Roll Over Flame Thrower

xjc

I give up :(
My fuel pump is going out on my samurai and I have a low pressure electric fuel pump to put on. I can wire the pump through a solenoid to turn off when the key is off but ...

Problem:confused:: I don't want the thing to keep pumping gas after I roll down a hill and the motor stops running. Hot exhaust, lots of gas-_-

Rolling down a hill followed by a huge fire ball is very hollywood but I don't really want to give that a try:ugh:.

So, anyone have a hint as to where I might look for a voltage source that is only on when the motor is running to run my solenoid off of. PS this is an 88 samurai, started with electronic carb but now has a 34-34 with electric choke.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
umm I don't know what Alternator you are running but you could hook up something to the charge wire from your alt to a relay?

xjc

umm I don't know what Alternator you are running but you could hook up something to the charge wire from your alt to a relay?

Its a GM alternator of some kind. It was in there when I got it. Is the charge wire typically 12v, I could just poke around the harnase and see if I can find one that goes dead when its not running. The trick is to get it running at the moment. I can hard wire the pump for testing I guess.

Thanks for the info

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
The problem with using the Alt is if it dies then you can't continue on down the road... you may want to actually just look for a rollover kill switch or a relay of some type that only works at X angles but inverted it doesn't

xjc

Thats a good point although in that event I could just bypass it. The problem may be that I will have to have a bypass to get it to start if the float bowl isn't full. i may need to make this a little complicated to get it to work right and safe

mhudson

YEEHAY
I found an unused plug in the engine compartment. I used that as power. It kills off when the key is off, or the car dies.

Other then that. I would run a power wrie from a hot wire (on and off with the key. NOT OFF THE BAT) to a master switch in the dash. Then to a relay, then to the pump. I would leave it at that.
That way you can leave the switch on and still have the it turn off with the key.

I have a buddies wire his from the seatbelt system. That way when the seatbelts were on. it started.

xjc

The seatbelt idea is nice. I think the best thing is to wire it in with the key switch and try to find a gravity switch that will kill it if i'm upside down.

zukking01

There is a kill switch that activated when the oil pressure stops. If plugs into a port on the block anywhere the oil flows through and works great. If you have a oil pressure guage you can get a splitter to use both if you dont have a second port.