RUBICON, 6/25/2010

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I have wanted to go run the rubicon for years now.
We finaly made it out there, this last week.
first I had to finish my suspension & steering :mad: :eek:

we headed out early on wed. & made it to the trail head that evening.
the scenery coming in from tahoe was awesome!
we camped at the trailhead that night, got up & headed out on the trail in the morning. ( some pics to get started)
(Ill post as many pics as I can)

Attachments

• DSCF0015rub.jpg
    DSCF0015rub.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0017rub.jpg
    DSCF0017rub.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0012rub.jpg
    DSCF0012rub.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 58

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
the first section of the trail is realy cool! It has some awesome views & scenery!
I new the trail had some granite boulders & slabs but I didnt know that the whole mountain was granite, WOW! this first pic shows what they call the bowl (all granite, w/pines growing out of the cracks)
the lake is Loon lake

Attachments

• DSCF0026rub.jpg
    DSCF0026rub.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0027rub.jpg
    DSCF0027rub.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0029rub.jpg
    DSCF0029rub.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
We had 4 rigs in our group & 1, 4-wheeler (my dad)
my yota, d's runner, joes cj & kevins rubicon
the trail gets buisey right of the bat, as you climb up through the bowl
& down into some pines. there are giant boulders all over & tons of them right in the trail (the way we like it!) so right of the bat you get to start playing around on boulders.
the first named obstacle that we came to was the soup bowl.

Attachments

• DSCF0033rub.jpg
    DSCF0033rub.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0051rub.jpg
    DSCF0051rub.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0054rub.jpg
    DSCF0054rub.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 67

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
We made our way down the trail to (little sluce) Its a fun little ravine about 50 yrds long & has a few big boulders that are slicker that snot & pointy. Darrel & I both wanted to play around, darrel pulled in first & made short work of most of it, 3/4 of the way through there are 2 big boulders that didnt like us! darrel finaly made it through.
I pulled in & made my way up to the big boulders & as I was tangling with them I broke a stub shaft & a hub, (driver side) lame!!! so we parked there & pulled out the tools.
BTW: If you run this trail & want to play, bring plenty of spare parts!
we got the shaft thrown in, (after after arguing with a slightly expanded spindle)
& we went to find a spot to camp.As we made our way down the trail, we had planned on camping at "Buck Island",
we talked to a few guys on the trail that mentioned that there was a young bear hanging around Buck island & stealing food.

Attachments

• DSCF0058rub.jpg
    DSCF0058rub.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0055rub.jpg
    DSCF0055rub.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0038rub.jpg
    DSCF0038rub.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 68

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
We decide to stay up a little higher & camp, as we found out the next day, there are quite a few people that camp at buck Islad, so we were glad that we stayed up high.
fri. morning we got up & hit the trail again, we went down big sluce & into rubicon springs, then up cadilac hill. we ate lunch at the top of cadillac hill & turned around there (the map shows 25 miles of dirt road to tahoe)
the sec. from little sluce over to & through big sluce was the best part of the trail, as far as difficulty. BIG boulders, BIG ledges, DEEP watter crossings.
the watter crossings topped my 42" Irocs, (made it tough for my dad on the wheeler)
As we headed back to camp, we were making our way up the big sluce & there was a spot in there that had 6' tall boulders in a shelf that I wanted to try & climb.
I ended up breaking my pass. stub shaft & hub, lame!!! I pulled the hub gears & 3 wheeled it back to camp (it was getting dark).
the next morning, sat. we found paw prints & alot of missing food. & a bunch of mud in my front seat.

Attachments

• DSCF0064rub.jpg
    DSCF0064rub.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0069rub.jpg
    DSCF0069rub.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1030435bear.jpg
    P1030435bear.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 65
  • P1030437wheeler.jpg
    P1030437wheeler.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P1030446loon.jpg
    P1030446loon.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
sat morning I threw in another shaft, (had to take the knuckle of, the spindle had expanded too much)
the traffic on the trail was crazzy on sat. we must have passed at least 150 - 200 rigs
Ive never seen that many rigs on a trail, WOW!
we stopped at the little sluce to see if anyone else was playing, on our way out.
the sluce was empty, I walked in looking at different lines, (knowing if I broke my junk again my buddies might leave me there)
darrell gave me the OK. he said, as long as I dont have to drag you out on a strap.
I think carrying all the extra gear, watter, gas, tools, parts. was a little harder on the axles.
so I went in & played around, got high centered & tipped it over twice. I had a blast & didnt break anything!
heres a few pics from the sluce & some video of the trail

Attachments

• P1030438.JPG
    P1030438.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 67
  • P1030439.JPG
    P1030439.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 66
  • P1030440.JPG
    P1030440.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P1030444.JPG
    P1030444.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P1030445.JPG
    P1030445.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 72

jdub

Scrambler
How did your friends Scrambler do? Did he have any issues with the rear overhang? Makes me want to plan a trip but it seems super tough. Bummer on the broken junk.

Nice trail report! Thanks for the pics. Do you have any more of your friends CJ?

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
How did your friends Scrambler do? Did he have any issues with the rear overhang? Makes me want to plan a trip but it seems super tough. Bummer on the broken junk.

Nice trail report! Thanks for the pics. Do you have any more of your friends CJ?

His crambler is SOLID! 38" sx, 14 bolt & 60, 350 cc
It does real well & didnt have any problems. soem of the trail you can pick & choose how tuff you want to make it.
I dont think my dad will ever be seen on a four wheeler out there again lol