rocker protection/ rock sliders

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I am having a hard time deciding what type of rocker protection to make for my scrambler. The ideas thus far are 1) bolt angle iron to the side and through floor or something. 2) use some 2x4 square tub and mount them ubder the rocker to the frame. 3) some combination of the two. 4) something other idea.
What I want is something and can use as a jack point, something that will support the weight of the vehicle, and something that could be use as a step. Any ideas. I don't have a bender, but can do most anything.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I've been looking at the samething for my samurai. I've been thinking of making the samthing rocky road outfitters has for a rock slider. They used 3/16ths hitch steel and bolting it to the frame it's really beefy if I could find hte hitch steel I'd do that. Then do somekind of diamond platting along th ebottem of the door. Maybe thats somthing you could look at The rocky road web site is www.rocky-road.com .. Then you could make me some J/K

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I would go for te 2x4 or 2x2 at least 3/16th wall. Schedule 40 also works very well for sliders if you want something round. it takes beatings better than tube and is a lot cheaper.

for mounting, I would go straight from the frame and extend at least .5" past the rocker edge to give it the protection it needs also.

the cleanest look will be some angle Iron riveted to the rocker panel. I would also make some supports gusseting the angle Iron that extend to a couple body mounts.

just spread that weight!!

Bones

I just made mine last night. Legs are 2x2x1/4 and the main bar is 2x4x1/4 allwelded to the frame. Overkill, but 3/16 wasn't available that day. These should last a while I'd guess ;)

xjc

I give up :(
believe it or not the weight can be a big factor. a couple hundred punds of steel can change the way your rig rides. If it rides rough right now, it may smooth things out a little:D

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
I am in the process of making my own sliders and found the perfect product to use. I went to Metal Mart in Lehi, 181 South 1200 East, and found some 1.5x2 inch rectangular tubing for the bottom protection and 1.5 inch round tubing for up the sides of the rocker. I paid 1 dollar per foot for the supplies. I have opted with the angle iron bolted and welded to the subframe of my ZJ. Metal Mart has the lowest prices in the area because they deal with odd size and length pieces, and what they call in the metalworks industry, "end of spool" pieces. Give them a call at 801-768-3332 or 800-947-0249.....ask for Andrew and tell him Paul from Off-Road Solutions sent you!!!

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Originally posted by xjc
believe it or not the weight can be a big factor. a couple hundred punds of steel can change the way your rig rides. If it rides rough right now, it may smooth things out a little:D
I weigh over a "Couple" hundred pounds...245 to be exact...and I can attest to the fact that weight makes it feel smoother.....My buddies all say it rides smooth when I'm in the Jeep!!!:D

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I think I am going with the 2x4 square tube. The weight issue did concern me a little and that is why I was looking at the angle iron idea. Is 2x2 good enough to use to attach them to the frame?

"and found some 1.5x2 inch rectangular tubing for the bottom protection and 1.5 inch round tubing for up the sides of the rocker."
I can't picture what you are doing. Are you going to bend the round tube and weld to the top of the rectangle?

Who welding them to the frame and who welded them to a plate and them bolted to the frame?