roll cage questions

hey all,

i want a cage in the bronster
i've bin drawin up stuff and playin with ideas and different layouts
i would assume this topic has been beat to a pulp on here before
but i could not find too much on the search tab,

so anyways i was thinkin of a 6 or 8 point cage

can someone point me in the right direction for designing such a thing?
i want to learn more about the different ways of building them

thanx for any replies

muleskinner

I just built mine. I just kept it as high and tight as poss. I'm going to build rock sliders today and tie it to them for a way to tie into the frame. I'll post more pics tonight when its finished. I used a conduit bender and scedule 40 pipe:)

muleskinner

Thanks. I used sch 40 because I got it for free! Here is the rocksliders I built today. The plates bolt through to the bottom of the cage plate. It all tied in nicely.

johndoe508

pebble hopper
Hey muleskinner how did you use a conduit bender to bend the pipe? What size is it? I have about three hundred foot of 2" sch. 40 pipe in my back yard that I cant use because I cant bend it.

muleskinner

It measures 1 7/8 OD, or 1 1/2 conduit size. I used a cyclone conduit bender (electric). It will bend up to 2'' Sch. 40. If you cant afford a bender a Harbor Freight cheepo will bend Sch. 40 also.
Good luck.

johndoe508

pebble hopper
well I really hope it wont bend. I know that my nerf bars that I have attached to the frame wont bend with the wieght of my 3/4 ton truck all on them right in the middle. I placed jack stands in the center of the nerf bar and let down both sides. I had the truck pivoting on the jack stands and nothing bent or broke so I am pretty sure it will take a lot to bend the bars. my two ton jack will overload and go to the secondary, when lifting the front end of the truck so I am pretty sure that the bars will hold plenty of wieght. But if anyone has problems with this pipe please tell me. Thanks

muleskinner

Go to pirate an check boogerwelds posts. he used to run tube on his exo but got tired of replacing it after he'd flop. he went to sch. 40 pipe and it doesnt bend anymore. My runners are pipe also and I've never bent them either.

tuck

spud crawler
contrary to what a lot of people think, pipe is more difficult to dent than DOM or HREW tubing. the reason that people use DOM and chromoly on roll cages is because it will dent and absorb impact, but hold its structure enough to protect the passengers. Quite a few people use pipe for bumpers and skids because it doesn't dent very easily.

from what I have "heard", pipe can split instead of denting, which might not be good, but so far I haven't heard of too many cases.

I hope to bend a cage for my waggy pretty soon, and I'm still contemplating the material that I'll use. I would like to know how a schedule 40 cage holds up in a flop or rollover.