Rockwell axle experience

neagtea

Supporting Member
Rockwell Axles,
Ok guys chime in, my only experience is pounding them with the original Duce. Not under a wheeling rig.

V8 buggy 300ish HP with 47's what upgrades recommended?
Pinion brakes already done with wildwood calipers and pads.
Shaft strength, do they need to be upgraded? What about the drive slugs? U Joints? Probably Detroit front as it is welded right now.
Good possibility of dropping to 43 stickies if the 47's don't hook.
And if the whole Rockwell experience sucks 14 bolts or fabricated housings could be in its future.

Let fly
Thanks in advance

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Rockwells lasting really depends on the driver and driving style. Some poeple bust them running 42s, some make them last stock on 54s

In my experience the shafts were the weakest link. I busted at least 20 before upgrading to Ouverson violator 2" 47 spline shafts. I ran stock joints with them. I broke a couple ring gears in the back axle, broke 3 knuckles. Last sept a stock ujoint finally let go destroying lots of parts. Thats why im installing axletechs now

If you have shaft issues and never plan on running bigger than a 47" tire, Ouverson also makes a chromo 16 spline shaft. They seem to be very good.

I ran Yukon Grizzly lockers for them before i upgraded shafts. I would recommend them over a detroit just because of price difference.

If you get the Ouverson locker (same as Detroit and Grizzly) you can swap out the side gears for 47 spline shafts if you ever upgrade

Rockwells can be built how ever strong you want. Aftermarket parts for them are everywhere. Billet spindles, lifetime warranty knuckles, helicut gears, sheetmetal housings, etc. About the only part that i havent seen upgradeable is the chunk itself.

Personally i would spend money upgrading what you have rather than building 14 bolts

How about some pics??

AaronPaige

If you already have them, run them my buggy is super light for rockwells and 54s, and I do break shafts ( mostly rear steering) even the 16 cromos but there easy to change and relatively cheep, they are tough to build around and top heavy but it can be done and I love the different options you can come up with as far as easily centering the rear or even running two short shafts to be super narrow, I have mine converted to eight lug to save weight but I like mine... Tell I go bigger

neagtea

Supporting Member
Probably pick up a couple rear shafts for spares and run it. Been cruising oversons site and talking to Boyce.

redrussell

I don't have experience with Rockwells but have been toying with the thought of some 2.5tons for my big truck so is this information for 2.5tons or 5 tons? What is the best way to get rockwells?

ChestonScout

Im sure he is talking 2.5 tons

They pop up on ksl now and then but Boyce Equipment in Ogden always has them in stock. He also has 5 tons if your that manly

neagtea

Supporting Member
47 LTB
2.5 ton
A friend just bought the car we are gonna pick up Thursday. Just putting a list of stuff he will need.
Gonna run the car in Moab and get a feel for it before returning home. Then start changing stuff to his liking.

neagtea

Supporting Member
If ha call up to Boyce Brett or Mark usually answer the phone. I have dealt with them for years. And they been messing around with rockwells for at least 35 years

redrussell

I have an 86 Big block'd F-250 and now that I have a 2nd vehicle for towing I can play with this rig more for off roading. It has the Sterling Rear but that STUPID Flexy flyer Twin Ibeam front end. I have been toying with putting a 60 from a 1-ton up front but I like to be different and since I am in the Army I will probably end up in the south again man do they love their mud o might as well build a "Smaller" mud rig if you use their terms. How much power does it take to turn 2.5T VS 5T axles? This build wouldn't see rocks(Was messing around with this on a trail once already and I have to replace the bed thanks to it...) it would be built to have big meats and still be reliable.

redrussell

This might be a dumb question but do you drive it around much or is it just a buggy? What sort of economy do you get with them? My goal would be to keep it "street legal"able. I would shoot for being able to get some ag tires under it for the bogs in the south but something like 47 LTBs as well for just in general. The front would be the only clearance issue area. I have to replace the bed anyways so making a custom flatbed would just be better. This is still on the drawing board though since right now it is in, "if it aint broke go break it" status.

