RRO's JP-Eater YJ conversion for the Sami.

I recently got the privilege to try out Rocky Roads JP-Eater YJ spring conversion. I had been shopping around for sometime and had looked at many other vendors. I personally did not like the missing link or the shackle reversal setups. When I saw what Rocky Road offered I thought this is the ticket. The kit comes with everything you’ll need to install this with the exception of the springs. Springs can be found in a junkyard, 4x4 shop or you can purchase them new from Jeep. I chose to purchase new springs (6pack).
The install is very easy and straight forward. You will need a metric wrench set, small sledge hammer, drill and bits up to ½", a grinder, vise grips and a floor jack and stands.
The kit comes with all the hardware and a very nice and complete set of instructions to get you on your way to a very nice ride and awesome flex.
Park your sami on a hard level surface and raise it using your jack, make sure to use your stands when you go to remove your tires. Remove the U-bolts and disconnect the axles from the springs. The next step is to remove the springs. Note: The shackle end will usually come off very easily, however the fixed end is usually rusted and may have to be cut off. When the springs are removed drill the current holes to ½" on the spring hanger itself.
The rear axle is usually easier to do since there are no steering components to deal with. Locate the rear YJ spring hanger and install using the supplied hardware. You will have to drill some 3/8" holes to finish the install. The holes you need to drill are predrilled in the spring hanger. When that is finished install the rear shackle. It bolts into the same place your sami shackle bolted into. Next install the springs. Move the rear axle into position and install the axle relocation pad. You will notice the spring plate has an offset hole drilled in it. It must point towards the front of the vehicle. The spring plates and hangers are stamped with the proper position they should be in. Install your axle and torque your u-bolts. I usually torque mine to 50 foot pounds. The factory calls for 47-52. Install and torque your wheels and you are finished.

Next we move onto the front axle. There is a lot more to do here. You will need to remove your front bumper to install the supplied frame extensions. Once the bumper is removed locate your frame extension brackets (stamped for correct position) and find the Drivers Front. Remove the factory rubber bushing where your shackle originally went. You will be installing a 2" long steel sleeve into this position. When this is installed you can slip the frame extension bracket into place over the end of the frame. With the bracket in place you can start bolting it into position. Use the long threaded bolt and insert it in the top, while doing this you will need to install the nuts (sandwiching the frame between them). Use the “nylock” nut on the very end of the bolt. With the frame extensions in place move to the spring hangers. You will have to do some drilling here just as you did with the rear set-up. Install the springs, shackles and relocation pads and you are finished.
Please be sure to double check your work to ensure that all nuts and bolts are tight. Bleed the brakes and torque your wheels. This install took me only a few hours using air tools. If you do not have air tools then the install time may take you longer to do, however I feel it is easily done in an afternoon.
Enjoy you new springs, ride and flex.

I hope to see you out on the trails.
If you have any questions you may contact Rocky Road Outfitters by phone or e-mail.
435-654-1149 gwbuild@rocky-road.com

Jim Phillips
jp008@msn.com
Layton Ut.

Rear spring hanger

jp008

Another finished view.

My sami originally had RRO's 6" SPOA. I removed it and installed some MOPAR perches. (VERY BEEFY) The reason I did this was the window sill on my sami ended up being 5' from the ground and I had a severe driveline angle. For those of you wanting to go this route I suggest to do a "typical 4"-5" spring over offered through RRO" and not to go with the 6".

Boy those clevis hooks look beefy........ Thanks to the board and to Rock Logic for them. (won at the 1st drawing for the board)

Last edited:

jp008

I like jeeps they make good parts.

(edit) I have not had a chance to test it yet. I will be testing it hopefully next weekend 3-29 or 3-30. I still have a couple of things to finish (gears and misc. items) before I go out.

Last edited:

jp008

Well the trail report is as follows. I took it to Moab over EJS and the new spring performed flawlessly. I removed the spring clamps on all 4 springs (knowing I would get the dreaded ~ in the springs. I did not get hardly any spring wrap. Like I said earlier I used the 6 pack springs and low perches. These combos helped big time.

There is one thing I NEED to do to improve my flex. I must have longer front shocks. The short shocks really limited the full potential of this conversion.

Thanks to all involved in this little venture.

Last edited: