dimensions).

Here's a pic of mine:

P1010227.jpg

And a closer pic of EZ's

Attachments

• EZ 02.jpg
    EZ 02.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 18

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Spork said:
Sorry got to ask...
Floppy, How did you bend the plate steel? Big Press? Had a shop do it? BFH?

I agree, I was thinking the same thing. I just assumed he had a steel bending machine.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
A press-brake is best for making the bends, unfortunately I didn't have access to one capable of making bends in a long enough piece.

I ended up taking them to a shop, I believe it was Kingdon Sheet Metal. Its been awhile, but I think it was somewhere around $30 for them to do the bends.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
spectra said:
Angle Iron. Either use some 4x4 or if you want to go under the tub more go with a 4x6 or bigger. I have 1/4 inch on mine and have beat the tar out of them.

Same here. 4x4 angle iron, $20 for 10 feet. Cut to fit between the fender flares, then used (6) 3/8" bolts to secure it to the tub. I beat them to snot and it just scratches the paint.
Devin

kirk86CJ

I got a piece of 4" x 3/16" strap, then welded a piece of 1 1/4" Sch 40 along the bottom. I then attached it to the body mounts in 3 places - front, rear, and one where my cage is tied to the frame (front hoop)
This is the only picture I could find.

I didn't use angle iron cause the inside corner isn't a clean 90 degree angle - it is kinda rounded.

Attachments

• Kirk_Constrictor_2[1].jpg
    Kirk_Constrictor_2[1].jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 11