Rocky mountain pinstripes

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I took the lexus through some really heavy sagebrush and got some real good pinstriping down the sides. The clearcoat is probably damaged a little but not the paint. It doesn't need look perfect, but I would like it to be at least presentable, so what do I do? I am completely clueless when it comes to taking care of my car's paint and body since up to this point all I've ever owned was either rusted, rattlecanned, or rhino-lined.

I feel dumb asking, but are there shops that do this kind of thing? Can I trust them? I mean I don't think I need it touched up or painted or anything, but I don't have tools or trust in myself to try and sand or buff the scratches out. Suggestions?

utah340six

take it to a detail shop and have it buffed out.
a paint shop sould do it also.
as long as its only in the clear coat.
if in slc call roses paint less dent repair
used to be on gordon lane just off state an 41st

str8axleguy

The best thing to do is just buff the scratches out with a rotary buffer or polisher. This is hard to do your first time and you can actually burn through the paint, so if you do it yourself be careful and don't press too hard. If this intimidates you meguirs scratch x has worked for me in the past also, followed by a wax job. If you want to have it done just take it to a body shop and they should be able to quote ya a price to buff em out, as long as they aren't too deep. Most of these scratches will buff out from experience though.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Jack Kesler is a vendor here. Watch for his banner up top. He would be worth a call, if he is not able to take the job, he would give you names of other places that would be recomended. 801-568-0154

jdub

Scrambler
Get some Meguiars and a buff pad and do some test spot's by hand. If you like what you see then proceed. If not, seek professional help. Burning clear coat is a scare, I've always liked the old fashioned way by hand(less swirls).

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Ok, cool. That makes me feel much better.

Any other recommended shops that are reasonable and trustworthy? Anywhere from Logan to Provo. Prices I would expect to pay for a buff/wax job?

CJJ92yj

rule of thumb.....if you can feel the scratch by dragging your fingernail over it, it won't buff out. You may get it to look better, but you won't get rid of it completely. If you want it back to factory fresh, you're looking at wet sanding and buffing back out from there. If it's really bad, probably wet sanding and a recoat of clear.

There are mobile detailers around. Dunno of any off hand. They'd probably be cheaper and do every bit as good as a body shop. I do my own with a UDM (orbital) buffer. They are not as quick as a true rotary, but then again, the risk of burning through paint is far far less. I prefer the Optimum line of polishes personally (available online). As for a wax, I prefer Meguiars NXT 2.0 (available at Wal-Mart).