ChestonScout

Ya mine is not streetable at all. Mostly because the 54" tires and 105" width

Rockwells are geared 6.72:1. So economy and such will be dependant on tire size. Chevycrew on here used to have them under his daily driver crew cab. Maybe he will chime in

If those 47s end up going away i know a guy looking for a set

mombobuggy

Rocks are great axles they have served me well my only complaint about them has been my pinion brakes . they tend to run very hot on a long decent . I will surely upgrade to vented rotors soon to hopefully remedy this problem. My Truggy is a bit obese at just under 6000 lbs with me a full load of fuel groceries a cooler and all of the tools and parts that I carry . In spite of my 44 inch tires on steel wheels and a torquey Engine I have so far avoided any serious breakage 13 years so far on the stock shafts they could let go any time and they do not owe me anything. I am a somewhat conservative driver. I really should upgrade to chrome moly shafts for the sake of preventative maintenance. Back when I put the 44 inch ag tires on tons I broke some parts including a steering knuckle so I will happily live with the pinion brake quirks for increased strength. Congratulations on your new Buggy it looks like a very cool one and it is always cool to see another rockwell rig.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Ya mine is not streetable at all. Mostly because the 54" tires and 105" width

Rockwells are geared 6.72:1. So economy and such will be dependant on tire size. Chevycrew on here used to have them under his daily driver crew cab. Maybe he will chime in

If those 47s end up going away i know a guy looking for a set

Cheston if the 47's don't work I will hit ya up.
I have a feeling he may be headed for 43sx but only time will tell

LT.

I do not have personal experience running the Rockwell axles but, most of the guys I have run with do have them under their rigs. So, I think I can add some to your discussion. Rockwell axles are immensely heavy. They require a little more power to turn and the wheel choice has to be a step above what others would run on their one ton axles. Your un-sprung weight is going to be higher which can be helpful or hurtful depending on your driving style. The Rockewell axles do not have much for turning radius. This is due to the very large parts and joints. While they can be approved upon just remember they will still only go so far without some modifications. I have yet to see a set of Rockwells that doesn't leak. Seems like the boots and seals are always getting holes in them and the axles will leak. Maybe that can be solved with better attention to detail I don't know just my experience. Repairs can be done but, you may need a cherry picker or a couple of strong friends to help you lift the center chunk out. Every piece on these axles are big and heavy.

For your one ton discussion I am all for them provided you are sensible with your throttle input or your tire size. I was at Top Truck Challenge in 2008 and saw a rig running 49" tires on just one ton axles with a 540 Merlin motor. A front ring and pinion did let go on that rig but, the 14BFF held all event long. The rig was a cab truck with front fenders, grille, lights and such with a abbreviated bed/tube cage. Not a heavy rig but, heavier than some buggies I would think. His input of throttle is what made those axles live and the fact that he could just flat out drive very well. I personally use one ton axles on two of my rigs and another that will get the one ton front axle someday. I have found that even if I break something a spare part can be found at nearly every auto parts store. Perhaps the Rockwell can be as well but, I have never had them. I have yet to break any part on my one ton axles but, that is due to my driving style and some extra preventive maintenance I do prior to an outing. I use, what would now be considered, a gutless motor in my rock crawler. It is only a 320 hp 360 mopar with some headers, larger exhaust tubing, and a small cam. Nothing really. In my step side I have a 512 mopar sitting here waiting to go into her rails once the rest of the rig is done. Currently it is just a poor boy rebuilt 440 with some heads, headers, exhaust, that kind of thing. These parts last in my rigs because I am more of a progressive driver. I do not drive foot to the floor everywhere I go. I usually try to crawl something first. When that doesn't work I will use more and more throttle until I make it.

Chestonscout does things over the top. From his tow rig to his off road machine to his work ethic. Everything is done extremely well and he uses really big parts. His driving style is not what I would call over excessive but, he does have a big, well prepared machine and he expects it preform to his standards. He is a very quiet fella and has amassed a bunch of wisdom along the way. I would never argue with him about four wheeling or durability of parts. My belief is when I break, the parts are easier to find and cheaper to replace. It may not always be true but, for the most part it is. I think the upper echelon for one tons is around 44" tires when using discretion. Above that and you may want to look at larger axles.

LT.

neagtea

Supporting Member
View attachment 99255View attachment 99256View attachment 99255View attachment 99256Ok quick run up the rim and up Pritchett and back. Hardest line was straight up rocker knocker no issues at all.
Yes LT turn radius sucks had to do a few front digs. Long wheel base along with welded rear diff also killing turning radius.
Overson 16 spl. alloy shafts ordered along with lockers. And a complete reseal job is in order.
I don't have time to work on it so I am sending him up to Boyce for the up grades as well as replacing the Vietnam era seals.
Pinion brakes with 4piston willwood calipers kick ass!
I did do a little diff bashing. P.O. Had installed Mohawk skids on the bottom.
I looked up the weight on the LTB and MRW 40 bolt Beadlock- LOLx2 probably 1k# in tires and wheels.
The new owner is happy though with the climbing ability and stability.
The wedges in the sand hollow trails will be the true test of the axle shafts.
Couple of pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 14