Rot Box's 1991 Ford F350

Owners Name & City- Andrew. Lewiston Utah

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1991 Ford F350 CC

Engine- 7.3L International V8 diesel. Mechanical injection with an aftermarket 088 model ATS turbocharger

Transmission- ZF5 5speed manual

T-Case- Borg-Warner 1356

Axles- High pinion kingpin Dana 60 front. Sterling 10.25 full floating rear

Suspension- Stock leaf springs

Wheels and Tires- Alcoa 16x8 with 255/85 BFG KM2's

Favorite Trails- :eek:

Other- 8' Four Wheel Camper 'pop-up'.

3501.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
A little history: Having owned a 92 Dodge with the legendary 12v Cummins I didn't think it could get any better until I needed room for car seats. On the hunt for a different truck I knew I wanted mechanical injection, manual transmission with overdrive, four doors, 4wd. Guess who was the only manufacture to combine those options in the states? F$#d :rolleyes: Back in 2010 I found this fairly clean 91 with every service record back to 2001. It has the 7.3L International diesel engine with an ATS turbocharger as an added bonus.

Anyway I'm going to share some of the places I've been and plan to go with the Ford along with sharing some upgrades for both the truck and camper. Stay tuned

photo-16_zps7698f279.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I really like this truck. I've had two "bricknoses" (I love that, by the way, and will use it!) before, and I wish I hadn't gotten rid of either of them. If I could find one of these with a shortbed in the condition yours is in, I think I'd sell my left foot to buy it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks everyone. I have a lot more to add but I'm not sure where to start yet :eek:

I've had a couple friends ask me what direction I'm headed now that the 100 series is sold and why the sudden interest in the pickup I haven't driven much in the last two years. Well.. after a few long distance trips through Utah, Wyoming and Idaho last year I've come to realize that the type of 4wheeling I enjoy the most is down right miserable for my kidlets at times. My daughter is six now and while she absolutely loves the outdoors and the places we go spending all day in the car while I enjoy the view through the windshield is just not working out. I can only say 'hey look at that cool rock formation' (as we drive by) so many times before all interest is lost. My son just turned one year old really shouldn't be in the car for long periods of time or bouncing around on a trail anyway. Some of the best times we've had together are when we drive to somewhere nearby, pick a nice spot by the river and drop anchor for the weekend. And that's what I plan to do. More day hikes, more campouts, a lot more fishing and less destinations that involve driving on a trail/road all day.

That's where the Ford comes in. With the Four Wheel Camper loaded up it's ready to go anytime. I modified the cabinetry to accommodate my ARB fridge, re-wired the furnace and patched up a few leaks. Plan to add some led interior lighting and possibly a memory foam mattress----ahhhhh that sounds nice. It's already super cozy and the pack-n-play (play pen for baby) fits nicely inside. I'll grab some pics soon.

DSC02927-1.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Scored an old school winch bumper this week from an RME'er. Wife and daughter think it's butt ugly.. but I think it's cool :D

The best part is now having a step to stand on while working in the engine bay (these things are important when you own a F%$d). Not sure what to do for a winch yet..

photo-32_zps697a5854.jpg

photo-31_zpsa5c3f002.jpg

MattL

I too love the looks of these old fords.
I don't know if i could handle a long bed but could dig a short bed 4 door.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I had a feeling you snatched up that bumper! I definitely thought about it, I think it looks great. You dont see many of that style anymore, most of them have the brush guard built in.

Are you still running the mechanical lift pump? What about your IP and injectors, still OEM?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
RE: winch. I think I know of an 8274 (old bugger---different model # but that type) winch that could be available. I'll check with the guy and let you know. Could use some maint. but I'd assume you're up for that?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I don't know if i could handle a long bed but could dig a short bed 4 door.

It is a super long truck no doubt. Parking lots are a joke haha. They did make a few OBS crew cab shortbeds and extended cab short beds years 95-97 maybe? All were F250's I now that much.

Are you still running the mechanical lift pump? What about your IP and injectors, still OEM?

It has the mechanical pump. I installed the "Holley Red" on my last IDI and hated it. It advanced the injector pump in a way that made it nearly impossible to start cold.. Weird I know. The injectors are the BB code Delphi. Overall it runs pretty good. I still need to get it timed with a meter poke--poke--poke :D I'd like to get an upgraded injector pump someday along with an intercooler. Didn't you install a puff eliminator? What are your thoughts on it?

RE: winch. I think I know of an 8274 (old bugger---different model # but that type) winch that could be available. I'll check with the guy and let you know. Could use some maint. but I'd assume you're up for that?

That would be a great winch. I'm all out of play money at the moment though... nuts :(

That front bumper looks like a Warn 'Classic'.

:cool:

This one used to be chrome but someone spray painted it so I'll probably touch it up a bit and call it good.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just got back from a three day weekend at Little Sahara. Good times with some old friends!

I took my 84 CR500R which ended up giving me some fits but I can't complain overall the entire trip was a lot of fun. The IDI pulled the camper, car hauler with my bike and 3 quads and an enormous amount of gear/fire wood very well on the ride down and back :cool:

Didn't get many pics.. as usual.

photo-34_zps208879ea.jpg

photo-35_zps98e1a2a8.jpg

sixb

Will work for beer!
It was when you got that truck that got me thinking i needed one to. I have always liked the older ones, actually my first new vehicle was a 88 f150 with the 300 six and a 5 sp. I also bought a 90 and a 97 new. Last year i bought a 88 f350 with a 7.3 and a 5spd that i plan on putting a Cummins in some day.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks guys!

It was when you got that truck that got me thinking i needed one to. I have always liked the older ones, actually my first new vehicle was a 88 f150 with the 300 six and a 5 sp. I also bought a 90 and a 97 new. Last year i bought a 88 f350 with a 7.3 and a 5spd that i plan on putting a Cummins in some day.

:cool:. This truck replaced my 92 first gen Cummins 4x4 5speed. I loved everything about that truck but I couldn't go on without four doors any longer :-\ My brother has a 95 CC F350 with a VE pump Cummins under the hood. Outstanding truck! I've contemplated doing a swap in mine someday but I don't think I could bring myself to do it. The IDI has been such a great engine for my needs--as long as it keeps going I'm more than happy.