Rockwell Steering Help

Sumo

Xykon: Order of the Stick
Well I sheared off 3 of the 4 5/8" grade 8 bolts that used to hold a steering arm to my rear rockwell.
attachment.php

I want to set up the rear steer like the front steer on this buggy. Since I am asking, obviously I didn't build this rig so I'm having a little trouble finding the coupling shown in the following picture:
attachment.php

On the front here, that's a 1.25" ram shaft and 1.25" rod end shaft with a 1" bore. So the coupling is 1.25" x 1.25" it seems. What is the proper description of this coupling (so I might find it on the interweb)? I was trying threaded coupler, threaded coupling, shaft coupler, etc. Any idea where I can find such a thing? Any local shop have or fab these?

To complicate matters, the shaft on the ram of the rear axle is 1-1/8" so if I go with the same rod ends as the front, I need the coupler to be 1-1/8" x 1-1/4".

Final question: I think rockwell steering knuckles have a 7/8" hole out at the end of that arm. Can I drill that out to 1" or do I need to use a reamer?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Sheared.jpg
    Sheared.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Steering.jpg
    Steering.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 86

Corban_White

Any machine shop should be able to whip one of those out for you without a problem. There are 2 (that I know of) who advertise on here (summit and apex), my neighbor has one and could take care of it and I'm sure there are others.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I would guess that its a custom made piece for sure but it will be easy for any machine shop to whip one out like Corban said.

Are you sure you want to get away from the steering arm tho? Im using one and havent had any problems.

The only thing Im doing different is Im using studs to hold it on instead of grade 8 bolts. The studs with conical washers are A LOT stronger than just bolts.

I think it would be an easier fix than having to redo your whole steering setup.

You could also double shear your steer arm. I imajine that it sits above the stock tie rod end hole? You could run a long bolt with a sleeve all the way through or just weld a gusset between the 2. That way all your pressure isnt put on the 4 bolts.

Also, you can drill the tie rod end out if you want. Ive seen the knuckles break right there tho so if you drill it out it will be weaker. You will want to wrap it with metal and weld it all up. They make a tapered sleeve that goes into the stock rod end hole that allows you to use a 3/4" bolt. Thats what I did on my front steering and its plenty strong.

Sumo

Xykon: Order of the Stick
I appreciate the responses, guys. I should have waited a bit but I purchased the 1-1/4" rod ends and tube inserts last night. I'm going to give it a shot and try to beef up the stock steering arm as Cheston suggested. I'll give Summit Machine a call for the shaft coupler. Crazy as it sounds, I'm wondering if that coupler in the picture is a rigid steel conduit coupler. 1-1/4" is a standard size but I have no idea what the threads would be. If the ram on my rear axle had a 1-1/4" shaft, I might have been in luck. :-\

ROCKWELLMAFIA

Studs

Dont run studs they will break!! Do the steering exactly the way the front is done!! I know a guy that could walk you through exactly what was done to do the front steering that way!! If your worried about the knuckle breaking just order up a set of gussets from mud pro metal works and be done with it:d:d